Best Dog Food

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

For the money, what is the best dry dog food there is? I saw a commercial today for Blue Longevity and was thinking about buying that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really the best dog food is the one "your" dog does good on and that fits "your" budget. I'll tell you what is working for mine and that is California Natural Grain-free Venison and Potato. It is admittedly higher priced than grocery store brands, but is actually pretty decently priced when compared to big box pet store foods. I was surprised to find that it was cheaper than the Nutro Grain-free Venison and Potato. Not only is it less expensive it has more calories per cup so you feed less and right now Natura foods, i.e. California Natural are buy 10 bags get 1 free. And as for output I'm so impressed I'd swear I was feeding raw if I didn't know better. That's my experience, others will have other foods that work for their dogs.

Guest KsFrets

Ours do fine on Wal-Mart Green bag Purina. We do mix some more expensive, higher protein, better ingredients stuff in there... but have to be careful, because too much and poo scooping time aint fun. We've done Nutro, Cannidea, Chicken soup, TOTW and several others, but never had much luck. One of these days I'm going to try green bag IAMs... it seems to get the best reviews here.

Really the best dog food is the one "your" dog does good on and that fits "your" budget.

:nod

My guys had no real issues with Kirklands Lamb & Rice, but we made the switch to raw several months ago and will never go back to kibble.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The best dog food is whatever your houndies do best on. My two girls do well on Nature's Domain from Costco. But that is just my girls. I would say try a few and see how your pups handle it i.e. energy-wise, poop production and consistency, how their coats look. Every hound is different.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

:sheep :sheep :sheep :sheep :sheep Nothing actually wrong with following the flock to high end kibbles, but the dog almost certainly couldn't care less.

Feed just enough but not too much of any brand that lists the meat products individually and which your dog's digestive system is happy with. Most of us will buy little bags first to see how the dog does on it and then buy a large bag from a warehouse or tractor store kind of place.

Even though Iams green bag comes from the 'dark' corporate side it works well for a lot of dogs. Peggy goes off it after a while though so I only give it if she gets into diarrhea issues and then change back to something similar when the beg is empty.

I haven't used it (yet) but the adoption group I'm working with really like's Costco's brand for a good combination of cost and quality.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

:sheep :sheep :sheep :sheep :sheep Nothing actually wrong with following the flock to high end kibbles, but the dog almost certainly couldn't care less.

Yes s/he could if they gave him or her the runs. ;)

Buddy doesn't have poop problems but he and Poodle both need lowfat food so I can't feed green or red bag I don't like Iams weight management formula so they both eat Purina One weight management.

If I could feed any "grocery store food" to a dog with no poop, weight or diabetes issues I'd probably feed this:

INGREDIENTS: Chicken, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole oat meal, whole barley, soybean meal, whole brown rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), dried beet pulp, dried egg product, natural flavor, fish oil, caramel color, salt, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, dried apples, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. B-4280

One of the sainted dog food rating sites said they'd have given it 4 stars except for the menadione.

Overall, green bag is probably the best food for the money. When times were really tough my guys ate dog chow and were just fine.

Ole Roy! *ducks and runs*

Wait - I am NOT feeding my dog some Wal-Mart food from Mexico! ;):lol

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Downtownhoundz

My boy, doesn't like ANY Iams products...he's so picky, that's what made me think about the Blue Longevity...I dunno with this guy anymore! He wants whatever I'm eating and won't take no for an answer!

i've just started to introduce blue seal lamb and rice since the nutro recipe change. the woman i board w/ has greys and danes and they do really really well on it. ingredients look good, price is right,so, i figured why not??

http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-and-mgmt/dog-cat/LifeStages_LambRiceDog.pdf 40# for $37, gotta give it a try

i can't stand when these companies improve their food...been there too many times over the years.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest Leah_siewert

I actually feed my 85 pound boy wellness super 5 mix either the chicken or whitefish and mix in the occasional wellness core high protein food. He loves this food and has a beautiful coat, more healthy energy and good poops. He will get occasional mix in of wellness simple wet food which is a simple recipe for sensitive tummys

Guest newgreymama

Cora isn't picky, she is a very good eater, and we have been feeding her the Costco Kirkland stuff. her poop goes from normal, firm to soft and gross and we have been feeding her the same food since we got her, so I think she just has a whackadoo colon and the consistency of her poop isn't from the food. She doesn't seem ill or upset when it does turn very soft, so we have kept her on the Kirkland stuff, but we might try the Iams green bag if it would keep her at a consistent firm poop.

Pretty sure that this is the most I've talked about poop since I had my first kid. LOL