Munchie Had Her Stem Cell Therapy Today....

Guest LittleGreys

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a refresher for those of us with poor memories about Munchie, OnrushPam's DH, the GUR, being a fighter ... and we definitely need a picture or two. Preferably with stuffies.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I sent the xrays to my vet (also a close I had sent her original films to OSU but never heard back from them. I know they are short staffed, does anyone know how long it is taking for a response now?

So happy, I feel like I can breathe now. :)

It sounds like they have worked out a coverage system where people can hear back in a timely fashion, but it's possible yours got lost in the shuffle when they were sorting out what to do while both Dr. Couto and Dr. Marin are out. Did you use the consultation system? If not, I would resubmit them that way. If you did, I would ask your vet to contact them to follow up via phone.

Glad Munchie is doing better today. I hope the therapy helps her. Those GUR photos, oh my. :wub:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Awww, baby Munchie! Thanks Snowjay! You took such good care of her for me!

I can't take all the credit, there were several of us that took care of her on her journey. :)

Those GUR photos, oh my. :wub:

There are plenty more where they came from. :lol

Dr Couto has told me the clinics internet system does go down, is slow and at times not so good. If you do not hear back re-submit and call them. Use the clinic number and tell them what you need.

(614) 292-3551

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

More prayers for Miss Munchie..... I was honored to be one of her'chauffers'..... She gave me the puppy bug!

I've got a couple of photos of you and Munchie too! ;)

So quit teasing us and post more pictures! A person can never have too many pictures of Munchie!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LittleGreys

I don't think this is the kind of picture you were referring to, but here is her belly this morning where he harvested the stem cells. It scares the beejiggers out of me because I have always been told she cannot heal from surgery due to the pred and imuran that she takes. He said it would be OK because they injected plasma cells into the incision. I hope he is right.....

100_0753.jpg

{{{{{{{{{{Munchie}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest grey_dreams

Sending good thoughts for a fast and easy recovery for Munchie and peace of mind for you to know that you did the right thing.

Oh, bless her! She is so beautiful!!

I am sending all my very best wishes, hopes and prayers for this to work for her. But even if it doesn't, if it is osteosarcoma, you have NOT just 'killed her'. You have been faced with a choice. Do nothing, and let her live in horrible pain until she leaves this earth, or try a last ditch 'Hail Mary' pass. Kudos to you for trying the one thing which might save her from suffering and allow her to enjoy life again. :thumbs-up

Look at it this way:

If it works, and there's no osteo, you win.

If it doesn't work and it is osteo, you won't have done anything bad. Yes, it will probably become aggressive, very suddenly, but it's best to know what you're dealing with, and let's face it, if you do nothing, it will still be osteo. If you know, you might be able to treat it and perhaps buy her a little time. Either way she'll need pain meds and pain management.

And let me ask you this: If you do nothing, and it turns out to be horribly aggressive arthritis and you have to put her to sleep without trying the stem cell therapy, how would you feel? Would you wonder, ever after, if it would have worked for her and given her a future without pain? Would you have wondered if you 'failed' her? Would it compound your grief, not having tried the one thing available, even though it was offered? I think the answers to those questions are probably all 'yes'.

Be at peace with yourself. It has been said that there are really no wrong decisions, if they are made from the heart. We all make the very best decisions we can with the information we have at the time. Just .. breathe!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest LittleGreys

Thank you, Silverfish and everyone else for your words of encouragement. Munchie is doing much better today, so I know I made the right decision. She grabbed her toy this morning and started squeeking away and she hasn't done that other that at feeding time for longer than I can remember. Right after the stem cell, she was pretty miserable, so I was feeling guilty that I had put her through undue suffering.

Sadly, I got an email from Dr Marin at OSU, this is what she had to say:

"Unfortunately it looks like an osteolytic (destructive) lesion in the proximal humerus(upper front leg bone, below the shoulder joint), but it’s a bit hard to tell on jpgs files."

So despite what my vet and Auburn have to say, I think we have joined the osteo club. :weep

I don't know how much longer we will have, she is already on pred, tramadol and gabapentin for her arthritis pain, so not sure what else we can do other than increase those. She is not a candidate for amputation due to the immune mediated polyarthritis. Hopefully the stem cell therapy will be a big help in relieving pain in her other joints.

I will be reading back through the osteo threads to see what other options there may be.

I do not want her to suffer, and have made peace with myself that I will not prolong her life for ME, only as long as SHE is happy here.

That is a low blow indeed.

Hugs for yourself, and many scritchies and squeaks for best girl.

Guest trevdog

Oh no.....I'm hoping the "it's a bit hard to tell on the file" might be misleading. Sending tons more prayers and good thoughts to the sweetie....hang in there little girl.

Guest grey_dreams

I will be reading back through the osteo threads to see what other options there may be.

I do not want her to suffer, and have made peace with myself that I will not prolong her life for ME, only as long as SHE is happy here.

I'm so sorry to hear the report from Dr. Marin. It seems that it must be in very early stages. I remember Neyla's Mom had very good success using an herbal/alternative approach to treating Neyla. I am currently using an herbal/alternative approach to treat a heart condition that Zuki has, and he is doing much better than he did on the medicine my regular vet gave. The regular pharmaceutical drug really compromised Zuki's kidneys and liver, and we had to stop it anyway, so I was looking for other options. Now he has more energy and more joy than he has had in quite some time, and it is absolutely clear that the herbs and other treatments are really helping him. In my research, I ran across some herbs for cancer, I remember turmeric has good results for tumors and cancers, and there are others. Neyla's Mom knows so much about this. I just wanted to support your decision to look into other options for Munchie, because I am having extremely good results using an herbal/alternative approach. Of course, you will want to also discuss possible herbs with your vet too. I'm glad to hear that Munchie is playing with squeeky stuffies again and is feeling better.

Edited by grey_dreams

To me that's all we can do--make the best choices we can at the time with our babies' best interests at heart. Gentle hugs to you and Munchie.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.