Good Thoughts For Pinky Will Be Much Appreciated

We're up this morning, she's been out again. Once again we had to use the big yard. When she is moving, she does great. Standing still is more difficult for her and that's when we need our towel to support her. So I have been literally running through the mud in my slippers while wearing my PJ pants :rolleyes:

The things we do for our kids, right?

I currently live part time in an apartment that doesn't have a fenced yard. I have to keep a pair of mud boots by the door to slip on like house slippers to avoid this. Also have to roll up my jamey bottoms (ETA at the waist) so the hems don't get wet rolleyes.gif

Regarding the missing leg--dogs carry the majority of their weight on their front legs, so it easier for them to lose a rear leg than a front leg.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kristin, it sounds like Pinky is doing well. You will see day by day she will get better. We also found that Charlie had a harder time standing the first couple days than walking as they seem to be able to hop about without too many issues.

Keep it up Pinky!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you, everyone. To say that this is difficult is an understatement. I know that it will get better, but wow. I guess she's doing pretty well though. Just hate to hear her cry when she tries to get up :(

Last night she flew up on the love seat and plopped down right away, somewhat awkwardly. This morning she hopped up there again and stood there and figured out how to move around a bit before she plopped down. Again, the toughest thing is when she's trying to get up. I think I'd worry less if she hadn't had the bleeding issue on Monday.

Right now she's got her hot pack on her leg and she's being pretty quiet. Hope she will be a bit more chilled out today-this training demands a small amount of my attention but it'd be nice if she would actually close her eyes and sleep.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

While I only had one tripod, I noticed a huge difference at the 2 week mark. And from what I've read a lot of people seem to find 2 weeks the magical point in their recovery. Dima just seemed to have woken up one day and said "I feel great, all better".

But Pinky does seem to be doing well. Keep up the good work, Pinky!

Edited by MP_the4pack

Guest greyers

I think she is doing fabulous! And she looks GREAT! She probably is more tentative when she "thinks" about how to get up on couch, etc. When she just acts on instinct "I WANT ON THAT COUCH!", she does it without thinking. That is one thing I have really noticed about this breed. Sometimes they get "all up in their head" and try to figure out how they are suppose to lets say get into a car if maybe their foot is tender, etc. But even with that foot pain if they really WANT to get in that car, then suddenly they just act on it instead of thinking about how to act on it.

Not sure if that made sense! :P

I'm sorry that it's so hard but, try to remember that it is "hard at the moment". The only way that I got through it was to do it day-by-day and to live in the moment. As someone mentioned, the first few days are the toughest and then it gets easier and then at some point you know that the hard stuff is over.

My thoughts are with you and Pinky. Think of the good side -- how easily she's going to get around as a tripod, because she's shown you already.

Greyhounds sometimes have such trouble getting up even with four legs, when their feet can't quite find the right purchase.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

:blink:

Rain, Sleet, and Snow--GO AWAY, :shakefinger

Pinky needs to poop and pee today!!!

:(

ETA: This was my first thought this morning as I was feeling very lucky to be waiting inside with a warm towel for my three as they quickly took care of business and hustled back in. AND...I'm so happy to hear how great she's doing--I'll pass the news along to Sweetie! ;)

Edited by LisaB

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

She is much more comfortable laying on her left side, so I get her situated on her right side and then I roll her over. Air mattress makes this very easy when I put my own weight on it.

She is still being a whiner-I think she's bored :rolleyes

As Lisa said, it's now snowing here <_< Potty time should be interesting. The big kids have been very cooperative and have come outside with us a few times. I am turning the little guys out separately. They are hanging out in the big ex-pen area I'd originally set up for Pinky. I gave them a big comforter on top of the bed already in there and they're enjoying burying themselves :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

My friend Jane in Ohio (near OSU) made a sling for me when Dima had her amp. When her Joejoe had his amp I sent it back to her.

Then my little old lady loss the use of her back end and once again I needed a sling. I found using a towel clumsy and difficult.

If you use the towel frequently I have a makeshift sling for you if you'd like. Find a canvas bag. Actually any soft bag with handles will work. Roll it up from the bottom but have a handle at either end. Wrap vet wrap around it to keep it rolled up. You should now have a sausage shaped roll with handles at either end. Just slip it under Pinky and voila, you have a sling with handles. And since you used vetwrap, it will go back to normal when finished without any sticky tape residue.

And tell her Sassyness, keep up the good work!

...I have a makeshift sling for you if you'd like. Find a canvas bag. Actually any soft bag with handles will work. Roll it up from the bottom but have a handle at either end. Wrap vet wrap around it to keep it rolled up. You should now have a sausage shaped roll with handles at either end. Just slip it under Pinky and voila, you have a sling with handles. And since you used vetwrap, it will go back to normal when finished without any sticky tape residue.

What a great idea! I have a bunch of extra tote bags; think I'll make one of those up and just stick it in with the rest of my dog-care supplies just-in-case. (Could even wrap the roll with a small piece of an old comforter to give it a little cush.)

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Look who decided that her spot on the couch was lonely:

f28154f2.jpg

We just came in from a very successful potty trip. No poop, but she dragged me around the yard and had a nice big pee. Then she came in and had some water and a cookie. I came in from letting the littles out to find her standing on the bed. She then quietly hopped over to the couch and got on-decided it wasn't good enough and hopped over to the love seat, then back to the couch, where she's resting.

I'm hoping her bandage can come off and stay off tomorrow-I think that will help a lot with the swelling in the other leg.

I am so glad that Pinky is doing well. Has she done any screaming? The whining could also be her complaining that something just isn't right (meaning "what happened to my leg?").

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this to you. At some point during the first two weeks (usually not later), you will likely question if you did the right thing. I just wanted to let you know that this is normal. Things do get better and usually by 4 to 6 weeks post amputation, you are confident that you did do the right thing.

Jane

Jane, she really hasn't done anything I would consider a scream...she has cried out briefly a couple of times when standing up. No cries from her today though :thumbs-up She whimpers a little when she's not sure where she should go or what her next move should be.

Having been around the osteo thread for a while, I know that it's very normal to worry if I've done the right thing, and to feel bad about what she's going through. And I did feel that way Monday night when I saw her. But now I'm confident we're on the right track. This is a learning experience for all of us in this household for sure :nod

To be honest she is handling this much better than I expected, so, at this moment I'm feeling VERY blessed.

My friend Jane in Ohio (near OSU) made a sling for me when Dima had her amp. When her Joejoe had his amp I sent it back to her.

Then my little old lady loss the use of her back end and once again I needed a sling. I found using a towel clumsy and difficult.

If you use the towel frequently I have a makeshift sling for you if you'd like. Find a canvas bag. Actually any soft bag with handles will work. Roll it up from the bottom but have a handle at either end. Wrap vet wrap around it to keep it rolled up. You should now have a sausage shaped roll with handles at either end. Just slip it under Pinky and voila, you have a sling with handles. And since you used vetwrap, it will go back to normal when finished without any sticky tape residue.

Mary Pat, could you post a picture of this bag/sling? My nephew has a shizhu that was born with three legs. Now he has ruptured a disc in his back and can't really use his rear legs at the moment. I'm hoping this bag/sling will help.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Mary Pat, could you post a picture of this bag/sling? My nephew has a shizhu that was born with three legs. Now he has ruptured a disc in his back and can't really use his rear legs at the moment. I'm hoping this bag/sling will help.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.

I'll make one and take a pix and try to load it (I've been having problems with loading since my computer is so old and photobucket doesn't like my old browser. The computer can't handle the newer ones.)

A Shizhu is a small dog. I would take a piece of rope, approx 8 feet in length, tie the ends together to make a loop, then just use vet wrap and wrap the whole thing together just leaving the ends as handles. This would work for a little guy better than a canvas bag.And since it would be 4 feet long, your nephew wouldn't have to bend over to hold him. The length of the rope can be adjust to fit the distance from your nephew to the dog.

Houston, we've had a poop :yay My mom came up to sit with her so I could do some household things and take a shower and she got to see her drag me around the yard :lol She ate a full bowl of kibble and then went out to poop. It was good poop too-well formed! (amusing how much we care about poop around here :lol)

She's fast asleep now-she's due for meds at 10 so we'll probably go out then and turn in for the night. Then we'll see Dr. Less tomorrow morning. I'm really excited for him to see her :)

Please cross your fingers that everything UNDER the bandage is looking as great as everything else :goodluck