James Isn't Doing Too Well

Guest juliagulia630

Guest juliagulia630

For those of you who don't know, James was diagnosed in February with osteo in his rear leg. He had his amputation at OSU in March. We recieved bad news in May that despite chemo the cancer spread to his lungs.

He has been doing great up until a week ago when we noticed him slow down. We thought we needed to add a joint supplement so we started him on Springtime. He did great for a about 2 days then started to go down hill fast. His remaining back leg is giving out more and now tonight we noticed both of his front wrists are warm and swollen. It looks like he is walking on egg shells when he walks. He isn't panting anymore then usual or yelping. He is resting/sleeping more. He is eating well. The only other thing going on is that his eyes just started draining a green discharge off and on.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I was thinking immune mediated polyarthritis. Since there is a holiday tomorrow we were going to go to the vet Tuesday anyways for his eyes. But with the wrist swelling should we see an evet tomorrow?

Edited by juliagulia630

Julia, sorry I do not have any advice based on the symptoms. We are all pulling for James and he is a very special boy. If you can get him to an e-vet that you trust, then I suggest going there as it sounds like he may be in pain when he walks.

I remember that post a while back you posted a pic of James running and that sticks in my mind of how happy a boy he is. I will be thinking good thoughts for you both and hope it's something treatable.

Have you tried to PM Jenn (NeylasMom)? She has a lot of experience/knowledge as you know treating Neyla. I believe you can do it now that you have 50 posts.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest juliagulia630

Thanks for checking on us Robin. He looks ok, no worse but no better. We all stayed home and spent the day outside since it was really nice here. I spoke to our vet who had me give him a deramaxx and tramadol. He doesn't have a fever just really stiff. We are going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. I really don't want to do anything invasive (needle aspirate/blood work) since James has been through so much. But if it is something that prednisone can fix then please fix! I will keep you updated.

Any word from the vet? Hope that it's nothing major and James is on the mend soon. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest juliagulia630

Got back from the vet and we aren't entirely sure what is going on but treatment would be the same. His cancer could be causing a immune mediated polyathritis or the cancer is in his lymph system causing swelling at the joints and his eyes to drain. His exam was normal, great lung sounds and no lymphadenopathy. We are taking prednisone for a few days then will taper depending on how he is doing. He told us that this could give days or weeks but to be realistic. Once the cancer starts showing new symptoms, it moves fast. James is resting at my feet after eating chicken breast and frosty paws for lunch. Thanks for all your advice and concern.

Thanks for the update. :goodluck that the pred helps!

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sending prayers for your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Many prayers for James!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Any improvement yet with the pred? :hope

I hope James is doing better.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.