Aquitane At Er After Grapehounds - Severe Legs Spasms

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my word. Is she getting fluids?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Sending positive vibes your way! Hope she is okay.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

sending MANY good thoughts her way!!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry. I hope Aquitane will be OK. We are at Grapehounds too right now. With three greyhound senior citizens, we spent at least half of our day laying down under the tents at Atwater.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Oh no. Dehydration? Low potassium (don't know if that effects greyhounds like it can humans). Sending good thoughts to Aquitane and to you, Carron. :candle

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Just back from vet. No dehydration. Electrolytes fine. ACL fine. Feet and forelegs fine. Not heat stroke. Temperature normal.

The dx is muscle strain/spasms from going in and out of the SUV. On Tramadol.

Thankfully our. Our combined suite at The Glass Magnolia includes a twin bed in Liz's room. That mattress has now been moved to the floor of my room so I can sleep by her on the dog bed. I was afraid that if I slept in my bed she might try to jump up there. She never sleeps with me unless we are traveling.

Unfortunately the blood and urine tests show that she is losing protein and there is some thought that she has PLE. The vet would not opine on a course of action. She wants me to talk to my own vet. Of course, but it is Saturday night and I want a plan for my girl. NOW!! I want to know she will be okay nd something in the back of my head is saying that is not the case. I know nothing about PLE and I am frantic.

I will say vets are far less costly up here. This would hve been a $2000 night in NYC but was under $400 here.

My friend Elizabeth and her pup Harry were lifesavers. Poor Harry was

So worried about his friend Aquitaine. On the way to the vet he lay facing her with his nose right up against her watching her. Love them.

Glad your baby is ok! As far as the ple--are her blood protein values low (albumin, total protein... (ple)) or does she have protein in her urine (pln)?

Greyhounds have lower blood total protein than other breeds do so that might not be an issue and pln (glomerulonephritis)-isn't all that uncommon in Ghs which there are treatments for.

Hope you both get some sleep tonight!!

Edited by tbhounds

I'm glad she is spending the night with you, I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight. Sending good thoughts to Miss A. Fingers and paws crossed that tbhounds is right.

Maybe some homemade stairs, ala Batmom's pattern, or a ramp for your girl getting into the SUV?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Couldn't update the original post. We are just back from the second vet visit. When we got home Sunday her right leg (left leg was the original spasm problem) was not weight bearing. I called my vet who said he wanted to give it another day of Tramadol and rest. Yesterday her walker and I noticed that the foot was swollen and an area that I had pointed out to the vet as scratched and asked her to check was now very red and hot. The vet in Ithaca didn't look but said I could put Neosporin on it if I wanted. This morning my vet said that if it was swollen I should bring her in to one of the practices he is affiliated with (he was working an emergency on another dog) to have it checked. Full check showed that the toe, which has a funky callus, had a cut that almost looked like the callus had caught on something and started to rip. We now have a medicated soak and Clavamox to add to the Tramadol. Since there may be kidney issues we decided against the Prevacox and I will give her liquid yucca if it looks like she is uncomfortable. Through this whole thing, she has not looked uncomfortable at all. I, however, look like an extra/scene filler in Les Mis...

There was a funny moment when the vet said she would get us a boot as she needed to be booted for walks. I told her I had boots. She questioned that. I told her I also have a field rescue stretcher. I had the support sling with me just to relieve her back leg. Don't mess with a greyhound mama.

She looked at the blood and urine results from Saturday night and didn't seem terribly put off by them. If anyone could tell me what they would need to look at to determine PLE/PLN I would happily post the results. I don't want to call my vet again today since he is working with an emergency.

I am off to have an adult beverage for my birthday. After this, it might be one of those giant tiki bowl sized ones with only 1 straw!