Jnb Apple Butter 8-18-01 - 8-14-12

Guest vahoundlover

Guest vahoundlover

I don't know that I can do Butter justice writing this but I have to try. Our hearts are broken over what August dealt us, so much pain and sadness; it's hard to sort it all out. August 8th my DH and his family had to make the agonizing decision to take his dad off of life support, the following Tuesday, Aug 14; I had to make the decision to let Butter go without DH by my side and if that wasn't enough, my dad died unexpectedly the following Wednesday, August 22nd. How about that?! 2 dads and 1 dog in 2 weeks. To say we are in a state of shock is an understatement. If it wasn't for a brand new job keeping my brain scrambled ,(3rd day when I got the phone call about my dad), I don't think I'd be functioning right now. But this isn't about our dads, this is about my pretty little redhead, Butter.

Butter was our 3rd greyhound. I saw her picture on our groups website and had to have her, maybe it was the description about how tiny she was. Perhaps it was her picture. Whatever it was, I wouldn't let it drop. I worked on DH and worked on him, he finally agreed to go meet her. She was not a delicate girl, she was built! But she was also a bit scared of people. You'd call her name and she'd drop to the ground, if she thought you were going to do something to her, she'd make her self as small as possible. The funny thing was, she loved to go places with us, she handled parades, M&G's, Mountain Hounds etc without batting a lash. As time went on, dropping to the ground was no longer a reaction but she never got over the "oh God, they are going to do something to me, I better make myself as small as possible".

Butter welcomed the arrival of Boss, Muffy, Curly, Nod, Mack, Harriet, Kirston and GinGin. She also said goodbye, to Dolly, Boss, Buster, Kirston, Muffy and Sheba. She never protested but I think she would have preferred a life as one of a few instead of one of many. Butter loved to hang out in the yard, chase squirrels and just enjoy a nice afternoon outside. Most of all, she just wanted to be loved and admired. My sweet little redhead, was just that, a sweet little girl.

In July we started having problems with her eating, Within a week, she was sick, very sick, she spent a week at our vets during the day and we brought her home at night. We thought the horrible storm (derecho) we had, had blown something into the area or was it the monster we all dread? On Friday, we arrived at the vets and went back to see our girl, fully prepared to let her go. I had asked the vet not to drug her up so we could really evaluate where we stood. I wanted to see if the pain meds were making her so lifeless or was she really not getting any better. My vet had given her a small dose of pain meds and we felt we couldn't fully evaluate her so we took her home for *one more night* All night, DH and I felt so guilty for putting through *one more night* but Saturday morning, we awoke to our girl almost acting like her ol self. We were ecstatic! OMG we almost let her go!! Butter was never 100% herself but she was damn close for a couple of days, we still had a struggle getting her to eat anything decent but she was eating, she was participating in life and once again, she wanted to be loved on. Each day that passed, I quietly noticed she seemed to be slipping, not much, just a hair more each day. 16 days later, she crashed and I had to rush her to the vet and let her go. We later learned our suspicions were true, it was cancer.

My pretty little girl that spinned, ran fast as the wind, who made my heart smile when it wanted to cry, my pretty little girl that I love so very much.......Butter :f_red

Feb11snow2028.jpg

Christmasparade2006030.jpg

BigBedtoPlayingBall135.jpg

AllthekidsandGANNecklaces023.jpg

CelebratingBossys3rdGotchaDay12--18.jpg

Misc9-6-08090.jpg

Run Free Sweet Heart

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww.... as soon as I saw her name on this thread, I said, "I remember that dog!" Sure enough, she was one of our JCKC doggies. If I remember correctly, I told Sara she was tiny, but built like a "little brick sh&^ house"! And, I remember her falling down, making herself tiny act.

Run free, sweetie!!! You had a great life!!! Your people loved you so much and will miss you terribly!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest vahoundlover

Awww.... as soon as I saw her name on this thread, I said, "I remember that dog!" Sure enough, she was one of our JCKC doggies. If I remember correctly, I told Sara she was tiny, but built like a "little brick sh&^ house"! And, I remember her falling down, making herself tiny act.

Run free, sweetie!!! You had a great life!!! Your people loved you so much and will miss you terribly!

Pam, you got it right on all accounts! She was something else! Our home seems to have a lot less spark without her :cry1

She was beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I'm so sorry Butter had to leave you. What an incredibly beautiful and well-loved girl.

My condolences on the loss of your dads as well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Beautiful tribute for a beautiful girl. I'm so sorry she had to leave.

Run free Butter. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest OPointyDog

She sounds like a very special girl. I'm so sorry for all you've been through - what a couple of weeks!! Hope you've found some ways to be good to yourselves in this hard time.

I love your tribute to your pretty little Butter girl. My tears were replaced with a smile at the photo of her flying! I am so very sorry for all your heart aches :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Godspeed little girl f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest 4rooers

Hope, you and Allen have opened your hearts and home to so many, and I know that they have all felt the special love that you have for each and every one. Butter was a very lucky girl to have been a part of your family. My heart breaks for you and your losses.

Godspeed, sweet Butter, you are greytly loved. :f_whitef_yellow:f_white

What a special girlie! I am so glad that you were able to wear your husband down. I am deeply sorry for all your losses. My thoughts are with you and your family.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry for all f your losses, especially Butter. Your tribute is so beautiful, the last line brought me to tears. Please know we're thinking of you at this most difficult time. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross