Need Quick Help

Guest lotsogreysmom

Guest lotsogreysmom

Ok, so our grey is 12 yrs old and lately has been stumbling a little. Just seems a little off balanced. Well, on top of that she has been pooping and peeing everyday, several times a day in the house. She has NEVER had accidents. So we started crating at night and when we aren't home. Now she just poops and pees in the crate and lays in it. It's not diarrhea. It's normal poop. It's like it doesn't even phase her. I'm exhausted and can't continue to clean up poop and pee several times a day. I love her but she is almost 12 and her quality of life cannot be good if she cannot hold her bowels and lays in it. She goes out many times a day so it's not that. I can take her out and leave for just an hour or two and there's poop and/or pee in her crate when I come back. She also is looking thinner lately. So, I guess I am looking for thoughts or opinions. I don't want to prematurely put her down but also I cannot deal with it anymore. What would you do?? Help!

Guest PhillyPups

I would have her checked by a vet. Is she eating well? I have a 12 and a 13 year old in the home that will have accidents here and there, it comes with the age. I just clean it up and enjoy the time we have together. But then I am here to take care of them, that is my commitment to them when I bring them in.

I would get a thorough vet work-up before such a drastic step for having accidents, but that is me.

You can get doggie diapers for her (bad girl panties), if you are willing to change them when needed.

I would second that it is neurological. My 15 yr old lab cross did the same thing and she had no idea she was doing it. She couldn't seem to feel what was going on back there. I wish you all the best luck. Maybe acupucture would offer some help?

Rather than the crate, can you baby gate or corral her into one area that will be easier to clean up until you have the medical issues cleared up? If her hind end really starts to go it will be hard to get her out of the crate.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Does someone go outside with her to make sure she goes to the bathroom? And is she being taken out when she is likely to have to go, such as immediately on waking in the morning and immediately after meals?

I would baby gate her in a familiar, comfortable area and line the floor with easy-to-clean, rubber backed rugs (and a nice soft bed). Can't imagine crating her under these circumstances -- then you have to clean the crate, probably the floor, AND the dog :( .

Has she been to the vet?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

. What would you do?? Help!

It's really hard but you're already well into the no-blame 'sending to the Bridge zone'. I'd ask the vet to work out why continence has been lost and if anything can be done to mitigate it including treatment like Acupuncture. You can move to diapers and a raised-up drip-thru bed... but is it right for the dog?

When Considering Euthanasia ask yourself these questions:

1) Is the dog free of distress, pain or discomfort, and could the pain be controlled?

2) Can the dog walk and balance fairly well?

3) Can the dog eat and drink without vomiting?

4) Is the dog free of inoperable tumours which are painful?

5) Can the dog breathe without difficulty?

6) Can the dog urinate or defecate without difficulty or incontinence?

7) Does the dog have an owner who is able to cope physically and

mentally with any nursing that may be needed?

If treatment is not possible then answering 'No' to any of those questions means there is no blame in having the dog put to sleep. .

Next, ask yourself if it was yourself in your dog’s situation, would you actually wish to continue living? Better a day too soon than a day of misery too late

Then ask your vet if they think it is time to consider letting the dog go. If not then how long and what to watch out for in the quality of life equation.

Guest BrianRke

I would definitely consult a vet. Personally I would not euthanize a dog because I was inconvenienced by them.

I'd totally have a vet check done. For the last year, year and a half, we had Mimi (we lost her at 15) we cleaned up messes several times a day. There were days I'd get home and just cry because she'd gone to the bathroom and then tracked it all over. We had the hospital bed pads down, so it stayed on those, but I got really tired of doing laundry. She never would have gone to the bathroom in the house when she was younger, but she just couldn't help it.

I'd give anything to be cleaning up messes and doing laundry again.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest PiagetsMom

It's really hard but you're already well into the no-blame 'sending to the Bridge zone'. I'd ask the vet to work out why continence has been lost and if anything can be done to mitigate it including treatment like Acupuncture. You can move to diapers and a raised-up drip-thru bed... but is it right for the dog?

When Considering Euthanasia ask yourself these questions:

1) Is the dog free of distress, pain or discomfort, and could the pain be controlled?

2) Can the dog walk and balance fairly well?

3) Can the dog eat and drink without vomiting?

4) Is the dog free of inoperable tumours which are painful?

5) Can the dog breathe without difficulty?

6) Can the dog urinate or defecate without difficulty or incontinence?

7) Does the dog have an owner who is able to cope physically and

mentally with any nursing that may be needed?

If treatment is not possible then answering 'No' to any of those questions means there is no blame in having the dog put to sleep. .

Next, ask yourself if it was yourself in your dog's situation, would you actually wish to continue living? Better a day too soon than a day of misery too late

Then ask your vet if they think it is time to consider letting the dog go. If not then how long and what to watch out for in the quality of life equation.

I don't know where JohnF got this list from, but it's a good one to consider in regards to quality of life for your pup. And, once you have, schedule a vet appointment to have your pup examined, and to discuss these things with him/her. In my experience, most vets will not tell you what to do, but if you're lucky, they will advise you as to whether the decision you are considering is a reasonable one.

:grouphug

My heart breaks for her. GUR her to me. And, I'm not kidding.

OP, this was something that had occurred to me when I read your post. I wasn't thinking of Diane per se, but someone who felt up to the added stress of caring for an incontinent hound. This is not meant to pass judgment on what an individual feels they can handle. Everyone is different. Please though think about your girl and if this would be an option please consider it before euthanasia.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

My Silver had acupuncture regularly for the last year of his life.... without it, he had no sense of when he was pooping-- he simply didn't know. I would leash walk him and then it would usually happen like magic, but it was just the acupuncture that enabled him to tell whether he was going or not. At first he was humiliated but I made a point of totally ignoring it and just getting him outside and cleaning up.

Most older dogs develop some problems (as do some people); being unable to feel when the sphincter muscles work is one of the more common problems. Fortunately, Silver's poop was always firm and pick up with a kleenex ready. If he had started leaking too, I would have gotten him diapers.

I still feel that if we had moved the acupuncture a little closer together, he wouldn't have had a disk blow out and kill him :( but again, can't tell. I would have gone one with the acupuncture and picking up sometimes forever -- I still miss him a lot. His quality of life was fine too -- he walked, smiled, ate and loved and took care of all the rest of us.

Please get a thorough vet check, could be lumbarsacral stenosis or just weakness in that area, which can be helped with acupuncture -- and do consider babygating in an area .. crating, and the lack of being able to move around freely and having to lie in poop can only make things worse. Your pup can't help it and doesn't even know that he's going!!

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

I'd totally have a vet check done. For the last year, year and a half, we had Mimi (we lost her at 15) we cleaned up messes several times a day. There were days I'd get home and just cry because she'd gone to the bathroom and then tracked it all over. We had the hospital bed pads down, so it stayed on those, but I got really tired of doing laundry. She never would have gone to the bathroom in the house when she was younger, but she just couldn't help it.

I'd give anything to be cleaning up messes and doing laundry again.

:nod

I miss my 15 yr old every day. I'd put up with all the 'yuck' of an old dog any day just to have her back.

i agree with Diane. You greyhound is getting older and is now a senior with senior problems. There are greyhound folks here that specialize in taking care of these seniors. We have 10 seniors up to age 15 we take care of.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I am an adoption reresentativep with GHF of NJ and GHF of Mass.in the Cape May County/Atlantic County area. Please contact me asap at 609-425-3067 about these issues. Thanks so much...I hope I can be of assistance.

My heart breaks for her. GUR her to me. And, I'm not kidding.

What an incredible offer of support and should be seriously considered.

My 7 yo with a spinal problem will poop every night while on kibble. Raw feeding solved the problem given there is very little 'waste' from the food. There may be non-obvious options for you as well but please also consider Diane's offer.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest lotsogreysmom

OMG EVERYONE CALM THE FREAK DOWN!!!! I'm not going to just put my dog down. And I'm sure as heck not giving any of you my dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez. I came here just asking for advice/suggestions. I never said that I didn't want to deal with it. There's so many judgmental people. You don't know me. I will do anything for my dogs. Not that I need to tell you but I did make her an appointment with my vet for a checkup. I would never put my dog down without a checkup.

Your subject said "we may be putting our grey down tomorrow" and your post indicated "I can't handle it anymore"

I don't know why you're surprised that people are worried and offering help. I'd think you'd appreciate that people understand it's a lot of work taking care of an older dog and have offered help if you just can't do it anymore. A lot of us have been there, we know exactly how hard it is and how much it wears you down.

Hope your vet can offer you some help.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05