News from the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

With Dr. Carlos Alvarez's lab (Nationwide Children's Hospital Molecular Genetics) we recently submitted for publication a paper with what we believe is the main gene for osteosarcoma (OSA) in Greyhounds. In the future, we should be able to test dogs with a mouth swab, and keep affected dogs from breeding. Moreover, targeted gene therapy may be applicable to dogs with OSA.

http://www.nationwid...-human-genetics

Jane

edited to add: My guess is that the paper won't be available to read until it is published.

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest IrskasMom

Jane , Thank you for always staying on Top of this Subject Osteo Sarcoma and making us aware of the newest from OSU. Thank you :)

Awesome news...hopefully OSU is getting closer to answers.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Promising news!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Very cool! Can't wait to see what they've found so far.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This will get interesting. Kinda scary and great at the same time. For example, say that such and such greyhound back in oh 1910 had this gene and he had thousands of off spring, well how are you going to breed greys that aren't already related to him? And how would that even work? Laws about not being able to breed certain dogs?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

This is good news, for our hounds and for our children!

This will get interesting. Kinda scary and great at the same time. For example, say that such and such greyhound back in oh 1910 had this gene and he had thousands of off spring, well how are you going to breed greys that aren't already related to him? And how would that even work? Laws about not being able to breed certain dogs?

It will take a lot more research, and money, to go backwards. They are only going to be testing current dogs. This means a breeder could possible have their potential dam or sire tested to know. The good news (or not) is that they can test, so we'll at least know. That means that dogs that test positive could be candidates for gene therapy. There is a lot of questions to be answered and that is going to take more money for studes and research.

The Greyhound Program at OSU's donations are down 50% this year. :(

I'm ready to make this year's Miss Nellie Auction the best ever, who's with me?

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

My fingers are bleeding from sewing coats for the auction, so....ME too!!! :)

ME!

I've been scouring the web gathering what I hope will be some irresistible items for this auction and the hunt ain't over yet.

Me!!!

You all made me :D Thank you! There is a thread in EEG with information that you'll need.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

What fantastic news.

I'm waiting to hear back from OSU because I want to make the Greyhound Wellness my beneficiary. I need their tax number.

You would contact Danielle Ford. I'm Already signed up.

Danielle.Ford@cvm.osu.edu

Director of Development

College of Veterinary Medicine

1900 Coffey Rd.

VMAB - 127F

Columbus, OH 43210

Phone: 614-292-3010

VMC Phone: 4-1392

Cell Phone: 614-746-1178

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

What fantastic news.

I'm waiting to hear back from OSU because I want to make the Greyhound Wellness my beneficiary. I need their tax number.

Director of Development

1900 Coffey Rd.

VMAB - 127F

Columbus, OH 43210

Thanks for putting that out there!!!!!

This is very good news, and fascinating. Gene therapy, huh?

Besides the famous and always fabulous Miss Nellie auction, there's also the Hope for Hounds collars for 2012. We made five colors to choose from this year! Let's make it the BIGGEST year ever!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

What fantastic news.

Director of Development

1900 Coffey Rd.

VMAB - 127F

Columbus, OH 43210

Thanks!!! I just emailed her.

Besides the famous and always fabulous Miss Nellie auction, there's also the Hope for Hounds collars for 2012. We made five colors to choose from this year! Let's make it the BIGGEST year ever!

Oh yay!! :clap Violet could use another collar and I would love for her to have a Hope for Hounds collar to wear when Zuri wears his. Will 2 Hounds be vending at either Grapehounds NY or Dewey and will the collars be available there in all colors, or do they need to be ordered? I'm not able to spend a lot of money on vendors at events so if I'm going to buy a collar, I really like to do it at an event, even if I know ahead of time what I'll be buying (silly, I know :P).

ETA: I would also like to see how the colors look against her fur, although right now I am loving the orange. This year's design is so much fun, love it!

Oh, but I see the donation amount goes down after July 15th. :( Maybe I could order now, and pick up at the event. :gmark:P

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This is so cool!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yay!! :clap Violet could use another collar and I would love for her to have a Hope for Hounds collar to wear when Zuri wears his. Will 2 Hounds be vending at either Grapehounds NY or Dewey and will the collars be available there in all colors, or do they need to be ordered? I'm not able to spend a lot of money on vendors at events so if I'm going to buy a collar, I really like to do it at an event, even if I know ahead of time what I'll be buying (silly, I know :P).

ETA: I would also like to see how the colors look against her fur, although right now I am loving the orange. This year's design is so much fun, love it!

Oh, but I see the donation amount goes down after July 15th. :( Maybe I could order now, and pick up at the event. :gmark:P

I hope you wrote directly to Alisha/2Hounds! Sorry I didn't see this post 'til so late (something wrong with my sub settings!) If you still have questions, ask her directly, okay? I design them, and she sells them. :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I hope you wrote directly to Alisha/2Hounds! Sorry I didn't see this post 'til so late (something wrong with my sub settings!) If you still have questions, ask her directly, okay? I design them, and she sells them. :)

Sure didn't. :P I meant to, but it slipped my mind.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."