What A Change In Perspective

Guest greystoked

Guest greystoked

... coming here today has given me.

And it's a beautiful day, and the Sun is shining, and I just don't understand it.

How the hell do I make a remembrance for someone not yet dead.

Sweetie (AKA DKSweetJulius, son of Molotov) had a fairly comfortable night. Actually made his way out to his playpen this morning, he knew he had a bit of the runs and is a hound of great dignity; but his hind legs gave out when he tried to come back in. Very weak, losing weight before our eyes.

But lucid, and seemingly in little discomfort. And, hound that he is, still looking to comfort us not even understanding what has made us so upset. He has always been a very sensitive boy.

In an hour, we will go to see Dr. Beth a last time. Then we will be completely alone.

But I feel I have to share something here, something for Sweetie, something I feel he'd like. If he could speak, I think he'd say that this is how he'd like us to remember him. It's how I'd like any of you that may see this to remember him... it's not his usual self, he is not an overly playful hound. But he helped pull me away from being a useless cripple, and I built him his own playpen... and this is how he enjoyed it.

(wish me luck linking a video)

Sweetie Greyhound -- 2000 - 2011

Link to video

What a fabulous time he is having in his sandbox, under the watchful eyes of his parents. Such a sweet boy! Run free and may you be given the answer as to what is down in that interesting corner.

:f_pink

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

The best video -- what a fine time he had!

{{{{{{{{{{Sweetie's people}}}}}}}}}}

Go find a great sandpile over the bridge, Sweetie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mbfilby

I'm sorry. What a great video and a great memory to cherish.

You are giving him a gift today. The gift of setting him free and making sure he is with people who loved him. Run free Sweetie..

What great fun he was having. Find a big sand box at the bridge Sweetie have have a ball. Hugs to your mom and dad who are going to miss you something awful.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh, how blessed you have been to have had each other in your lives. What a greyt dog. I love how after working so hard, Sweetie goes behind the grass to pee :blush

Godspeed to your beautiful boy. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, Holly.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I had a little "digger" too, never got it on video...but she LOVED to dig. I finally gave up and she had her own corner in the yard that was "hers". I still haven't mustered up the courage to fill in her hole. I may end up using her hole to plant something in to remind me of her. Thank you for the wonderful video and I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Sweetie will have a great friend Gypsy to dig holes with all day!

That video is precious...you see the joy he had playing in his sandbox. Over the bridge there is a huge sandbox and I'm sure Sweetie will be digging holes and twirling around and around.

Run free Sweetie, run free...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

That is such a lovely video - my dog is a digger too and I've used 3 bags of earth and 2 of gravel this summer already.

A real Heart Dog is going to want to be leaving you a legacy, maybe like in this little poem which is sure to get the waterworks flowing and even now commence the natural healing process that we call grieving. I don't know if you're religious, but God will never send anything to us that we have to deal with without already having given us the tools with which to cope.

May Sweetie's journey to the Bridge bring peace, understanding and joy for having walked along the path together. So sad... so important that we can do this for them when it is their time.

:f_pink

"The Legacy”

(author unknown)

When humans die, they make a will

To leave their homes and all they have

to those they love.

I, too, would make a will if I could write:

"To some poor wistful, lonely stray

I leave my happy home,

My dish, my cosy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy.

The well loved lap, the gentle stroking hand,

the loving voice,

The place I made in someone's heart,

The love that at the last could help me to

a peaceful painless end

Held in loving arms.

If I should die, Oh do not say,

"No more a pet I'll have,

to grieve me by its loss"

Seek out some lonely, unloved dog

And give my place to him.

This is the legacy I leave behind -

'tis all I have to give."

What a great video! It shows us what happiness can be had from such simple things---a good sand pile, green grass, a lovely day. We can learn something from Sweetie, and find joy in the little, everyday moments that we sometimes take for granted.

Knowing that he will be leaving you must be heartwrenching, but his joy will remain in your memory. I'm so sorry you're losing your precious Sweetie.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 He sure did have fun in that sandbox.

Godspeed Sweetie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greystoked

He went peacefully and easily as we held him, knowing how loved, and that others were thinking of him, too.

Thank you, Dr. Beth, for making this as easy as possible. I know you hurt, too.

Brave, sweet, sensitive soul... held on until that last hour, still concerned for us.

In that video, there were shaped wooden sides to that sandbox... it was intended as a dog-bed sized area of carefully sifted sand, perfect for hounds to laze about on in the shade when it was too hot to be inside... as a choice between a large bed of woolly-leafed violets or a nice, thickly grassed area in the cool shade of the fence.

He lay in the newly-finished sandbox exactly one time. I am convinced he did it solely to appease me and my new camera. He lay in it long enough for one picture. That is the only time he ever lay outside. Why? When he has 1) - a comfy human king-sized bed with comforters and quilts, or 2) - his very own Greyhound-sized Full Stretch Mode dog bed with assortment of fluffy pillows.

He was a retired racing Greyhound, after all. But he did love having a place he could dig.

I removed the sides, and it was ever after his 'diggin' hole'. It was his daily ritual to trot down the step to his playpen, dash like mad up and down the track several times, tongue lolling, eyes flashing delight. Then pounce into the ever-deepening hole, give me his manic play-bow look, and dig like a maniac for several minutes. Then he'd trot off to 'perform his ablutions' and come and wait at the bottom of the step, panting, grinning, waiting for me to use the soft brush to get all the sand off. After Hurricane Irene flooded it, it stands at more than 6 feet across and 2 feet deep. Nearly as large as the hole in our lives.

We got him there pretty much in the last moments. I know the signs. We had to carry him out to the car for that one last ride, bundled like a cat in a flannel blanket and slung between us in another blanket like a hammock. His great, Greyhound strength was gone. He was no longer alert to us.

The girls at the vet helped by bringing him in for us, and within a few moments, Dr. Beth was with us and ready to ease his distress. We held him together, he did not feel the needle, and with my hand on his heart I felt him slowly go. Then I gently laid his head down on the blanket.

There was great dignity to his life... we felt he should have the same in death.

He will be cremated, and we will place his ashes next to the ashes of Bear, who came before.

Thank you all, thank you and thank you for your kind words and thoughts of comfort.

I do not know what we do now.

Goodbye, Sweetie Grey

000_0543.jpg

You can see the love in his eyes and the happiness in the wag of his tail. He knows you loved him and he loved you. My heart goes out to you both.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge