Boozer

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

We adopted Boozer when he was almost 13. He left us 5 days after his 14th birthday, a tough and determined little guy. The smallest boy I've ever seen. He left us a week and a half after our Tobey (who we've had for 9 years). I haven't been able to write Tobey's Remembrance yet.

My Little Boo –

I am so grateful that you came to be with us for the last year and a half of your life. But I think back to all of your life that I missed, and I am sad. You were running at Dairyland when I graduated from college. When I adopted my first greyhound, you were running at Southland. All of that seems a lifetime ago, and for you it was. To think that if our paths had crossed sooner, I could have been your momma for as long as I was Palu and Tobey’s momma. I wish I had known you all that time.

I hope with all my heart that you knew love with your old family. That they deserved to have those 9 years with you. I want to hate them for returning you after all that time; I could not have returned you after knowing you for 9 minutes, let alone 9 years. I will never understand that. But in the end I am just thankful that you came to me finally.

I knew from the first moment I saw you that I would love you fiercely and deeply. That I would do anything to protect you and make you happy.

I also knew that you were almost 13 years old, and that any time I had with you would be a gift. You gave us a beautiful year and a half, far more than I had any right to expect. And every day I felt lucky to have you.

Everything feels empty without you here. I don’t have you to check on tonight, to make sure that you are safe and nested into your bed, resting comfortably. You’ve been constantly on my radar for all this time, and I find myself watching to make sure none of the young ones bump into you and knock you down, or take your favorite bed. Even with all these other dogs here, I don’t know what to do without you to take care of.

Of course, until the last you really didn’t need me to take care of you. You were a tough, sassy, spunky guy, full of life. You had the most intelligent and watchful expression, and you were the most food-motivated dog I’ve ever had. Imagine my surprise when the tiny, super-senior dog I had just adopted immediately puts his front paws up on the kitchen counter and grabs things. I will miss you dragging Sunny’s whole big backpack (half as big as you were!) from the kitchen to your bed, unzipping it, pulling out her lunchbox and seeing what you might find inside. I would just stand in amazement and watch you do it, determined and capable. If you found nothing you wanted, I would be so charmed by you that I would offer an apology and get you a snack from the kitchen for your trouble.

I knew you couldn’t really hear when the rustle of the treat bag failed to rouse you from sleep. But when you saw all the other dogs making their way to the kitchen, you would always get up and wind your way to the front of the line. After a while you learned that if you missed a treat, I would bring one to you on your bed. So sometimes you would sit there and wait for it, ears up and alert, knowing that I would not let you down.

You were not afraid of anyone, and never hesitated to give bigger, younger dogs a good grumph to put them in their place. And even though you were the oldest, the smallest and the most delicate, none of the other dogs ever questioned your authority about anything. They all knew that if you wanted a spot on a bed, they had better get out of it. If there was an argument, they would never try to involve you in it. You stayed above it all, and by my side. Even today, just an hour before you died, you decided Petey needed to be taken down a peg and you gave him a classic slow-motion snap right in front of his face. Big 2-year-old Petey high-tailed it out of your way. You made me laugh even when my heart was breaking. I told you, “That was awesome.”

You always wanted to be in the middle of things when we were showing adoptable dogs. I don’t know how many families came for a young fresh-off-the track dog and left wishing they could adopt you instead. Kids telling parents, “My favorite one is Boozer.” I would tell them you were 13 years old, and still they could not help being utterly taken with you. I know they will all remember you forever. Maybe some of them will open their hearts to a waiting senior someday because of you.

Your favorite thing was to be brushed, even though you hardly had any fur to speak of and certainly not enough to get matted. But when you saw the nubbly rubber glove come out, you would come out of nowhere to stand next to me. If I brushed another dog who actually needed brushing, you would get between me and them, telling me “I’m afraid it is my turn now, forget that other dog.” It felt so good that your legs would get weak and I would have to hold you up with one arm and brush you with the other.

Your favorite treat was Dairy Queen, and you were not the most patient pup while you waited for me to finish mine. I would hold my cup up close to my chest, one hand guarding it, and still your nose would find its way in. When it was your turn, I would hand you the whole cone and it would be gone almost before any of the other dogs even had one spoonful. Who is going to get the cone now, Little Boo? I miss you so much.

My little Nugget of Goodness. My little baby bear. I loved you more than you could ever know. I would have given anything for one more day with you, but I couldn’t let you hurt anymore. I don’t understand why loving you this much didn’t heal you. Every time a special one like you leaves, I am always bewildered that love could not make you well again and keep you here, that there is no magic in it to make you whole. Because I loved you with all my heart, little one. And even though I couldn’t take the cancer away, I hope you knew how loved you were and that this was your home forever.

I miss you my fuzzy little bean. I wish I could hold your tiny body in my arms again and pet your soft bunny fur. You brought me so much joy, laughter and amazement. I will always be grateful for the time we had together.

526653_3794867984494_1274651994_n.jpg

392718_2328523166790_1505564156_n.jpg

Guest fluteplayer67

What a lovely tribute, it brought tears to my eyes and a smile as well. I am so sorry for your loss but am so glad you were blessed with the time you had. Boozer was special indeed and so are you.

Well, I just fell in love! A glowing tribute to your very very special friend. I'm so glad you found each other and were blessed to share some time together. :grouphug:f_white

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Darned allergies. What a wonderful, endearing old man. I'm so sorry that you will be missing him now. :grouphug

Godspeed Boozer, sweet little boy. There are DQ's at the Bridge and no lines. :gh_run2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very sorry. As I read your post, I wish I had been able to express my thoughts about my old man as well as you were able to share Boozer with us.

Thank you for sharing him with us. I hope your heart heals.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so very sorry. You wrote a lovely tribute to your special--and oh so handsome--boy. I'm so glad he got to spend his last days with you.

Godspeed Boozer.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, beloved fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jen, he was a very special boy and I am truly sorry he could not stay longer. You showed him a wonderful last year of life and am sure he was very happy. And I am ever so sorry for your loss of Tobey as I know he was also very special and long-time member of your family.

Run free Boozer, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I don't understand why loving you this much didn't heal you.

That's something I've thought about a million times since Bee Wiseman died. :(

Godspeed, beautiful Boozer. Thanks for going him a loving home when he needed it most. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I so know how you feel. I wish I could write tributes as well as you have and others have. He reminds me of Princess and Willie and several others. All I can think of is how fortunate you found each other. He went in love -- all greyhounds should be so fortunate.

Sending my sympathy :f_white

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Boozer it sounds like you had a great year & half with your family. Sorry it wasnt longer for both of your sakes .Run free at the bridge with there is an endless supply of treats

:angelwings

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Oh, Jen, I knew that I would cry when I read this, because your tributes are so eloquent, perceptive and compassionate. But it just shows so clearly that he had finally found the perfect home where he was understood perfectly and loved unconditionally.

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet little old man. So hard whenever it happens, but doubly heartbreaking so soon after your precious Tobey. Sending hugs and much sympathy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown