Homer's Mom Is Looking At A New Pup... Questions!

Guest Alysmom

Patience and a soft hand. That's all you need. :) Shy dogs are very special, IMO. It's wonderful to watch them blossom. If you work slowly and carefully, you can socialize her appropriately and get her used to new situations without fear. Once she feels secure at home, I think you will see a big change.

This is quite exciting - I hope everything goes well for her kitty testing. :)

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

My advice to people who are questioning whether they should adopt a shy or spooky dog is to consider whether they would be ok if the dog always has some limitations. Even true spooks (which this dog doesn't sound like) will usually adjust and be comfortable and loving with their family with enough time, but they may never be outgoing dogs who happily greet strangers. If you adopt a shy dog with the understanding that there may always be situations where they will be shy, then you will usually be pleasantly surprised by the progress they make. But if you get a shy dog with the intent of turning her into a social butterfly, there's a chance you'll be disappointed. From your description, it sounds like this little girl will probably be just fine given some time.

I agree. I've adopted two really shy dogs. Irys (galgo) has gone to The Bridge, but she eventually came to completely trust me with a lot of time and patience. She was not at all fearful at home when it was just me and the other dogs, but if someone she didn't know come over she got in her crate and trembled and wouldn't come out until they left. She eventually sort of accepted a couple of friends that she saw on a regular basis, but never liked strangers and never got used to events with a lot of noise and people. She LOVED to go for car rides, but didn't want to get out of the car unless it was back at home.

I've had Carly for 6 years. I adopted her at 3 years old. Although much, much improved, she is still spooky and quirky to this day. She likes to go for walks in a familiar place in the company of another dog (gives her confidence) and likes car rides, but will refuse to get out of the car in a strange place unless there's another dog with her that she trusts who gets out first. Because it gives her so much comfort, I've left her crate set up and she's in it most of the time by choice. After 6 years she still startles easily to household noise, and sudden movements on my part can still send her running to her crate. I knew she would be a challenge when I adopted her but I didn't know if she'd be one who would eventually be okay in social settings. After 6 years she's still not, but that's okay with me. Dogs like Carly aren't for everyone and that's okay too. I've had people say that they could never bond with a dog like her because she's so reserved and/ or they wouldn't want a dog that they couldn't take to events like Meet and Greets. I've seen quite a few shy greyhounds returned for this reason. She greets me with her funny, high-pitched bark and vigorous tail wags when I come home and is genuinely glad to see me, but she doesn't follow me from room to room like Cruz and Princess do. And just recently she's started seeking me out on her own to get petted, but mostly she's content to stay to herself.

I have a friend who adopted a shy dog three years ago. She still has some separation anxiety (which Carly doesn't), but with time and some medication, has come out of her shell and now enjoys Meet and Greets, strangers, and event did the Renaissance Festival last year.

If you know you definitely want a social dog, adopt a social dog. If it truly doesn't matter then, taking a shy dog is its very own rewarding experience. :) Good luck! I'm so glad you're going to adopt again. The perfect dog for you is out there.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest IrskasMom

First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Julie :balloonparty :balloonparty :balloonparty Homer was a very special Boy .IMHO Boys are more laid back . But in any way, maybe the Group lets you Foster and then you can see , if the little Girl fits in with you .

BTW . She looks just like my Morty . :nod

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Alysmom

Thank you very much for all the sweet birthday wishes, I appreciate that very much!! Yesterday, my DH built a very nice "potty yard" for the girl. The adoption worker said that our place (although wonderful for our big, goofy Homer) might be overwhelming for a timid and shy girl. She suggested making a smaller "yard" for her so she felt more secure. We used cattle panels (the kind with the squares). Homer had a run made of these, we broadened it out -- it was 5' wide x 16' long... Now it is 10' wide by 16' long. Bigger than a horse stall!!! We have five fully-fenced acres with an interior yard of about an acre fenced in. She thought it would just be too much at first. Now for the winter, she has a nice little turn out right outside the back door where she can just zip out and do her business. We can take walks on the property with the leash and she can get used to the cats in a more controlled way. Should work??? I am hoping anyway. I also put down some grass seed where we tore up the sod....now hopefully the grass will grow before the girl arrives and before the rain!!! It rains a lot here, so I am hoping for a nice, green and grassy little yard so we don't have a lot of mud in the winter!

I did do a lot of hugging on her last weekend at the picnic. She tolerated it well. She seemed like she'd rather be left alone, but she never moved away. I think that is a pretty good sign. I figured if I spend a bit of time on the floor with her with some biscuits she might decide it's okay to come and see me! :chow

Not that I am excited or anything (trying to remain calm)....but she already has a pink harness with black pawprints, a hot pink leash and a hot pink satin lined martingale collar with dasies on it..... :)

Sure hope she passes "cat college"..... I guess if not, there will be the right one out there someplace.....(she is sooooo cute though!!!)

I think she will pass with flying colors and am so excited for you!!!!!!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest Alysmom

MachosMom -- Thanks, I hope you're right on the cat school..... I am so sorry for your loss too... such a young boy!! So very sad, I know the heartache and I am so sorry!!!!

Guest ladyhound

I think that this little girl sounds like she would fit in just fine! I'll have my fingers crossed for her to pass the cat college. You sound like a perfect girl-grey owner to me. You already apparently got the memo about how we have gotta dress up the princesses in lovely pink finery just like what you've picked out. ;)

Edited by ladyhound

MachosMom -- Thanks, I hope you're right on the cat school..... I am so sorry for your loss too... such a young boy!! So very sad, I know the heartache and I am so sorry!!!!

Thank you. :)

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I'm excited for you--love the little girls :-). I adopted a very shy girl as a 2 yr old-she's now 10 and still shy outside of her comfort zone but, at home-gezz what a princess. I have learned throughout the years where she can and can not go and honestly, it's fine with me- we all have our own limitations.

I posted in the remembrance thread-wanted to know how you are doing-looks like maybe you found someone to help heal your heart-happy for you.

Bailey, our first greyhound was extremely shy. The first year at Dewey she wouldn't even come downstairs and lay with the other greyhounds and we had adopted her 2 years previously. She came downstairs the following year and everyone was so pleased with her progress. However, we never had any expectations, we accepted her and worked with her to make her feel comfortable.

Brooke is also shy and would have been extremely fearful if we hugged her on the first visit. Even now she won't allow men near her, and will go up to women if they don't go near her first. This is my perception of shy so I think your new girl is just a little "guarded". It sounds like you are a loving caring greyhound mom and will give her the best life ever :) Good Luck, Happy Birthday and I hope it all works out. I'm a firm believer that things always work out in the end...just be open to possibilities and opportunities.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I think she will be fine. She sounds like a young dog that has been raised on a farm and just not used to all the attention she is getting. It's not that they don't get attention on the farm but that they live a "dogs life", usually in acre sized pens running and playing all day. If they were deemed not worthy for the track then they miss out on the hands on attention that the others get through the training process. She will blossom and learn to love her new life.

You can adopt a bouncing outgoing dog from the kennel, take him home and he turns into a shy fearful dog. I had that experience with my first. It's all about letting them settle in and adjust. I don't ever tell adopters taking dogs home that what they see at the kennel is what they will get at home. I always tell them it will be a journey of discovery... that their dog will become who they are over a period of time. I have adopted 3 greys and long term fostered 1. NONE of them turned out to be like their "kennel reputations". but they all turned out well :heart

Fingers crossed that she passes her cat test. She looks and sounds like a real sweetie. :)

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey