Hurt Back Issue/putting Him To Sleep

Guest Branden

You've gotten good advice and stories from some who have had hounds who suffered this type of episode. I have nothing new, but I, too, have experienced this. It took Takoda a couple of days to recover use at all, and then a good 4 or more weeks before he could walk more than out to the backyard to take care of business and back. A friend made an assistance harness for him and it was much easier to use than the towel sling, but towel slings are just as good in a pinch.

Don't give up hope yet. Eating and drinking and happy are all good signs. Now that you have found Greytalk, you have the power of all of us pulling for you and Clever!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in there. With me it helps to talk to them and ask them if they understand their situation etc. and what their wishes are. He may be scared and need you to explain to him what is happenning. If you go visit him and get quiet and just spend some peaceful time communicating with him-look into his eyes- you may be surprised at how easy you can. After all the years togther and all the love I just really believe it would be one of the best things you could do for all concerned. I would give the steroids a little time depending on what he told me. Tell your girl what is happenning-why her buddy is not there. She will understand. She has a right to know. God bless.

Perfectly said.

As to the sling mentioned above, if you are anywhere near NYC I will give you the one I have on hand "just in case" if the meds work and you need help moving your boy.

Give him time. Give the meds time. Give yourself time.

I haven't read all the posts yet but I borrowed the sling from her for Sparks and it worked fantastic.

Thanks for the kind words and great ideas from everyone. I am totally overwhelmed with this site. I wish I had found it earlier. I have 2 greyhounds and they are both up there in age, so this would have saved a lot of time over the last 8-10 years. Our racer is eating and drinking on his own and they say he is quite happy overall. He still isn't using his back legs at all, so they are giving him steroids and we wait.

On a side note- has anyone ever used a chiropractor for their dog? My chiropractor said if there is nothing the vet can do, he would love to take a look and see if something is just slipped out of place on Clever. Any suggestions for that? Thanks again for all your replies!

I use it for Passion. She got an adjustment and acupuncture. Made a huge difference!

Good luck

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Summer goes to the chiropractor every 3 months for fine-tuning. She'd fallen and a couple of months later, whenever she ran, she was tripodding. The chiropractor fixed her right up, whereas the vet could not. But I can't comment on total loss of use of the hind legs. If the vet can't help, why not try a chiropractor? Choose one with dog experience, though.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Branden

Hang in there. With me it helps to talk to them and ask them if they understand their situation etc. and what their wishes are. He may be scared and need you to explain to him what is happenning. If you go visit him and get quiet and just spend some peaceful time communicating with him-look into his eyes- you may be surprised at how easy you can. After all the years togther and all the love I just really believe it would be one of the best things you could do for all concerned. I would give the steroids a little time depending on what he told me. Tell your girl what is happenning-why her buddy is not there. She will understand. She has a right to know. God bless.

Perfectly said.

As to the sling mentioned above, if you are anywhere near NYC I will give you the one I have on hand "just in case" if the meds work and you need help moving your boy.

I haven't read all the posts yet but I borrowed the sling from her for Sparks and it worked fantastic.

Thanks for the kind words and great ideas from everyone. I am totally overwhelmed with this site. I wish I had found it earlier. I have 2 greyhounds and they are both up there in age, so this would have saved a lot of time over the last 8-10 years. Our racer is eating and drinking on his own and they say he is quite happy overall. He still isn't using his back legs at all, so they are giving him steroids and we wait.

On a side note- has anyone ever used a chiropractor for their dog? My chiropractor said if there is nothing the vet can do, he would love to take a look and see if something is just slipped out of place on Clever. Any suggestions for that? Thanks again for all your replies!

I use it for Passion. She got an adjustment and acupuncture. Made a huge difference!

Good luck

That is great! I am going to order one online as a rush today. Our girl is 13, so we could potentially need it again at some point. The vet called and said he is now standing up, but not using his left rear leg, putting pressure on his right rear one though. She said a few more days of rest there and he may be walking totally on his own. Thanks so much again!

Nube goes monthy for an adjustment and I really can tell how much it helps him. I used to think they were a crock but after seeing how it helps him, I'm a believer.

sending many good thoughts and prayers for your boy! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Perfectly said.

Good luck

That is great! I am going to order one online as a rush today. Our girl is 13, so we could potentially need it again at some point. The vet called and said he is now standing up, but not using his left rear leg, putting pressure on his right rear one though. She said a few more days of rest there and he may be walking totally on his own. Thanks so much again!

Oh that is good news! Fingers crossed he improves quickly and can go home!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so glad to hear he is improving! I think having the assistance harness on hand, even if you end up not needing it right now, is a good idea when you have older dogs. Some don't like being helped :) but most tolerate the harness. Also, looking into a chiro and/or acupuncture could definitely help, acupuncture got my old girl walking again!

Guest Branden

I ordered a harness/sling online for him, should be here in a day or two and he will be at the vet anyway. Very excited he is trying to walk, they said he is very happy and easy going. That all makes it better, good thoughts!

Guest MyCody

Greyt news!!! Don't give up too quickly for his and your sake. We had a big male, Cody who had back problems and we kept him comfortable with pain meds and acupuncture. We had to say goodbye two years ago when he was 13 but he had a good life with help from our vet and patience. He was worth every dollar we spent on him and we only gave up when he was no longer comfortable and happy.

Good luck.

Guest Branden

So glad he's standing now! Hope he continues on the path to recovery! :)

Your picture is great, looks just like our boy!

Wonderful news to hear he is standing. The best advice we received from our vet was to be encouraged with every little improvement, one day at a time, slow but steady. Your boy is happy, eating and comfortable. Very promising for recovery.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

So sorry that you are going through this, and glad to hear that there is some improvement. I will go along with the folks who are telling you to give it a little time. Though we did not have the issue with Andy that he lost all use of his back legs, I felt that the day Dennis took him to the vet for his weakness, he was not going to be coming home. He had pain meds and huge doses of Pred to start out with, and he did improve. We used both a chiropractor and acupuncture for him. If you do decide on chiropractic though, I would certainly suggest one who is trained for animals. Ours was both people and animal. I think that the combination kept him comfortable and happy and with us for almost a year longer.

Each small step is an encouragement, and as long as he is comfortable and happy that is the important part.

Good luck, and I hope to keep seeing good updates.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

:hope he continues to improve and recovers quickly

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Many good thoughts...

I have used chiro and acupuncture with my dogs....really amazing how much it can help the older ones...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest Branden

Many good thoughts...

I have used chiro and acupuncture with my dogs....really amazing how much it can help the older ones...

I am impressed with those that keep adopting Greyhounds after they lose one or more. I told my wife on Sunday night, I don't think I can adopt again. Just the thought of our boy having to be put to sleep almost killed me. Major props to those that can do it again. I hope I can someday, but my body is telling me no way!

Many good thoughts...

I am impressed with those that keep adopting Greyhounds after they lose one or more. I told my wife on Sunday night, I don't think I can adopt again. Just the thought of our boy having to be put to sleep almost killed me. Major props to those that can do it again. I hope I can someday, but my body is telling me no way!

I said that after losing my first dog over 30 years ago. I was crushed and couldn't put myself through the pain again. It worked for about 20 years and then my teenaged daughter brought home a tiny flea infested puppy she found living under a house. We lost that pup 8 years later to cancer. I again vowed to have no more but my husband had other ideas. Well here we are today, we lost 4 dogs in 6 months and I thought that was going to be the end of me and then another came along that needed a home and believe it or not she saved me from my depression so you never know. You never know what life holds in store.

Good thoughts that your boy continues to improve!

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Liz_in_PA

None of us have a guaranteed "sell by" date. Would you prefer to have the fun/excitement/love of a dog/spouse/child or to live alone?

Grief lessens. Happy news about your pup.

Guest patterpaws

So glad he's standing now! Hope he continues on the path to recovery! :)

Your picture is great, looks just like our boy!

Awww a brindle!! He must be a very handsome boy. Whats his name?

After every loss I usually have a mourning period where I say "no more, I can't take the pain." But the pain lessens, and then you can more easily remember the happy times and how they made it all worth it. Also this picture kinda sums it up for me:

dogs+will.jpg

Not that you are going to lose your boy anytime soon!!!! May he have many many happy years left with you. We're currently going through some trials with our boy Tristan too, I'm having to come to terms with losing him soon and its ripping my heart out. These guys are so special. I really hope that yours continues to improve and is back to his old self very soon. :)

Guest Branden

559695_3619532324091_1491511290_n.jpg

His name is Clever. Racing name was Clever Fox. Her name is Milli, her racing name was Millenium. Both from Colorado tracks, she is 13 and he is 12. Up until his injury, they still thought they were 5 years old. Running around like crazies!

Edited by Branden