Bijou Is Heading For A Dental Monday

I know a dental should not be a big deal, but Bijou is 12 and getting a little frail so I worry. I can tell there will probably be an extraction or two. I take her to our GPA vet Monday morning bright and early and if all goes well back home that afternoon. Bijou was my 2nd houndie and I think she has something in her DNA that says bad teeth...:lol My first, Isis, lived to 13 before the Big C took her and never had dental issues. So if there is extractions, this is a whole new area I have no experience with.

If there are any teeth extractions, I was wondering if it should feed her some soft canned foods for a few days after just to give the gums some healing time?

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

The vet should give you instructions. Good luck, Bijou! Summer just had a dental, too, and came through with flying colors. I'm sure you'll do fine and your mouth will smell wonderful afterwards! There are a LOT more kisses coming your way once the nasty smells are taken care of!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Greg,

The vet will give you instructions, my vet always says soft food for 10 days even when there were no extractions.

And don't be too concerned if she doesn't want to eat when she comes home. I am also very careful with their water intake when they first get home. Some of them want to down a lot and they end up throwing up.

Many many prayers for an easy dental for the most beautiful girl in the world!

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Hi Greg!

My good friend's 13 yr old girl, Missy, just had a dental. She, too, came through with flying colors! Missy went to a GH savvy vet, my former vet and employer, Dr. Beau, in Florida. Missy was on soft food for about a week, and as Claudia said, she really didn't want to eat much that first day. After that, her Mom spoiled her with lots of soft homemade goodies :-)

Sending love, hugs and prayers Bijou's way! Love, Dee and The Five

Greg, Sallie just had a dental on Friday and she lost 6 teeth :eek She is a little younger (I think half Bijou age :lol ), but probably the only thing that will be different for Bijou is it usually takes the older ones longer to shake off the effects of the anesthesia. Sallie acted pretty stoned last night, but she's fine today. She may not want to eat (although Sallie did) and there will probably be some bloody drool. That's normal, don't worry unless there is a lot of actual bleeding. I've had Sallie on soft food for the last 10 days, after the repeated GSODs from eating a cookie :rolleyes: and will keep it that way for about a week. Sallie is the first one of my greys to have typical greyhound teeth.

:kiss2 Bijou

Wanted to add a note on the bleeding because Jan brought up a good point about seeing some blood being very normal.

If you do see blood, you'll be able to tell she's clotting just fine

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Many prayers. My JJ (who is only three) actually would not eat for two days after a regular dental - so you may see that. Good luck to beautiful Bijou!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest azlorenz

Sending Ms. Bijou good wishes for a perfectly uneventful dental tomorrow.

And big hugs for the anxious Daddyman -- I can totally relate to what you are feeling. :grouphug

Best wishes. I'm sure she'll be fine. Clean mouth = better quality of life!

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Fingers crossed for your sweetest girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Best wishes to Bijou, and to you! Hope it goes very smoothly.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Good luck tomorrow Bijou (and Daddyman). Can't wait to see a picture of you flashing those pearly whites. :colgate

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Lots of good thoughts for the girl with the sweetest face I have ever seen and hugs for her worried daddy :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Good luck tomorrow. Our Grey had 4 teeth extracted at age 11 and he did fine with that. However, he seems to have issues after anesthetic even though my Vet insists he follows the protocol I gave him for Greys and anesthetic.

Love the name, by the way, If I ever got a Papillion, thought I might name it Bijou.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I usually give my pups cooled scrambled eggs for the first meal as it is soft, it is protein, and it doesn'y bother teeth gums plus it is human food so they like it. Seems to go down good and it perks them up a bit as their gums are in pain. They seem to heal very quickly - next meals work in the vets canned food then I start adding in the watered down dog food a little at a time with the canned dog food. By the third day they are usually back to normal

Something for Bijou to look forward to -- a few days after the dental, a little vanilla ice cream (followed by oral hygiene, of course). So soothing to the gums! :colgate

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest greymama002

Lots of good thoughts for the beautiful Bijou & her daddy this morning! Speaking of which; it's been a very long time since we've had pics of that precious face!

:brushteeth

I am such a believer in dentals. Paws crossed that all goes well for Bijou (such a greyt name!).

Last Thursday, I took my almost 10 yr old boy (adopted last year) in for a dental. All went well, one extraction. A bottom tooth all the way in the back was loose due to gum recession so they yanked it. This is why dentals are so important. I never would have known he had a wobbly toofer.

Anyway, two days later he was winding up for zoomies in the living room (for which I had to issue a cease and desist order). No problem eating although I have softened his food since the dental.

The only thing I wasn't prepared for (this was the first extraction I have had to deal with) was the pool of blood that seeped out of his mouth while lying down (in the evening post-dental and Day 2 also). Looked like he had a bad nosebleed on his blanket. But now he is doing fine!

My almost 12 yr old girl had a dental in November. Passed with flying colors. No problems, no extractions.

Have faith. Hope all goes well for your girl. :)