Highlighter "pk's Highlighter" August 4, 2001-March 31, 2

Guest ZBippy

Guest ZBippy

This is the first time in a few months that I have visited Greytalk but I wanted to post about the passing of our Highlighter.

Highlighter came to us from Team Greyhound Adoption of Ohio in May 2005. We had to wait on her to graduate from their prison program and, during that time, considered changing her name. But once we met her and realized the size of her personality, we knew that no name except Highlighter would fit this sassy girl. Highlighter was a beautiful fawn with black eyeliner. She loved people and was the queen bee of our pack of four greys, keeping them all in line with just a look or one fast bark. A true competitor, she loved to do laps with the others in our backyard. She hated to lose those races and was known to shoulder check any dog who looked like he might pass her.

As bossy and competitive as she could be, Highlighter also had a very tender side. In November 2006, somebody posted on Greytalk about a whippet who was available through a rescue near us. DH and I went to see this whippet (who as it turns out is likely just a small greyhound), who was very shy and skittish. We wanted to adopt her but asked if we could go back the next day with Highlighter, just to be sure that they would get along. The next day, we took Highlighter to see Tessie (then Whippers.) Highlighter sniffed Tessie all over and then lay her head on Tessie's back, as if to tell her that she would be okay and welcome her to the family. At home, Highlighter took Tessie under her wing. When the boys played rambunctiously, Tessie would lie down and go belly up in submission. Highlighter saw this and started chasing the boys away when they started up with wild play. I really believe that Highlighter is responsible for turning Tessie into the confident dog that she is now.

Over the winter, Highlighter had two vestibular events, resulting in her body having a permanent curve to the right. She could not walk straight and rarely would go upstairs anymore. Then, this spring, she developed protein losing enteropathy (PLE), giving her a paradoxically skin-and-bones and bloated look. After several weeks, we had to make the decision to let her go. Her quality of life just was not there and the best thing that we could do for her was to let her have peace.

It has taken me a few months to get to the point of being able to post this here. Highlighter took a big chunk of my heart with her. We had started out with two greyhounds and thought that we wanted a third but decided to wait because DH and I were trying to have a baby. Along the way, we were told that having a baby was not going to be possible. It was then that we decided to get that third grey, Highlighter. While we eventually did have a human child ( :) ) I think, deep down inside, I had a special affection for Highlighter for coming into our lives at that time. I miss her terribly and, as I told DH a few weeks ago, the house still feels so empty without her. Going from four greyhounds to three has felt like going from a dozen to one.

We love and miss you, Miss Sassafrass!

post-6376-0-99107400-1340312101.jpg

I am so sorry for the loss of your very special girl. The castle in the background validates the fact the she was truly a princess.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry. She was very beautiful and must've been quite the character :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

What a lovely girl she was -- lovely on the outside, and with a lovely soul. I'm so sorry she couldn't stay longer with you.

Rest well, most precious girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 She was a very special girl.

Godspeed Highlighter.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a huge part of your life she was. I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful lady.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Such a precious and loving face. I am so sorry

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

There is always that one, truly special dog with a soul that speaks to your heart and Highlighter was that dog for you. I am so sorry that she couldn't stay. Your tribute speaks volumes of the memories you made..........memories that in time will help heal your heart.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I am so sorry for you loss of Highlighter. I see she was born 8/4/01 my Sabrina was born 8/6/01 & left on 6/14/12. I hope then meet up to plan a super bridge birthday

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

So very sorry for the loss of your gorgeous Highlighter.

You shared some wonderful times, and those memories will help get you through the next days, weeks, months....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. Highlighter sounds like she was an exceptional soul - tough when she needed (wanted?) to be & nurturing when it was required. How difficult it must have been to let her go. She was a beautiful girl with that lovely white face. Godspeed Highlighter! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis