Jabari Is Sick

Poor little man :( How is he doing lately, Lucy?

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, poor guy. I second the Arnica, although I've always applied a gel to the area. It works really well for getting rid of bruises and it's not just about the physical appearance, but the actual pain (which it took my sort of slow brain a little while to figure out :P). I use it on myself all of the time now.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Bari's leg seems to be ok, it was really very minor, he is just soooo dramatic! But, now we are having a new issue :( He needs to pee every 2-3 hrs, so when I leave I put a bellyband on him with a maxi pad in it. He is starting to get some urine burn :( :( I was putting it on him at night too, but have stopped doing that and just wake up every few hrs to let him out. I feel absolutely awful every time I put the bellyband on him, it's not his fault he can't hold it anymore, but I can't think of any alternative. I live in a very small studio so there is no way to set up anything indoors that wouldn't be nasty, plus he lifts his leg and often moves while peeing so I don't think it would work anyway. Would something like vaseline help or just make it worse? Has anyone dealt with this? Unfortunately i don't see an end to this problem, as we still have no idea what is causing him to pee so much. Poor guy :sad1

Might try Desitin.

Would an ex-pen with shower curtain down 3 sides work? There'd still be the one open side, but it would contain things *somewhat*.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

One thing that Sage's foster mom suggested to me for him was to put up a babygate with a potty pad hanging on it and another potty pad next to and underneath the gate. That way he can lift his leg on it and the one below catches everything. Maybe you could do something like that with an ex pen?

Good thoughts for your wee little man :grouphug

Maybe try Boudreaux's Butt Paste? It's for diaper rash in babies. I've heard great things about it with babies...I bet that would help.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Check out Tinkle Trousers (I think it's just www.tinkletrousers.com). Someone else suggested them to me for neyla. I never tried them, but her oncologist used them for her older incontinent dog and swore by them. They were expensive, but may not be so bad for a smaller dog. Glad the leg is better at least.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Lucy they have indoor grass squares. Maybe put it up only at night? They also make " diaper doublers". They hold a lot more and stay dryer than pads. I use to get them at Thriftys or Longs. Drugstore type place. If you can't find them let me know. I'll send you some. I'm sure they are still around.

There is also a product called acid mantle. Worked wonders at restoring ph balance to skin. Another drugstore pharmacy item.

The Girls

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a rough few days :( Legs has been sick, and Jabari had a seizure on Thursday, the first one I know of in years. It was mild but still really scary and makes me really feel that there is something not good going on :cry1 Since then he's been really clingy but appetite is good and he has a decent amount of energy. But, I also noticed a small lump deep in his shoulder :( It's like half the size of a pea. I don't know if this is from the dog bite (there was no broken skin, just a bruise) or what was causing the initial pain. I will be taking him to the vet again this week, hopefully she can see him tomorrow....

eta - thanks so much for the suggestions of diaper rash cream! The irritated area was able to heal last weekend when I didn't have to leave him home for very long, and hasn't reappeared. So that is good news :)

Edited by RileysLegacy

Guest Javasmom
:grouphug So sorry you are going through this. This is the heart breaking part of having pets. I hope this turns out to be nothing serious!

Continued prayers and well wishes.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sending more healing thoughts Jabari's way. Hugs to you Lucy.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound