Accident

Let the dogs out in the yard prior to going out last night around 5. Went in to grab the phone and all I heard was a god awful scream. It was so bad I did not think it was my dogs. Went out and neighbors said that Bella and Keeva collided. Well Bella was on the ground and could not move her back legs. I had to get the neighbor to help me get her in the car to bring her to the vet. Vet sedated her, did x-rays, blood work. She got a steroid shot, pain shot and a muscle relaxer. I took her home as no one would be at the vet overnight. She cannot walk, her one back leg she will not put any weight on and it knuckles under. Her other back leg just splays out. She panted and cried all night, was incontinent twice. Unfortunately Bella has a deformed right front leg that is shorter than her other legs so she is just a train wreck. I am bringing her back to the vet as soon as they open. Vet considering back injury, there were no broken bones seen. Would the next step be an MRI? Anyone with experience regarding this type of injury? Thanks

Linda and Bella

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they include her pelvis in the x-ray?

Did they consider FCE?

Gosh, I hope they can find the cause. If it were me, I'd want answers ASAP, even if it meant a vet school visit. Some of these injuries can be helped so much more if it's done quickly. Good luck!! :hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh my word. Sending lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greybookends

Prayers going up for Bella as I type. :hope Also I know all attention is focused on Bella, which is totally understandable, but with a collision that caused that much damage to Bella I hope Keeva is alright as well. These guys can be so stoic sometimes that a small injury can go un noticed or she could just really be scared. :grouphug

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Something similar to that happened to my Shadow when he was about 9 years old. An accident in the yard and he came up with his back legs paralyzed. With the quick work of the e-vet (which it sounds like your vet did as well), he regained the use of his hind legs. His back end was always weak after that, but he made a great recovery. I hope Bella does the same.

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Don't rule out chiropractic. When Ruby injured her neck last year she could not even get up on her own. After her first chiropractic treatment, she was walking in less than 24 hours. It took awhile for her to get back to 'mostly' 100%--and it was never again 100%--but she did get to the point of being able to walk alone, and take care of 'business' alone, without us supporting her/sling walking her. I never thought it would work--it was a last-ditch effort on our part, but it really did the trick. A bonus was that the chiropractic treatments were only $30 a visit.

If you go that route, ask around and see if you can get a recommendation. The guy we went to was a chiropractor for humans, who also treated pets, and was recommended by someone we know.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I'll be praying for the best for Bella. An MRI is probably the best way to diagnose spinal cord injury. If you have a specialty center near you, she should be seen by an orthopedist and a neurologist.

Edited by dlgwarner

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!

I just babysat a dog that was in a collision at a lure coursing event. She didn't get up from that. I was there, it was horrible.

Here's her story.(I think page 3 or 4 is where Kelly talks about the accident happening.)

Luna's Blog

She was completely paralyzed after the accident 5-6 weeks ago. She's now running again.

PM me with your email addy and I'll pass it onto Luna's Mom. Maybe she'll contact you.

When we took Ruby to the e-vet after her accident, they also suggested an MRI. That is probably the 'best' way to go, but we were hesitant to spend that kind of money--mostly because Ruby was nearly 12 at the time. We worked with her at home for two days (after she spent two days at the hospital), when someone suggested the chiropractor to me. At that point we were considering euthanasia, because sling-walking a 60# dog is not easy, and takes two people, she wasn't eating and we were syringe-feeding her, and 'was it fair to her'....etc etc etc.

We figured we had nothing to lose by trying the chiropractor. He said the vertebrae in her neck were very messed up (she tried walking through the screen door--jammed her neck). He also said to bring her two more times that week, and then he'd be able to gauge if he could help her. Well, while getting ready to take her the very next day for a treatment, she got up and walked about 30 feet, from her bed in the living room into our laundry room! Truly amazing.

While Ruby left us about four months later, the chiropractor did give us those four more months with her. :)

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I am sorry I have no experience but sending a lot of :hope:hope Please keep us posted!!!!!!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I too would suggest chriopractic. Also, time and the steroids. If there isn't a clear displacement seen in the x-rays, I'd give it a couple of days and a couple of chiro tx before doing an MRI.

My doggie-nephew Gizmo, a shizhu, was born with three legs (missing one in front). A couple of months ago he jumped off the sofa and caused a disc/vertebrae problem. His back end wasn't working, so he was effectively a one-legged dog. He was given NSAIDs rather than steroids, which the vet said would work but would take a while. A few weeks went by with no real improvement, but within 36 hours of ordering his wheelie cart from Eddie's Wheels, the little shiz started using his hind end again. He's not 100% yet but he is getting around ok and pottying on his own.

ETA--I too would make sure that the lower spine and hips were fully imaged in the x-rays.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I'd ask about getting an emergency referral to a neurologist.

I wouldn't go with chiropractic until you know what you are dealing with. I am not anti-chiro - Rickie goes every second week - but it's important to know what you are treating first.

Keeping fingers and paws crossed here for Bella. :grouphug

Guest Energy11

I am soo sorry to hear about this!

Sending love, hugs and prayers your way!

I would totally suggest the MRI. MUCH of this could be swelling, too. Sometimes, it takes days for swelling and bruising to resolve. Hoping this will happen. An MRI will show you exactly what is going on.

Love, Dee and The Five

I have a friend who is going thru this EXACT thing with her boy.

They have done the same thing,, steroids, pain med and watch and wait.

In 12 hours after the accident he was walking again, but really poorly,, stumbling around really.

the next 12 hours he got some better, balance was returning, but still really stumbley.....

I am waiting on the next report from my friend

prayers to you and your girl!!! :hope:hope

years ago: i knew a dog who collided with another dog,, she actually broke her neck and was paralyzed.. that dog recovered after surgery and was

able to enjoy several more years pain free.....

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I wouldn't go with chiropractic until you know what you are dealing with. I am not anti-chiro - Rickie goes every second week - but it's important to know what you are treating first.

I second this advice. :nod Need to know what's going on first, IMHO.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

sending hugs to Bella!!! :grouphug:hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I second this advice. :nod Need to know what's going on first, IMHO.

I third this advice. I would go to a neurologist first who can determine whether an MRI is needed. I would hold off on the chiropractor for a while because you need to determine what is going on first (as noted by one of the posters).