Ruger Is Having An Amputation Today

After much soul searching, and information searching on synovial cell sarcoma, and testing to be sure he could handle the amputation, I made the decision to buy some more time and play the odds again. I lost on that bet with Mango 3 years ago, but this is a different cancer, with different odds, and I am a different person for having experienced osteo with Mango.

Although I didn't want to do amputation, and wouldn't have if this was osteo probably, I could not watch that tumor growing and Ruger progressively using his bad leg less. The tumor had doubled in size in just a week. Bleh - cancer. I hate it!

Update Post Surgery

Just got the call from my vet that Ruger is out of surgery and stable. The tumor that we couldn't even feel 4 weeks ago was baseball-sized, but it was well contained according to my vet is making sure to send it out for full biopsy so we can get a definitive confirmation of the type of cancer we are dealing with. If all goes well, my vet hopes to discharge Ru tomorrow. Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers. My heart still hurts at having to make this kind of decision, but I can breathe a little easier knowing we are past the surgery.

10/8 Update

Realized I hadn't posted an update in awhile. He's doing great. The amputation incision is healing well, the bruising is abating, and he is up and about and ready to go. I didn't quite know what to expect because Mango had such terrible complications. Ruger seems to be the complete opposite. I'm still waiting for the pathology report on the tumor, and OSU has responded to my request for a consult, so I will be routing that result, and hopefully, the slides, to them for review as well. Now I'm off to search GT for info on cancer diets and supplements. I didn't do much of that with Mango, but I'm resolved to try to get my act together with Ru and support his system as much as I can to battle any cancer that is left in his system. Thank you all again for all your support and prayers. It really is appreciated.

10/15 Update

Well, I'm still not sure what type of cancer I'm dealing with here. I requested a surgical biopsy when the leg was amputated. The local lab came back with a dx of Osteosarcoma, but included a comment about parosteal tissue. My vet requested clarification, but the lab is not really giving him a better answer. I've never heard (not that I think I have heard it all) of an osteo tumor outside of the bone. This tumor was soft tissue, not in the bone, but attached to the bone. My vet's office did forward my request to the lab to have the slides sent to OSU, and Dr Kellogg there has confirmed she has them, so maybe they will be a little more willing to be specific about the dx. On the up side, Ruger had his stitches out today, the incision is healing terrifically well, and he is moving around with more and more ease. Hardest part is watching him try to figure out how to lower himself to a laying position, and he whines yet doing that. But otherwise, he is doing great. I even had him out to an event on Saturday (it was a low-key, casual kind of event where he could park himself on a blanket and soak up the attention that he so loves) and he was fine. I figured I would keep this thread updated since I'm encountering some cancer types that are not so commonly seen, in the event someone else ends up hearing them with regard to their own pup. I need to get some new pictures of him.

Here's a pic of Ruger yesterday, showing off his new collar from Holly at The Unruly Hound. Ruger has always been a protector, of his pack, his momma, and even of my friends. We've nicknamed him The Sheriff, and I knew Holly had this collar, so I contacted her the other night and we met yesterday to bestow official Sheriff status on my boy.

TheSheriff210012012.jpgTheSheriff10012012.jpg

Edited by mangos_mom

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Good thoughts for Ruger. I hope all goes well and we'll be waiting on an update.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

sending many, many prayers for Ruger! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hope his recovery goes well. :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Hoping he is recovering well here too!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I hope Ruger recovers from his surgery quickly and well, and enjoys life for a long time to come.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Great to read Ruger is out of surgery and doing well. You will find he will be up and about in no time. No second thoughts, you are doing what you feel is right for your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Okay, I seem to always have trouble finding the edit button, so I'll just post here. Ruger is HOME! He's doing very well, although he is still very sleepy on the painkillers. The incision looks great - not nearly as bad as I expected. I'm just very glad to have him back and under my care. Now to get him healed.

Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Just tried to get him up and he couldn't steady himself, so I laid him back down and stepped out to the back porch for a minute, which is just a half dozen steps from where Ruger is laying in the living room. Left the door open and had no sooner sat down when I heard a thunk from inside. By the time I got to the door, Ru was on his feet and steady as can be. (The thunk was him hitting the entertainment center as he got up.) He wouldn't move and I thought maybe he needed to potty, so I carried him outside and set him down. Nope - boy had his own ideas and promptly headed, albeit slowly and cautiously, back into the house, where he picked a new spot to lay down, circled himself a half dozen times while he figured out how to lower himself, and settled back down.

It always amazes me to see how much determination my dogs have, even with a surgery like this one.

All of your good thoughts are working, as he had eaten a little bit and drunk water twice now on his own. The Power of Greytalk - it's a wonder! :)

Greyhounds Unlimited

Great news that he is home! Each day he will improve. Continued good thoughts for a quick healthy recovery.