Dewey B. Greyhound

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Guest DeweytheGreyt

I thought when the time came, I would know what to say here. That I would be able to explain in words what a truly amazing boy my Dewey was. But I'm at a loss....

Dewey was diagnosed with subcutaneous hemangiosarcoma in October after we found a lump on his hip. We had the mass removed and began chemo which should have given him another 4-6 months of happy life. Josh and I agreed that we would do the treatment as long as Dewey was still...well, Dewey. Once he was no longer happy, we would stop. Sadly our time together was cut short.

This past Sunday he was unable to stand without crying out in pain. The mass had returned (which we knew it would) and seemed to have spread to his spine. One look in his eyes told me all I needed to know. We kept him comfortable with pain medication and showered him with love and any food he wanted. Yesterday afternoon Dr. Christman came to the house and we said our goodbyes. He drifted off with my 'I love you's' in his ears.

To say that my heart is broken is an understatement. I feel destroyed. Everywhere I look I see his ghost. He was my first boy, my BEST boy. My partner in crime, my constant companion, my whole heart. For those that knew Dewey, you know what a wonderful boy he was and what a zest for life (and food) that he had. He was always the first to go up and greet someone new (secretly hoping they'd have treats or at least rub his ears). He cheered me up when I was down and loved me dearly. He loved life with his entire being.

When we first adopted Dewey we were just so thrilled to have him. As it became apparent that he was quite literally the perfect dog, we knew we had to give back. Much to Dewey's delight, we volunteered in any way we could of course brought him along for the ride.

He made my world so much better just by being in it and I will be forever grateful to him for the wonderful friends I have made and memories of him that I will cherish.

He's gone but I still don't know how to say goodbye. I will keep him tucked safely in my heart and carry him with me always.

Roxie is struggling, Dewey was her rock. Her source of confidence. With time I hope that her heart heals as well.

I love you Dewey more than words can say. Godspeed my sweet boy, wait for me at the bridge.....

100_0153.jpg

100_0763-2.jpg

100_0932.jpg

DewNme2.jpg

000_0021.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

Picture029-2.jpg

100_0538.jpg

DewNme4.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 He was as strikingly handsome as he was special. I'm sorry he couldn't stay longer.

Godspeed Dewey.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PhillyPups

I am so sorry for your loss, there are no words to ease the pain. Just know you gave Dewey the greytest gift of love, the very hardest gift to give, you took Dewey's pain from him and will carry it forever in your heart :bighug

Run with the angels Handsome Dewey, you are with the very very best ~

My heart goes out to you and your family. He was an incredibly handsome boy, wasn't he?, and handsome of spirit as well. I'm so sorry he had to leave you.

Godspeed, Dewey.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gone from this earth, but not from your heart. I am so sorry for the loss of your very handsome Dewey.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My deepest sympathy to you and your family, your tribute was beautiful, may he live in your heart forever.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

I remember Dewey and always thought he was so beautiful. I'm so very sorry :f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Your tribute radiates the passion you and Dewey had for each other and I am sure deep down in his heart, he would have done anything to prolong his stay. He obviously loved you best because he helped to create so many wonderful memories. I pray those memories will help heal your heart. Godspeed, handsome Dewey.:f_red

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Your tribute was perfect, as was he. I am so very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

The pain for the loss of your boy Dewey are evident in your words and I am truly sorry he is gone. He was a very handsome pup and it's obvious he and you were perfect together. May the days and weeks ahead allow you to grieve and in time smile when you think of your boy. You were both very lucky to have each other.

Run free Dewey, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hugs to you - I'm so sorry Dewey had to leave you - and way too early...

Run free of pain, Dewey...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge