Need Advice Quickly!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope everything is ok :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Holding Bruiser and you in my thoughts and prayers.

I went through this same thing in December. My girl is still here, doing well, and I was more than positive that I would lose her that day. I am praying that you have the same good result I have had. They are likely to tell you that the large mass could be a blood clot and that you actually do want to hear that. Believe them. Thanks to everyone on here who had gone through the same thing, I was somewhat calmer (I am hopelessly NOT calm when my girl is in trouble). As the day wore on, the news began to sound like the surgery would work and she would come out the other side without a spleen which is a very do-able option.

Bruiser, you are so cute I could kiss you.

Aw, Judy. That sucks raw eggs. Hope there's some light in the tunnel for you and Bruiser. :candle:grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm sorry I haven't updated sooner, this is the first chance I've had. I want to first thank everyone for their good thoughts regarding Bruiser, it means more than I can ever say. I almost made the decision last night, given the odds of a good outcome I was given coupled with, I hate to say this, the starting cost of surgery I was quoted, to let him go. I got the impression though that the vet thought I was giving up to easily. I wish she had known how hard it was for me to even come to that choice. Listening to his moans throughout the night made me regret not letting him go. This morning he seemed a tad better. I'm thinking part of the problem he was having was from residual effects of the anesthesia she gave him in order to do x-rays.

I took him in this morning for a consult with my regular vet. He is able to do the splenectomy at a cost that I can afford. I know that the outcome may still be bad, but at least this way I'm able to give him a chance. The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning, so any continued good thoughts for my sweet boy would be greatly appreciated.

Tbhounds, thank you for the advice regarding chest rads to check for lung mets prior to surgery. My vet did mention doing both rads and ultrasound to check the lungs and heart area.

Judy, some dogs get very vocal under anesthesia. Try not to let Bruiser's "sound effects" distress you.

I'm not going to tell you how many times today I checked my cellphone for an update on your boy. I'm so glad there's promising news for you.

Continued good thoughts for both of you...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

keeping you and Bruiser in my prayers tonight! :goodluck:hope

he sure looks like a sweet boy!!! :kiss2 for Bruiser

:grouphug for you !

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I will continue to send prayers for your sweet boy.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I'm sorry I haven't updated sooner, this is the first chance I've had. I want to first thank everyone for their good thoughts regarding Bruiser, it means more than I can ever say. I almost made the decision last night, given the odds of a good outcome I was given coupled with, I hate to say this, the starting cost of surgery I was quoted, to let him go. I got the impression though that the vet thought I was giving up to easily. I wish she had known how hard it was for me to even come to that choice. Listening to his moans throughout the night made me regret not letting him go. This morning he seemed a tad better. I'm thinking part of the problem he was having was from residual effects of the anesthesia she gave him in order to do x-rays.

I took him in this morning for a consult with my regular vet. He is able to do the splenectomy at a cost that I can afford. I know that the outcome may still be bad, but at least this way I'm able to give him a chance. The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning, so any continued good thoughts for my sweet boy would be greatly appreciated.

Tbhounds, thank you for the advice regarding chest rads to check for lung mets prior to surgery. My vet did mention doing both rads and ultrasound to check the lungs and heart area.

I'm sorry it wasn't better news, but I will continue to :hope. Good advice re: checking the chest and lungs. I've lost two to hemangio. The first became ill suddenly and the ultrasound showed her spleen was massive and she had multiple tumors in her heart. She collapsed in the parking lot as I was taking her home. She never made it home. The second was caught when she had a chest Xray for something else and we saw a tumor in a lung. She also already had one in her heart. She wasn't a surgical candidate due to her age and a congenital heart defect.

Please keep us posted about your sweet boy. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I've been following this all day, but couldn't reply until now. I so hope that the mass is isolated and a good surgical outcome is forthcoming.

It was so nice meeting you at MH, I really enjoyed talking with you.

I will be thinking of you and Bruiser, and am sending good thoughts for an positive outcome.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Just catching up to this tonight. Wishing Bruiser a successful surgery tomorrow. Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hope the tumor is discreet and easily excised. :hope and :grouphug Good thoughts continue your way!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh, Judy, I'm just seeing this now! I'm so sorry you and Bruiser have gotten this devastating diagnosis. He seems like such a gentle soul, and has one of the dearest faces I've ever seen. I know how worried you must be, but please know that we're all thinking of you both, hoping for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery, and keeping you in our prayers.

Please let us know how he is doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown