When Does The Heart Heal...

Sheshe

Sheila, I feel your immense pain and sorrow. I am sorry for the loss of your sweet babies. In 2010, I lost my heartdog Indy; then lost my three hounds - Holly, Lure, and Chauncy - between Dec 2011 and May 2012. All were seniors but that didn't make it hurt any less. In fact, it still seems rather surreal.

Sigh. I'm not convinced that the heart "heals" and I do believe "loss" changes us. After losing virtually all of my relatives, my mom, and my four hounds - I cannot say I am the same person that I used to be. Not that it's good or bad - just different. Perhaps it's a matter of a changing perspective?? Learning what matters most. Maybe it's growing older. Maybe it's just life.

So we soldier on. I agree with the others in that I believe the heart does grow - but with a little more scar tissue to bear. Despite my losses and heavy heart, I adopted a senior female grey in April (to be a companion to Chauncy who I unexpectantly lost six weeks later); anyway, she turned 13 in Sept) but after Chauncy died I couldn't find a suitable senior grey companion for her so I adopted a noisy, busy 11-1/2 yr old Collie-Basset mix whose family didn't want him anymore (after the kids teased and tormented the poor soul to the point of snarking - so, of course, he had to go.). He will be 12 this month.

I believe we all compartmentalize. Every love and loss has its own special place in my heart. There is no competition for space as there is plenty of room for all.

Hugs to you.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

In 21 months I've lost my mom and five good hounds, including both my heart dog and his friend just last week. IndyandHollyluv's post about soldering on with a little more scar tissue to bear is probably more than a little close to the truth.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Downtownhoundz

:grouphug I miss all of mine for different reasons. A few were extra special. When one goes, a hole opens up and when the next one comes, they fill a little bit of that hole so my heart is never totally destroyed.

It doesn't matter if they are with you 3 months or many years. It just hurts. I know I'll see them again. It's the only thing that keeps me going.

Diane said this so very well.... It's been 3 years since my heart girl crossed over and I STILL miss her !

I still miss my babies that have been gone 13 yrs now.

In the last two years I've lost 4 greys (One I had only 18 days), one horse and had to give back one grey. I keep saying no more, but I have three and keep looking at a 4th.

My heart looks like a patchwork quilt right now. From all the holes my Bridgebabies made to all the new patches my earth babies put on it.

Guest budsmom

Sigh. I'm not convinced that the heart "heals" and I do believe "loss" changes us. After losing virtually all of my relatives, my mom, and my four hounds - I cannot say I am the same person that I used to be. Not that it's good or bad - just different. Perhaps it's a matter of a changing perspective?? Learning what matters most. Maybe it's growing older. Maybe it's just life.

I believe we all compartmentalize. Every love and loss has its own special place in my heart. There is no competition for space as there is plenty of room for all.

This is probably the best description I've seen. After losing my heart kitty last December, I am not the same person I was before. I used to think that if it didn't kill you it made you stronger, but not anymore. I think a part of me really did die with him, which is why I'm now a different person. My new kitten has brought life and happiness back to my house, and I love him with all my heart, but it's diferent - he doesn't replace my loss, he's sort of the scar tissue over the hole that's still there.

Losing a heart dog is painful. The heart heals a little and loves again, but never completely recovers.

I lost Whizzer to osteosarcoma in October 2010. I lost my heart dog Yankee in March 2012 and Rachel just a few weeks ago. I miss them all. I miss certain things about Whizzer and certain things about Rachel because they were special. However, my heart aches when I think about how much I miss Yankee.

Sometimes I think it's a bit like an old knee injury. Most days it doesn't hurt, but then that cold front comes through...

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

sending many hugs..... Not sure it will ever heal. We are still broken hearted from losing Chip, Wendel, Gracie and now pugsley.

it just never gets easier, but our memories can shed some warmth and sunshine on our hearts when we need them.

Tammy

and her troops

PS...I truly truly believe that the greyhound heart is touched by the profound sense of loss they feel when a sibling must leave for the rainbow bridge.

there are days that even after all this time, I see the sadness in Tessa's eyes and I know she is missing them.

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

• 2 weeks later...

:grouphug

I am not sure that the heart ever heals but I am sure that I would not trade a second of the pain of losing one of my beloved hounds to the sheer joy I had from having them in my life. And i know that as time passes the tears somehow are replaced with smiles as I remember all the special times we had together.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I really wish I knew. I thought adopting again would help, and I love Henry dearly, but if anything it's made me terrified I'll forget Patrick.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I really wish I knew. I thought adopting again would help, and I love Henry dearly, but if anything it's made me terrified I'll forget Patrick.

This worries me, too, about mine. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

This worries me, too, about mine. :grouphug

I thought my heart was well on its way... until I realized this weekend brings a sad anniversary. Tomorrow will be one year since Honey left for the bridge. I did not forget and I don't think you will, either

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)