Sara Is In Surgery Right Now

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Thank you kikibean ;)

It's been a rough and hectic day. I didn't sleep at all last night and I've had an upset stomach all day but, the good news is, Sara is doing well! The vet called me after lunch (ok, so I called first because I hadn't heard from them and they said it would only be a 2 hour surgery and it had been 3 hours! As I was talking to the vet tech, the vet was calling me on the other line!).

The surgery took a little longer than they thought it would but everything is fine. The good news is, the tumor was growing out and not up her leg. Thank goodness. They didn't have to remove her lymph node. The tumor was in it's own encasement so there were not nasty, scary legs to it. The only issue is, because it was so stuck in the muscle, they had to take more of the muscle than normal. So, that means there will be less padding. She'll be fine it's just that they want to keep her at least 5 days. That's fine with me. I'll miss her but she'll be watch 24/7 there and I'll just be a nervous wreck at home.

So, Sara was resting on a big soft bed and she was full of meds. The vet is going to check in on her around 5 and call me back. The vet, who I first met on Wednesday (referral from the rescue group here on long island) is usually off on Fridays but she came in especially for Sara!!!

I can't see her until tomorrow, which I knew from reading posts on this board. So, I'll wait patiently. Oh, and I also brought her a shirt that I wore all day yesterday especially to leave with her so she had my scent when she woke up. The vet new automatically why I brought it. Visiting hours for her tomorrow are 12-5:30. I hope I can hold out until 12!

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like really great news, and I'm so glad to hear that your husband is supporting everything (and you know everyone here at Greytalk wishes you didn't have to go through any of this either, right?)

Hugs to you all, and I hope you can find something to do to keep the clock from moving slowly.

Prayers for a smooth, quick recovery for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I dropped her off this morning. She of course, jumped right into my truck with no problems. Made me think a second but then, at the vet, you could tell she was uncomfortable and not bearing any weight on the leg.

Thank you all so much for your support. My husband read through all your posts last night. He is 100% behind me with this now. He said his issue is, he doesn't want to have to do it at all however, he knows there is no other option.

5 days will give her a good long time to get on her feet and you'll be sure she's steady when she comes home.

These first 2 weeks are going to be hard. You will second guess it because it is traumatic. You'll wonder why you put her through this. But it seems like at the 2 week mark they suddenly just bounce back.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Update on Sara!!!

I went to see her yesterday and today!!

Yesterday, the vet said she was doing really well. The amcar (is that the correct spelling??) really helped and her wound isn't oozing at all. She also had minimal bruising. She wasn't crying at all and handling things well. They had taken her out to relieve herself and they said that while they were holding her, she was already balancing herself on her back leg! They said they of course, didn't let her go because she's on a lot of drugs but, it's a good sign. When I walked in to the room where she was, the doctor had her cage open. She had been sitting up on her front legs and the second she saw me, she put her head down and relaxed. The vet said that normally dogs get anxious when their owners come in but for Sara, it was the opposite. She was anxious and once she saw me, she relaxed! We spent some time together. She wasn't eating yet so I brought her some pizza crust to see if she would take it. She wouldn't but, that's ok. It was great seeing her. The wound wasn't as bad as I had expected. She had a blanket on her and I didn't want to stare at it because I wasn't sure if that would make her nervous. When I went to leave, she picked her head up again so of course, I sat back down with her and stayed a little bit longer.

Today, my husband came with me and we brought our 5 year old. On the way there, I was telling him what had happened and he had some questions but he was ok. He took it pretty well and I think Sara was very excited to see him. I brought her some peanut butter and she wouldn't take any from me but when my son offered it to her, she licked it off his finger! She's doing well today. She was whimpering a little but the vet said she was due for pain meds. She was up on her front paws more than yesterday but still seems a little out of it. I know she's on a ton of drugs but I just want to see her smile again! I know i will soon.

I'm hoping to see her again tomorrow but since I'm back to work, it might not be possible. Luckily, they are open until 9 but I don't know when is the latest I can visit her. I forgot to ask today. I'll find out tomorrow when I call. My husband may check in on her on his way home from work. My parents may go see her too.

I miss her so much. The house isn't the same without her. Poor Hailey, my other grey, misses her . You can tell. Sara is a bit of an alpha dog and Hailey is lost without her. It will be good when she's home.

Wonderful update :clap Hope she continues to do well and recovers quickly.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Yeah Sara! Awesome update!

I don't know about where Sara is, but our hospital told me we could come in any time to see Dude. We just would have to wait until they could get us in if it wasn't visiting time. You might try taking her something meaty - like a hamburger or some rotisserie chicken - to spark her appetite.

Also, don't be surprised if the dynamic between your dogs changes when Sara comes home. Hailey might become the caregiver/protector, and Sara might feel a bit less like leading - at least at first.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so glad to read the positive update. It sounds like the whole family is moving forward. I was thinking of Sara off and on today, and would say a quick prayer for her when she crossed my mind.

She's a strong, brave girl!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest fringepup

That is the best update and thank you! You all have been on my mind this weekend. It sounds like Sara is doing really well and I bet she will do even better once she is home with her family. I am so relieved for all of you! Keep in touch!