Homemade Dog Steps

Homemade steps - description:

Made these to help B. get in and out of the SUV safely. I tried a ramp and didn't like it, on to the steps!

Steps are 26" deep x 19" wide x @ 11" tall. Each step is 13" deep (front to back). Bottom step @ 6.5" tall, top step @ 4.5" tall.

Materials: 2" thick foam insulation board, glue for foam insulation board, carpet scraps for treads, a piece of rubberized shelf liner for the bottom (so it won't slide around), a short piece of rope for the handle, a 4" x 1.5" block of wood for the handle (you can't see the block of wood, it's at the back of the steps); Liquid Nails glue for foamboard (I think it was project or construction adhesive); duct tape to put the rubberized shelf liner on.

Tools: Hacksaw or your favorite small power saw or a serrated knife (steak knife) to cut the foam board, utility knife to cut the carpet scraps, scissors to cut the rope and shelf liner. I used a drill with long bit to make holes for the rope handle, but you could just as easily notch the underside of the top step with your saw or knife. (Steak knife actually works *very* well to cut this stuff.)

Procedure: I cut 3 pieces 26" x 19" for the bottom step, 2 pieces 13" x 19" for the top step, stacked 'em up, glued 'em together. Pile some books on top and let sit for 3-4 days -- the glue takes awhile to dry. Drilled holes through the bottom of the top step from front to back. Threaded a piece of lightweight rope (clothesline would work) through the holes. Left 3-4" of play in the rope, then tied to the ends of the block of wood in back. The rope handle makes it easy to pick up the steps with one hand. Block of wood in back holds the rope tight to the riser of the step in front, so there's no loop of rope flopping around to be tripped over; basically, you have a rope handle on the front side, wood handle on the back side. Last, glued carpet to the stair treads and taped rubber stuff to the bottom.

The whole thing *might* weigh as much as 3 pounds. I can pick it up and stow it in the car, etc. with one hand. Takes up some space, but no sharp edges and it's so light that I don't worry about it becoming a projectile if I have to stow it with the dogs; if no passenger I put it in the front passenger seat.

Holler if you have questions or want me to take more pictures. Materials all told cost maybe $20.00. You don't have to measure or cut perfectly, the dog won't care. Only caveat -- it IS lightweight, so if you're using it on a non-level surface you want to make sure it's stable before allowing dog up or down. I always set my foot on the edge of the bottom step to hold it steady when dog is using it, in case dog bounds etc. If dog will use unattended, I suggest adding a sheet of 3/4" plywood to the bottom to make it heavier; or you could glue some velcro on and velcro it to the sofa/bed/carpet (hook side on the step, soft side or nothing at all on your furniture). You wouldn't need much velcro -- it really is that light in weight.

post-1781-12615085563923_thumb.jpg

post-1781-12615085705198_thumb.jpg

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DebSzal

Thanks so much!! I'm not very handy with wood, but this project is right up my alley and very timely. Glad you posted it again.

Debbie

Oooo...I LIKE this! I could make them taller, and use them to get in and out of the (raised) bathtub that we keep putting off!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest ogie65

Has anyone tried the Otto Step or the Twistep? I'm leaning towards the Otto Step because it's easier to remove and smaller to store, not to mention cheaper. I'm mostly concerned that the step is big enough for Ogie to get on, as he's pretty big and not too coordinated though he navigates indoor stairs fine, if awkwardly.

I've looked into stairs and appreciate the home made version here, but they take up too much space to store either in the vehicle or at home unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

I had some styrofoam steps years ago but tossed them when we sold our class A motorhome. Now we have a trailer and I'd like to have them back! Luckily, they're easy enough to make. I do have a folding ramp if all else fails but the steps were always a bigger hit. Even *I* used them once in a while. :lol:

The Otto steps look way better than the Twiststep b/c of its dimensions. Mine would look at the Twiststep and say "You want me to do what with that??" We can't use either b/c the trailer hitch is, well, for the trailer.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this up for some folks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Pics should be back now (in first post). Holler if not and I'll change the way I posted them. Thanks for noting they'd disappeared!

Guest eaglflyt

Pics should be back now (in first post). Holler if not and I'll change the way I posted them. Thanks for noting they'd disappeared!

The pictures are back. Thanks! We're making these for our elderly Aussie to be able to get in the truck easier. Jake says *Thanks*, too! :colgate

Jake.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here is my attempt. After consult with the OP wink.gif , I decided to duct tape the raw edges to prevent the insulation from shedding. Segugio is trying them out for the first time. Thank you!!

SegugionewstepsBOH.jpg

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Swifthounds

Cool steps! Thanks for sharing. I usually just lift everyone in (everyone on paws that is) who can't make it on their own. I'm thinking this would be a good thing to have in case there needs to be travel when I'm not present though...

I noticed the pictures seem to be side entrances. Do most people use the side doors?

Batmom's steps have saved my butt countless times, starting with Lou when he dislocated his hip, and to this day Romi is using them to get in and out of the van. They've been going for about 4 years and are still in pretty good shape! I can't say enough good things about them. I did recently end up trimming their width a bit, so they would not take up quite so much room in the vehicle. Thank you so much, Jey!

Edited by kjw

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Ohhhh, duct taping the edges, good idea. When I went back to Home Depot the second time, they had a cheaper foam insulation that looked more like actual styrofoam. Well more than just looks I guess b/c when I cut it, little white bits went EVERYWHERE. I decided not to use that for the car stairs b/c I figured it would get too damaged being moved in and out of the car, but now I'm thinking maybe I can just duct tape. A 2" thick 2'x8' sheet was $10 vs $15 for the denser stuff I used for the bedroom stairs and I need 2 sheets for the car stairs.

Anyway, 2 of the 3 sets of steps for Neyla are done - a single large step (more of a platform) to get on and off of her throne the couch, and the set of steps to get in and out of bed. I guess my car is higher off of the ground than your SUVs :dunno b/c I'm going to have to build my steps higher (it's about 26-27" off of the ground). I'll post pictures of all of them when I'm finished with the last set.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest UESBrindle

I went to Home Depot on my lunch break... it's really amazing how willing people are to help you when you look like you look like you've never been there before! (I was dressed in my work clothes) They were even nice enough to cut it for me. The guy who was helping me :lol ed at me when I asked if they had different colors of duct tape :huh

I had to do a bit more cutting when I got home, but so-far-so-good! I decided to keep with 26" deep but only 14" wide.

I do have a few questions though:

What is the best way to make 12" deep holes for the rope (or braided twine in my case) through the holes? I haven't made them yet, but the best thing I could come up with is a knitting needle/hammer. We don't have a 12" drill bit. (we actually don't have much of anything, being apartment dwellers.. I still need to find a saw & sandpaper for the wood)

How should I tie the rope to the handle? I drilled holes through the piece of wood-- when everything dries should I put it through there to tie off? or did you make grooves?

Will happily post pictures when we wrap up after we get it complete!

I just pulled the ends of the rope thru holes drilled in the wood, like you did.

If you haven't glued yet, you could just notch the underside of the piece you want to make the holes in. If you have glued, I'm guessing a knitting needle would work great! You might have to poke it thru a couple times to get a big enough hole to thread the rope through.

Guest IrskasMom

I am so glad Neyla's Mom seen this. I could not remember who posted that . Jey, Thank you again for bumping it.

I am so glad Neyla's Mom seen this. I could not remember who posted that . Jey, Thank you again for bumping it.

Jey was kind enough to post the link in my thread too. :)

So Elizabeth, what was their answer on the duct tape? I know it does come in other colors, but I'm not sure if HD has them. I still have to go back to get my last piece of foam insulation - let me know if I need to go elsewhere to get my taupe duct tape. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."