Homer's Mom Is Looking At A New Pup... Questions!

Guest Alysmom

Guest Alysmom

Hi Grey Friends --

I am finally looking for another grey to come fill this house with love. Missing Homer is just so very hard (still!). However, it has been over a month, and I have decided he would want me to help another homeless hound. Here's the situation -- the local GPA group has approved me for another (yippee!). I met a little girl dog last weekend at the GPA annual picnic. She is 14 months old and very, very shy. Her story is that she (and 22 others) came from a breeder who decided "these won't race" and he loaded them up in a trailer and brought them on a 22 hour trip to the NW (from what I understand no breaks out of the trailer). This girl, and a couple of others were very stressed. They tell me she is 100 times better than when she got here (I think 2 months ago???). Anyway, she is very timid. I held her, scratched her, walked her on a leash (she walks, but no leash manners) she let me look in her ears, look at all her feet, her tail, teeth, etc. Never offered to growl or snip -- just roll-over submissive type.

Homer was BIG....88 pounds!! This little thing is about 35-40 pounds (teeny). I can send a photo if you'd like... my daughter took one with us together. What has been your experience with timid dogs. Of course, I don't want a fear biter or someone who will be wierd when anyone strange comes in the house or a psycho dog!!! They tell me she is getting better and with love she will blossom. Of course, that is my dream for her (she is beautiful). Her racing name (and what they call her) is Windup. I thought I'd call her "winny" (we have horses so it is double meaning), but it means "fair and soft". They are sending her to "cat college" this week to see how she does with cats (we have elderly kitties). She's never been in a house before, so we shall see if she graduates -- then she can come here...

Any thoughts from the experts???? I appreciate your input very much!!!

Today's my birthday, so I kind of want to get excited and think she is a birthday present to me....but I dont want to get too excited too soon.. :)

Julie

Ahh, my girl was super shy and timid when she arrived and watching her personality blossom and her confidence grow has been such a rewarding experience in every way. There's nothing like it. Bring her home and show her what love means, you will never regret it. :)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

OH MY GOSH!!! Yay! I think you should! You can so be her strength and shower her with love and watch her personailty blossom. And what a pretty little thing she is! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! :blowcandle:beatheart

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Winny doesn't sound all that timid to me. My spooky girl would not let us get a hand on her for 10 months.

Winny just sounds young and unsure of herself to me. I agree with Jenbo. Bring her home, shower her with love

and attention and you will not know she is the same dog in a few months. Take things slow and let her figure

her new life out for herself. Don't expect too much from her and let her come to you. I promise you, she will.

I love my big goofy boys, but I will never be without a female in the house. In my experience females provide

balance and compliment the goofy nature of the boys with a little more independence and smarts.

Happy Birthday! I would love to see a picture of Winny!

There she is. Beautiful!

We adopted a very shy tiny female. It took a little bit of time and effort to build her confidence and trust but watching her blossom was incredible. She learned to be affectionate, loving and would come running to us with excitement at her walks. Dylan was always a little shy with strangers but at home she was a happy, sweet girl.

Your new girl is a beauty. Happy Birthday, Julie!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

We adopted a Spanish Greyhound (Galgo) that was very abused, so did not trust people (Marco in my siggy). It took a while, but he is now totally fine with us, a normal, healthy dog. He still shies away from strangers a bit but that has improved a lot over the last 5 years. I say GO FOR IT, give yourself a nice Birthday present!

Oh, and :b-day :b-day :b-day :b-day :b-day

Winny is beautiful!!!!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

My first grey was shy and timid (and a fawn!) She never really got over being shy around strange people, and she was a total breed snob :lol However, she loved being around other greyhounds, and once she settled into my house, she slowly blossomed into the sweetest dog I've ever had. This little girl is so young, she may loose most or all of her shyness once she feels safe and comfortable in your home :)

Guest Alysmom

Soooooo fun reading your posts!!! You have boosted my confidence!!! Thanks so much....now we just pray she passes "cat college" next week..... How long do you thinks she should stay there? They left it up to me...I said at least a week. It is a house with four cats and 3 greys..... Does that sound reasonable? I was thinking the first couple of days she will just be scared and needs a few days to realize it is safe and okay....

I agree with Jenbo on the week! Sooo excited for you!!!!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Hi! I thought that was you! I was the one left holding Xena's leash in the foster pen!

All these dogs are VERY young and pretty timid. It's hard to say how outgoing they will ultimately become. It's also really hard to assess their personality when they are in such a chaotic and stressful environment as the picnic. Remember, in the last two months, they've been uprooted from their only home on the farm, transported across the country, been spayed and vetted, and put in a totally new environment. And they are still less than 18 months old!

I would say, if you definitely want a super outgoing, meet-n-greet type of dog, you may be disappointed (though maybe not, hard to say). But if you are fine with a wonderful, loving home-body, then she will be all that and more. The little black-and-white girl in with Wind-Up who wouldn't let anyone touch her? Her foster mom (where your girl is going to cat college) says she is happy and fun and settling in nicely at home. It took about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, so you'll need some patience, but I think she'll be fine.

At least a week at cat college, and then see how she's doing.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

She's gorgous ..... and you look SO happy!

:goodluck for Kitty college

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

she'll be fine, annie who is a look-a-like little red fawn girl took 2 years to finally feel comfortable. we almost forget about her jumping out of her skin when the tv changed it's volume during commericals. give her time and love. btw- she was my dh's birthday present!

Guest Alysmom

Chris (greysmom) - wow, neat to find someone local here!!! Thanks for the reply!! I am trying so very hard to not get too caught up in emotion just in case it doesn't work out. In my life in the past few years, I've had a lot of bad stuff, so I have kind of been conditioned lately to the worst, unfortunately :( I also after such a huge loss with Homer, don't want to be in love with this little cutie and feel sad. I am, however, very optimistic! Janice said her gut feeling was that she would be just fine. My kitties are so old and trusting of hounds after Homer, I just want to be sure they are safe. I just love the local group here and I would love to volunteer to help on a regular basis. The picnic was an absolute blast. I felt like I had to dog shop seriously while I was there since I could see so many at one time, so I didnt get to look around as much as I would have liked to. Bobbing for hotdogs was an absolute hoot... I still laugh when I think about it.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I have just never been around girl hounds before, so I didn't know what to expect. I had the group I adopted Homer from tell me at the time I adopted him that I 'didnt want a girl - boys are nicer" -- so I guess that just sunk in a little too deep. (Someone's opinion). Kind of like with horses, some people swear by mares, others love geldings.... a personal preference....

My advice to people who are questioning whether they should adopt a shy or spooky dog is to consider whether they would be ok if the dog always has some limitations. Even true spooks (which this dog doesn't sound like) will usually adjust and be comfortable and loving with their family with enough time, but they may never be outgoing dogs who happily greet strangers. If you adopt a shy dog with the understanding that there may always be situations where they will be shy, then you will usually be pleasantly surprised by the progress they make. But if you get a shy dog with the intent of turning her into a social butterfly, there's a chance you'll be disappointed. From your description, it sounds like this little girl will probably be just fine given some time.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

We have one hound who's never met a stranger. And then we have Paige. Who isn't a spook but who completely shuts down with strangers and in strange situations unless I'm there. Over the past nine months, she has blossomed into a happy and affectionate dog in the home and a discerning one out of it. If your little one is good with kitties, go for it! She looks lovely!

Someone on the Bridge may be sending you a great big birthday wish today.

Hope you are enjoying your special day.

:gh_bow

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Also wanted to add that my first greyhound is also the first female dog I've had, not because of a particular preference - just happened that way. I'd always heard that males are more affectionate, more fun and loving, and I've found this to be true to some degree. But the bond I have with my girl is amazing, maybe also because she's also on the shy side and, from the beginning, has looked to me for guidance.

I actually prefer working with the shy dogs. I find that I bond more strongly to them, and it's such a wonderful experience to see them make progress. And it's pretty unusual for greyhounds to be fear biters, unless they're pushed to extremes. Most of the shy or spooky greyhounds tend to just freeze or try to bolt when they are scared.

There are some situations where my girl will snap, and I just have to make sure she isn't put in those situations. The main trigger is if she's lying down and a man approaches too quickly and leans over or reaches toward her, she may snap. But as long as she's standing, she will approach men and allow petting.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg