Hurt Back Issue/putting Him To Sleep

Guest Branden

Not very computer handy, so I can't figure out how to post a picture of him.

Instructions

Create an account in http://photobucket.com/ Photobucket (this part is really easy)

Once it's created you will see a button called "Upload" near the top of your screen - click on it

click on the button "Select photos and videos"

Select the photo from your computer and then select "open"

the photo will be uploaded to Photobucket automatically

select "view album"

scroll your mouse over the photo until a drop down menu appears

copy the IMG code

paste it into your GT reply

the GT cheering squad would love to see photos

Oops I see you figured it out...beautiful hounds

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest patterpaws

awwwww! I love them both already. Clever and Milli look so cute together.

Actually maybe Clever and Tristan are related! Tristan came from a track in Colorado, too!!!

*edited for grammar

Edited by patterpaws

I have been using a chiropractor for my boy Larry (10 1/2) for a few months now. He had some issues with leg ligaments, fractured toes, cut pads and quite a few other ailments over a period of about 6 months and it took a toll on his mobility. Whatever was going on seemed to cause him to lose some muscle mass on one side near his ass and it was concerning enough to take him to a neurologist to make sure that it wasn't LS - it wasn't (at least not yet). I decided to try the chiropractor and have been very happy with the results but, I will caution you that I would not have done it if he was not stable to begin with. In fact I waited a few months to make sure that everything that we knew of had healed. The chiropractic treatment can cause inflammation and swelling when the joints are manipulated which is why I would never do it on a dog that had a "current problem".

He's pretty much running like a younger guy again and going up my inside stairs a few times a day. Not perfect but, better than he was. If the chiropractor didn't help I was going to try the acupuncturist but as of yet, had not had the need to.

As someone already mentioned, make sure that if you do decide to use a chiropractor, make sure they are certified for animals. There is a web site that lists them

http://www.avcadoctors.com/avcadus.htm

Good luck.

Guest Branden

awwwww! I love them both already. Clever and Milli look so cute together.

Actually maybe Clever and Tristan are related! Tristan came from a track in Colorado, too!!!

*edited for grammar

He is from the Loveland Track in Colorado, right outside of Denver. And she is from the Denver Track.

I have been using a chiropractor for my boy Larry (10 1/2) for a few months now. He had some issues with leg ligaments, fractured toes, cut pads and quite a few other ailments over a period of about 6 months and it took a toll on his mobility. Whatever was going on seemed to cause him to lose some muscle mass on one side near his ass and it was concerning enough to take him to a neurologist to make sure that it wasn't LS - it wasn't (at least not yet). I decided to try the chiropractor and have been very happy with the results but, I will caution you that I would not have done it if he was not stable to begin with. In fact I waited a few months to make sure that everything that we knew of had healed. The chiropractic treatment can cause inflammation and swelling when the joints are manipulated which is why I would never do it on a dog that had a "current problem".

He's pretty much running like a younger guy again and going up my inside stairs a few times a day. Not perfect but, better than he was. If the chiropractor didn't help I was going to try the acupuncturist but as of yet, had not had the need to.

As someone already mentioned, make sure that if you do decide to use a chiropractor, make sure they are certified for animals. There is a web site that lists them

http://www.avcadoctors.com/avcadus.htm

Good luck.

Thank you, great information! I appreciate it!

Guest Branden

So glad he's standing now! Hope he continues on the path to recovery! :)

Your picture is great, looks just like our boy!

Awww a brindle!! He must be a very handsome boy. Whats his name?

After every loss I usually have a mourning period where I say "no more, I can't take the pain." But the pain lessens, and then you can more easily remember the happy times and how they made it all worth it. Also this picture kinda sums it up for me:

dogs+will.jpg

Not that you are going to lose your boy anytime soon!!!! May he have many many happy years left with you. We're currently going through some trials with our boy Tristan too, I'm having to come to terms with losing him soon and its ripping my heart out. These guys are so special. I really hope that yours continues to improve and is back to his old self very soon. :)

Quite possibly the most beautiful and heartbreaking thing I have read. I like it though, it is true!

Happy to see that your boy is improving!

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

sending more prayers he continues to improve! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:hope he continues to improve.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Branden

Rumor is we get to pick him up this afternoon and bring him home. We went and saw him at the vet yesterday. He was drugged and they brought him down to us in a sling. He must have been relaxed, be cause he decided to pee all over the towel they put down. The vet was excited and said he had been drinking and eating well. Now for the nervousness of being responsible for him at home. I am taking tomorrow off of work so I can help him move around. My wife and I have weekends off, so that isn't going to be a problem. Just worried about Monday, hoping he can get up and start slowly walking then.

Thanks for all the support, good stuff!

this is wonderful news...try not to get too anxious so Clever doesn't pick up on it...just relax and enjoy him being home. You can worry about Monday when it comes because you may not need to worry about it at all considering how well he's doing! woo hoo Love these wonderful updates. thanks for sharing with the GT cheering section again.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

How exciting! Please pop in and let us know how he's doing once he gets home!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Branden

How exciting! Please pop in and let us know how he's doing once he gets home!

I will let everyone know how well it goes. This website has been a lifesaver for us. I copy and paste all these replies to my wife's email so she can see them too. Monday is a very exciting day for us as well. We have to visit a doctor for our first ultrasound. If Clever still needs help, my mother will come over for a few hours so we can go about our appointment. Lots going on!

Oh my gosh, you do have a lot going on! I guess congratulations are in order!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Branden

Oh my gosh, you do have a lot going on! I guess congratulations are in order!

Thanks! We are pretty excited! 3-4 years of pills, appointments, shots, crazy diet changes, workouts, etc. Just want to have a healthy baby that Milli and Clever can meet!

Can you crate or babygate him so he doesn't hurt himself? Before Cricket could walk on her own our vet would have us stand her up and lean her against the couch. She had to exercise the muscles. Then when she could walk we needed to exercise her on lead. We walked so many times around a certain tree in the yard. We kept increasing the number of times we walked around the tree.

We put down pads so she had a place to potty in an emergency. We wanted to push the water and one thing follows another.

Best wish's for all of you.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Branden

Can you crate or babygate him so he doesn't hurt himself? Before Cricket could walk on her own our vet would have us stand her up and lean her against the couch. She had to exercise the muscles. Then when she could walk we needed to exercise her on lead. We walked so many times around a certain tree in the yard. We kept increasing the number of times we walked around the tree.

We put down pads so she had a place to potty in an emergency. We wanted to push the water and one thing follows another.

Best wish's for all of you.

The vet said to keep him in a laundry room or small room so he doesn't hurt himself. We tried that once when we first got him and he destroyed that room and hurt himself in the process. I think I will just be at his beck and call for the next 3-4 days. I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to my animals.

Guest Branden

On a side note- Anyone have experience with pet insurance? With 2 greyhounds and a crazy cat, I was curious whether it was worth it or not. Thanks!

So, so, so happy to hear the good news. It will be so great for all of you to have him at home where he belongs. We all understand the nervousness! Beds get moved to the floor, we sleep on the couch, the floor, whatever it takes. I have a really thick yoga mat that gets a lot of use when my girl is hurt/sick.

Never say never. Even with a broken heart, you can surprise yourself.

Congratulations on the new little one in your future!!

:yay

Glad to read a happy update.

:good luck that things continue this way

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

On a side note- Anyone have experience with pet insurance? With 2 greyhounds and a crazy cat, I was curious whether it was worth it or not. Thanks!

Yes! Many many of us here have it.

One thing though, most insurance companies do not cover existing conditions. But, it's been a lifesaver for me. My little Opal just blew out her lateral collateral ligament (hock) and she needed $4000 surgery. I haven't gotten paid yet, but the insurance should cover most of that.

My Pearl was diagnosed with heart disease and hypertension when she was 6 and 7. We maxed out on yearly coverage several of the 7 yrs she was with me and had coverage. We definitely got our money back 10 fold.

Then you have pups like my Emma and Tanzi. I'm paying about $800 / yr for both. Haven't needed it. But, all it takes is just ONE major surgery and it'll pay for itself many times over.

You do need to research the insurance companies out there to decide what's best for you. I have VPI Major Medical. Others have loved TruPanion. ASPCA seems to have a decent one.

Just search on insurance and you'll get lots of threads in this forum.

That is fantastic news that he can come home today!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I just remembered when my mother was staying with us I would put an ex-pin around her and her chair to keep the greyhounds from her. She was not a big dog fan.

Our vet was boarding some greyhound ands shut them in one of the exam rooms. She had to remodel that room.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)