Hurt Back Issue/putting Him To Sleep

Guest Branden

On a side note- Anyone have experience with pet insurance? With 2 greyhounds and a crazy cat, I was curious whether it was worth it or not. Thanks!

Yes! Many many of us here have it.

One thing though, most insurance companies do not cover existing conditions. But, it's been a lifesaver for me. My little Opal just blew out her lateral collateral ligament (hock) and she needed $4000 surgery. I haven't gotten paid yet, but the insurance should cover most of that.

My Pearl was diagnosed with heart disease and hypertension when she was 6 and 7. We maxed out on yearly coverage several of the 7 yrs she was with me and had coverage. We definitely got our money back 10 fold.

Then you have pups like my Emma and Tanzi. I'm paying about $800 / yr for both. Haven't needed it. But, all it takes is just ONE major surgery and it'll pay for itself many times over.

You do need to research the insurance companies out there to decide what's best for you. I have VPI Major Medical. Others have loved TruPanion. ASPCA seems to have a decent one.

Just search on insurance and you'll get lots of threads in this forum.

Definitely read the past threads. I have 24PetWatch and have been very happy with them but I think I am the only person on GT who is insured through them. I have been with them since 2004 and they have always had a very fast response and payment rate.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest runner615

Hi Branden.....Just reading your post about your pup. We did use an acupuncturist for our Toby just a few months ago. Very scary....he woke up and wasn't able to use his back legs. Took him to the ER, after blood work and doing some manipulation, their professional opinion was to take him to a neurologist. We opted to bring him home and give him the steroids they send with him. We started the steroids but also got in touch with Dr. Levy (our new best friend!) and Toby was treated with his first treatment. Dr. Levy manipulated Toby before his procedure and isolated his lower back as the problem. With each treatment, Toby was stronger. I believe he had a total of 4 treatments (about 20-25 mins. long, each treatment) and now we bring him in if we notice some looseness in his back end. I recommend acupuncture, if you can. It absolutely can't hurt, imo. I want to add, Toby was in very bad shape.......we honestly thought we were going to leave the ER without him. :( Thank God we chose to bring him home and try the meds........their professional opinion of him having some form of cancer neurologically was incorrect. Sometimes, you have to go with your gut feeling...and sometimes the least invasive treatments are the answer. We love Dr. Levy!! :) Good luck with your boy.

I am so happy for you that your boy is coming home! I can tell you from experience that there are some things for which you can plan, and others that you just figure out as you go along.

When LadyBug was ready to come home from the clinic after four nights in ICU, I was terrified. She was paralyzed in one hind leg and close to it in the other. Could I handle the responsibility? WHAT was I going to do? Would the other dogs be a problem? Could I keep her safe? It was January and we had a mountain of snow to deal with as well. Several deep breaths and the guidance and advice of dear friends who had BTDT, and home care worked just fine. A rubber pad from CVS for the first layer of her bed, then her bed, then pee pads, then a fleece blanket over everything, which made laundry pretty simple. Pee pads went in front of her bed. Bug's Healing Camp was set up in a corner of our living room, and was surrounded by a quite large x-pen which kept her safe, and allowed her to see and be seen. For a sling, I folded a substantial sweatshirt in half and sewed up all the openings, it worked brilliantly and I still use it today for Pal. I slept on the couch next to Bug so that I could hear her when she needed me. I still cherish that time and wouldn't trade a moment of it.

You can do it. Best of luck to you and your family! :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Can you crate or babygate him so he doesn't hurt himself? ...

The vet said to keep him in a laundry room or small room so he doesn't hurt himself. We tried that once when we first got him and he destroyed that room and hurt himself in the process. I think I will just be at his beck and call for the next 3-4 days. I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to my animals.

Branden, a lot of times the dog causes damage when he can't see to know that you're not home. If you have to leave him at home, try a baby gate or an ex-pen as a barricade so Clever can see that you aren't there. I have two dogs who'd eat their way through the sheetrock if they thought I was on the other side of the wall. But let them see me walk out the front door, and they're fine.

You also might need some sort of barricade if he starts getting overly optimistic about how well he thinks he's doing. If he's confined where he can see what's going on, he may be less likely to try to get up and wander around on his own.

And finally, a barricade might keep Clever and Milli from getting tangled up with each other, while still letting them see each other without fretting.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I remember when I brought Bella home after her accident, initially it was really stressful, she could not walk, even with a sling, had to be carried everywhere and had no bowel or bladder control. I was so worried about her and wanted to make sure she was as comfortable as possible. I kept her confined to a crate because she would try to get up and I did not want her to hurt herself more. The first day was the worst but we got into a routine and I learned how to move her when necessary, it was a lot of nursing care. Unfortunately she did not get better. I am so happy to hear that your boy is improving, hang in there. I think once he is home and you get settled into a routine things will continue to improve. Best of luck in your recovery process!

Linda, Jack and Keeva

I'm coming to this late...my Carrie (age 13) injured her lower back in May. At first she seemed sore, so, I took her to the chiropractor and she was on Deramaxx and Robaxin (muscle relaxer). She just got worse, to the point where she couldn't just stand there even if I stood her up.

We switched to prednisone and went for an acupuncture treatment on a Monday. On Tuesday morning she was able to get up from her bed by herself and walk a little bit.

I was hesitant to take her to the chiropractor as she recovered because we weren't sure if she might have a herniated disc. We've continued with the acupuncture and she does well with that.

Glad that your boy seems to be improving! I hope being home will help :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I don't know where you live, but you might want to check out I-therm; kldmedical.net/i-therm. There's a video on youtube showing a treatment, too. I have experience with acupuncture, chiro and I-therm and would highly recommend I-therm for the issue that your sweet boy is having. It's an amazing piece of equipment that is used for people and animals - OSU Vet School has one. To save time, I would call the manufacturer and see if they can point you toward the closest Vet to you that has one.

Sending prayers of comfort and healing white light to Clever.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Branden

Update: He came home on Thursday night. Needless to say, it was very stressful for all of involved. Not used to seeing him so helpless. I slept with him on the floor next to his bed and I was literally carrying him with the sling. I took Friday off from work so I could help him all day. I slept on the floor with him Friday night as well. But something strange happened in the middle of the night. 2 am, I woke up and looked at his bed. Nothing, he wasn't there. Pure panic set in. This dog wasn't even able to stand on his own and now he was MIA. I jumped up, ran to the window to the backyard. I saw our indoor cat, sitting on the back porch staring into the yard. So I peaked through the blinds and saw Clever walking through the grass and strolling around. He is known for his late night jaunts in the yard. He somehow got himself up, went through the doggy door, and was out exploring. That is when things changed. All day Saturday and Sunday he was out cruising around, still like a newborn deer, but he was out and about. So today is the first day with no supervision. I am nervous and worry too much, but he is headed in the right direction.

Thanks again for all your support, it was much needed!

That's great! He's up and moving on his own! You couldn't ask for anything better than that. He's made great progress!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

That is great news!!! What a smart boy Clever is....his name is perfect!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

wonderful news :clap thanks for sharing

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Whoo-hoo! That is beyond amazing......................it's miraculous! Go, Clever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Fantastic news!!! Wow, what a great feeling for you to see him cruising in the yard under his own power. There's nothing better than seeing an improvement of this magnitude. :yay

I am so happy for your family & Clever.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Branden

So, just to compile some great news on top of some great news:

My Mom watched our dogs while we went to our first ultrasound appointment yesterday, and the doctor informed us we were having twins!

Very exciting news and I am so thrilled Clever is getting better so we can truly celebrate the news.