Neck Injury--Ruby

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we've not found too much that she'll eat on her own. My daughter gave her a couple of graham crackers last night. This morning I had to syringe feed her again. I'm going to cook some chicken breast today, and if she doesn't take that willingly..then I don't know what to do.

Yesterday we took her to a chiropractor--he works on humans and animals--who came highly recommended by someone I know. He told us to bring her back again tonight, and then on Thursday, and he says that on Thursday, after three sessions, he will be able to tell us if he thinks he can get her going again. He told us she is in better shape than most of the dogs he sees, so that was a little encouraging. He said she's definitely got something going on with her C-5, but her whole spine is very flexible, which is in her favor. If he doesn't give us a good report then, we are running out of options. We can't, and won't, keep doing this--syringe feeding, sling-walking--because it isn't fair to her, or to us. I don't have a good feeling about her prospects.

On the way there, she actually stood up in the car--and then pooped. :lol

Are we having fun yet?? :blink:

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Personally, I'd feed her whatever she wanted. All the best food in the world won't help if she won't eat it.

Have you tried making slice & bake dog cookies from her canned food? Quite a few of us with renal failure dogs found that the same prescription food our dogs turned their noses up at straight from the can miraculously became a yummy treat if baked & served like a cookie. Go figure. Give it a try. You've nothing to lose but the cost of one can of food.

Another idea is to try giving her a Tums, Tagamet, Zantac or Pepcid 10 min to an hour before a meal. It may settle an acid stomach caused by her prior lack of eating.

Thank you for the "slice and bake cookie" suggestion! I never would've thought to do that! I made some today--8 cookies--Jack ate one, and so far Ruby has eaten all but one of the remaining 7!

Thank you for the "slice and bake cookie" suggestion!  I never would've thought to do that!  I made some today--8 cookies--Jack ate one, and so far Ruby has eaten all but one of the remaining 7!

Yeah! Good to hear she got a little but into her. Baking canned food is strange, no? It isn't something I would have thought of on my own but I was very glad someone had & shared the idea.  

Hope things improve. 

continuing to send prayers for your sweet baby. :hope glad the canned "cookies" were appealing!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Cautiously optimistic....yesterday while we were getting things ready for the second trip to the chiro, Ruby GOT UP on her own, and WALKED about 30 feet, from the living room to the laundry room!! AMAZING!! She is managing a whole lot better, still a bit wobbly, unsteady, and weak, of course, but she can GET and WALK now!! This is day 10---and I think she's gonna make it. :) I am beside myself with happiness! My DH says, "she will live to cost me a few thousand more..."--kidding of course, because he, too, is very happy with her progress. She still isn't eating great, but hopefully that will come as she feels stronger.

WOO HOO for the chiropractor!! We take her again on Thursday, and he'll give us his opinion as to whether or not it's fixable--I think we may already know the answer!

I've been following this thread for days, and thinking of Ruby.

Now it sounds as if things are looking up!

:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Cautiously optimistic....yesterday while we were getting things ready for the second trip to the chiro, Ruby GOT UP on her own, and WALKED about 30 feet, from the living room to the laundry room!! AMAZING!! She is managing a whole lot better, still a bit wobbly, unsteady, and weak, of course, but she can GET and WALK now!! This is day 10---and I think she's gonna make it. :) I am beside myself with happiness! My DH says, "she will live to cost me a few thousand more..."--kidding of course, because he, too, is very happy with her progress. She still isn't eating great, but hopefully that will come as she feels stronger.

WOO HOO for the chiropractor!! We take her again on Thursday, and he'll give us his opinion as to whether or not it's fixable--I think we may already know the answer!

Oh, I am SO pleased to read this! I come in here to check, half afraid to read, but it's good news! Happy to hear she liked the slice'n'bake 'cookies' too! I must remember that for the future. Thanks for the tip, whoever said that!

Sending more good thoughts and gentle scritches to darling Ruby. :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

:) Wonderful news.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Now that Ruby is starting to navigate on her own more, HOW DO I GET HER TO EAT??? We are still syringe feeding her, and it is really getting tiresome. She will eat some things willingly--last night we gave her a few gingersnaps, and a fig newton, two things she really loves--and she ate them happily. She will NOT eat dog food (canned) at all, but will take it from the syringe. SHE NEEDS REAL NUTRITION!! I made her an egg (sunny side up) this morning, and she would not touch it. I am very frustrated with her unwillingness to eat. I cannot syringe feed her indefinitely....any ideas??

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Have you tried heating the canned food a bit? Or hand feeding it? Some of the things I got Morgan to eat: deli meats (turkey and roast beef), sardines, baby food, vanilla instant breakfast. There's a supplement called Dyne that he liked too.

Yes, I heat the food. I have also hand-fed it, but that is even more of a mess than the syringe. She will eat certain things, but the really NUTRITIOUS stuff--the stuff she NEEDS to get stronger--she will not eat willingly.

Is there someone--a relative, neighbor, or GH group person--who can come by and spell you for a while? You sound really tired and she may be picking up your stress about the situation. If someone else could try to feed her the novelty may help her, it will give you a break and will give you some company.

When Cosmo was on chemo, I heard of some drug that vets gave to increase appetite. IIRC, it is typically a cat drug that is used as an appetite enhancer for dogs.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I agree, I am very weary of trying to get her to eat. I hate to see her getting even thinner....

The question remains--how long do we (I--because I do it most of the time) go on syringe-feeding her?? She has been home from the hospital for a week and two days now. And does her lack of interest in food mean something else--that maybe this is all too much for her? The poor old girl, I am sure this is harder than any race she ever ran...and she is almost 12....

She is amazingly better, as far as walking goes, still nowhere near 100%, but at least she can ambulate on her own, but the eating thing is driving me nuts!

Just talked to our vet. She is calling in a script for an appetite stimulant, and said to give Pepcid, too. She feels there's something else going on. Ruby's liver enzymes were in the normal range last Saturday, but "higher than they usually are"; and her bilirubin is elevated. She thinks she could have some organ damage from when she was without oxygen; she said it can heal, but it takes time. Also, there could be some 'low grade' pancreatitis--the blood work didn't indicate it, but it could still be there. Also her ggt was elevated. Not sure what that means.

DR. B. said Ruby should be eating on her own by now, that's why she feels something else is happening.

Edited by rascalsmom