Need Good Thoughts For Gabe

vjgrey

Oh crap...not another one...I am so sorry for the diagnosis...I was so hoping it was something minor.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Valerie, I am so very sorry. If you have not already, you may want to review the Osteo thread in H&M as there are several options for palliative care and some have had 'success' with some of them. I believe FedX is one example who is now 9mths post diagnosis which is an incredible feat. Please give Gabe a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry to see this dreaded news. It's just not fair.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Oh I'm so very sorry. I was praying it would not be. I pray you have many more days together.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry. :grouphug I remember how getting the diagnosis feels, like a HUGE kick to the gut and you just can't breathe. Lots of us who have gone through it in the osteo thread if you need support.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so sorry. As Neyla's Mom said, there is a wealth of information on palliative care in the osteo thread. And she is also an expert on herbal and alternative treatments for osteo.

You will want to try the following for pain relief: Gabapentin, tramadol, and an NSAID like Deramaxx, Rimadyl, etc. Be sure to ask the vet what the maximum dosage is for Gabe. This way, if you see pain in the middle of the night, you know how much you can increase the dose.

Tramadol can cause side affects that appear like pain (panting, nervousness, etc.). Just pay attention to whether these symptoms get better or worse in the hour after giving tramadol. You can decrease the dose to see if it is sufficient for the pain without side effects, or your vet can prescribe something different.

Other palliative treatments include radiation and/or pamidronate. Much more info from others in the osteo thread.

Lastly, if you would like to get a second opinion, OSU will do email consults at no charge. Here is the link to submit your request:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

I know you feel like your world just ended. Try to remember that Gabe doesn't know the future. Give him lots of attention and love. Take lots of pictures. Make memories. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, your family, and Gabe.

Jane

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I'm so very, very sorry. Hailey was diagnosed on 10/19 and we have no option but to keep her comfortable. So, we give her tons of hugs and kisses every day and we enjoy her company to the fullest.

Ohhhh No!!!! I know you will be spoling him rotten!!!!! So Sorry! :grouphug :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Ah, drat! Valerie, I'm so very, very sorry to hear this. He's a sweetheart, and all of his former Kansas "aunties" will keep him in our thoughts.

Spoil that Gabers rotten, take lots of pictures and cherish the time you're alloted with him (never enough, is it?). Andy and I have been there, done that w-a-y more times since the mid-1990's than we care to count...

Annie Lambert

I'm sorry to hear your news. Sending hugs to yourself and gentle scritchies to your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. We've sent Gabe's X-rays and the consult form to Ohio State for a second opinion on his diagnosis and treatment options. In the meantime, we're spoiling him like crazy with lots of soft things and his favorite foods. As I type this, he's stretched out on a quilt-covered daybed mattress on the floor. He gets short leash walks instead of back yard time, since we have to avoid our stairs, but he seems pretty happy with that, too. It's hard not to think ahead, but since he's content at the moment, we're trying to be, too.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest greyers

I am so very sorry to hear about Gabe. :( Having been through 2 of the 3 greyhounds I have lost having Osteosarcoma and neither of them being good options for the amp/chemo route I know how you feel.

Enjoy this time with Gabe and have full confidence that when it's time to say goodbye you will know it. Focus on the loving times and wonderful life that you and Gabe have both given eachother. And know that Gabe knows every day what it feels like to be loved by his human family. All dogs should be that fortunate to have what you have given Gabe.

Hugs to you all.

I'm so sorry to read that Gabe has osteo. We just walked this miserable road with Bee Wiseman. Take pictures, have adventures, and enjoy him now.

Osteo sucks. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

:grouphug Hugs to you and Gabe. We're going through this now with Faye Oops. Enjoy every moment.

ETA... I noticed you are in Alexandria. Are you going to Greyhounds Rock Fredericksburg this weekend? Dr. Couto will be one of the speakers - clicky. We'll be there.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)