Jabari Is Sick

3/27/11 update #85

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3/22/11 update #51

2/14/11 update in post #35

To try to make a long story short, Jabari started having peeing issues about a year ago. He was peeing every couple of hours and it seemed to be a good amount each time. I brought in a urine sample, nothing showed up. Bloodwork, nothing. He was given Clavamox for 10 days, the sxs went away for a couple of weeks. Then he started peeing again. Clavamox again for 10 days, same thing. So we tried the meds for 3 weeks, and that seemed to do it. The vet mentioned the possibility of an infection of the bladder wall, but there was no proof of that. He was fine for the last 6+ months.

Well, he started peeing excessively again a few days ago. He has also seemed a little thin to me in the last few weeks, so I increased his food, but it seemed like he was continuing to lose weight. I brought a urine sample to the vet on Saturday, and he was down from almost 12 lbs to 9 lbs (and I keep my dogs on the thin side to begin with). This is a lot for such a small guy :( The vet called later that day and said there was no sign of infection but the urine wasn't concentrated so she was worried about kidney issues. So I took him in for bloodwork, and everything looks normal :dunno

He is going back to the vet tomorrow to have a full physical exam and prob get some meds, but she doesn't know what is wrong. I wouldn't have been that worried about just the peeing, but the weight loss scares me since he is 11 1/2. :blush

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by RileysLegacy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No ideas...sorry....but sending you good thoughts...

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Has the urine been cultured?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lucy, I have no ideas for you. We're kind of going through the same thing with Skimmie right now. Literally I have taken him outside 3 times in the last half hour because he starts pacing (which means he has to pee). And then he stands there and pees and pees and pees forever. We just went to the vet on Saturday, so we've got Clavamox now, but, he's been on it since then and we've seen no improvement. We didn't do any bloodwork yet.

What does his pee look like? Skimmie's is (and always has been) like water. It's nearly clear :blink:

Hope you can find an answer...maybe do an xray or ultrasound of the bladder to look for stones? I would think if he had stones he'd be in some pain, but, I don't know that for sure.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sounds exactly like what happened to Wyatt. Unfortunately,my vet was never able to diagnose something and the only specific thing he could get NEAR was MAYBE addison's disease. At first, we suspected kidney failure and possible PLE, but just like Jabari, the bloodwork looked semi-ok. His symptoms were peeing HUGE amounts at once and wasting (lost so much he got dangerously close to 52 pounds at one point on a frame that should carry around 78). They did find large amounts of protein in his urine which was why PLE was suspected and why he was losing weight. The vet remained very confounded, however, due to the bloodwork never leading him in any definitive direction.

At one point, I thought he was going to die that very day. The vet put him on 20 mg of pred and miraculously, he made a turn around, got his appetite back and started gaining weight. We decreased that to the point that he is now on 5 mg indefinitely. He's doing fine now. Normal appetite, back to a good weight and seems to pee about the right amount now.

I don't necessarily love that he is on pred, but after the next bloodwork round, we may be able to think about weaning him off of it.

This was not helpful, but it was just to tell you some possible things to look for.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Lucy has the vet ruled out diabetes?

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Sounds exactly like what happened to Wyatt. ... At first, we suspected kidney failure and possible PLE, but just like Jabari, the bloodwork looked semi-ok. His symptoms were peeing HUGE amounts at once and wasting (lost so much he got dangerously close to 52 pounds at one point on a frame that should carry around 78). They did find large amounts of protein in his urine which was why PLE was suspected and why he was losing weight. The vet remained very confounded, however, due to the bloodwork never leading him in any definitive direction.

At one point, I thought he was going to die that very day. The vet put him on 20 mg of pred and miraculously, he made a turn around, got his appetite back and started gaining weight. We decreased that to the point that he is now on 5 mg indefinitely. He's doing fine now. Normal appetite, back to a good weight and seems to pee about the right amount now.

I don't necessarily love that he is on pred, but after the next bloodwork round, we may be able to think about weaning him off of it.

This was not helpful, but it was just to tell you some possible things to look for.

You've been helpful to me. Your Wyatt and my Sam: Sam had protein in his urine last summer. His weight is down to 58--not as extreme as Wyatt's loss, since Sam usually was a skinny 65 or so, but 58 looks awful on him. We're doing Tylan for three weeks (we're at the end of the first week); if that's not helpful (and I'm not impressed so far), we'll try prednisone, I think. Sam drinks like the proverbial fish--always has. His appetite is good. But he's scared the bejeebers out of me with this weight loss: he went from three cups of kibble a day to four cups...and still lost weight.

5370931332_a159919585.jpg My skinny old man at the vet last week.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Lucy, I have no ideas for you. We're kind of going through the same thing with Skimmie right now. Literally I have taken him outside 3 times in the last half hour because he starts pacing (which means he has to pee). And then he stands there and pees and pees and pees forever. We just went to the vet on Saturday, so we've got Clavamox now, but, he's been on it since then and we've seen no improvement. We didn't do any bloodwork yet.

What does his pee look like? Skimmie's is (and always has been) like water. It's nearly clear :blink:

Hope you can find an answer...maybe do an xray or ultrasound of the bladder to look for stones? I would think if he had stones he'd be in some pain, but, I don't know that for sure.

Hmmm, that's strange that Skimmie has the same thing! Did the vet find anything in his urine? Jabari has been drinking a bit more water, and his pee is almost clear. I am thinking ultrasound is the next step.

Sounds exactly like what happened to Wyatt. Unfortunately,my vet was never able to diagnose something and the only specific thing he could get NEAR was MAYBE addison's disease. At first, we suspected kidney failure and possible PLE, but just like Jabari, the bloodwork looked semi-ok. His symptoms were peeing HUGE amounts at once and wasting (lost so much he got dangerously close to 52 pounds at one point on a frame that should carry around 78). They did find large amounts of protein in his urine which was why PLE was suspected and why he was losing weight. The vet remained very confounded, however, due to the bloodwork never leading him in any definitive direction.

Thanks Lynn, that is helpful. It gives me some thing to bring up with my vet. I so glad Wyatt is doing better.

Lucy has the vet ruled out diabetes?

She hasn't mentioned it, but I will ask. Thank you.

KF_in_Georgia, I hope you can figure out what is going on with Sam. He's such a handsome boy :wub:

I just looked at some pics to compare :( This is how Jabari looks normally:

jabaribeach-2.jpg

And this was him last week: (and I think he is even skinnier now)

DSC_0083.jpg

Thanks so much for all the good thoughts. This boy is so special to me, he just has to be ok.

Diabetes or high blood pressure come to mind. Also, a neutered male and sudden peeing makes me think enlarged prostate.

:grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Ultrasound isn't a bad idea. Add a blood pressure to that.

The reason I suggest a culture & sensitivity is, he gets better when on antibiotics, which strongly suggests an infective process. That he doesn't *stay* better suggests that the antibiotic isn't the right one to knock out the bug. We went through this with Gidget -- in fact, of the two antibiotics pinpointed in the culture & sensitivity, one merely kept the bug at bay; we had to use the other for 4-6 weeks to kill it.

Hope you can get to the bottom of things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor little guy...he does look really thin :( No advice, just lots of hugs and prayers :grouphug:hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

How worrying. And that's a rapid weight loss too. Unfortunately a whole raft of things need to be ruled out and many of them are far from easy to get to the bottom of.

There are the more straighforward ones like Kidney disease and Diabetes, then there are Adrenal Gland issues and Hyperthyroidism, complex issues of malabsorbtion and vitamin metabolism, tumors of one kind or another. It gets to be a real cats-cradle of a thing to get to the bottom of.

One thought I had though... it was mentioned that a simple antibiotic made the condition better for a while, so maybe there is some kind of tumor or abscess activity and the antibiotics are helping to contain issues of tissue degradation around it? Or it may be something as simple as a weak bladder wall that lets infections take hold easily. A relative of mine needs to have what the doctors call a 'relining' treatment every 3 months or so, and even then it is only Ciprofloxacin or Gentomycin (which they hate using) that remedies any bad infections.

Hang in there with the tests because it could well be something easily treatable.

Sounds exactly like what happened to Wyatt. ... At first, we suspected kidney failure and possible PLE, but just like Jabari, the bloodwork looked semi-ok. His symptoms were peeing HUGE amounts at once and wasting (lost so much he got dangerously close to 52 pounds at one point on a frame that should carry around 78). They did find large amounts of protein in his urine which was why PLE was suspected and why he was losing weight. The vet remained very confounded, however, due to the bloodwork never leading him in any definitive direction.

You've been helpful to me. Your Wyatt and my Sam: Sam had protein in his urine last summer. His weight is down to 58--not as extreme as Wyatt's loss, since Sam usually was a skinny 65 or so, but 58 looks awful on him. We're doing Tylan for three weeks (we're at the end of the first week); if that's not helpful (and I'm not impressed so far), we'll try prednisone, I think. Sam drinks like the proverbial fish--always has. His appetite is good. But he's scared the bejeebers out of me with this weight loss: he went from three cups of kibble a day to four cups...and still lost weight.

5370931332_a159919585.jpg My skinny old man at the vet last week.

He's so cute- I want to hug him. LOVE the earsies.

Guest Swifthounds

Ultrasound isn't a bad idea. Add a blood pressure to that.

The reason I suggest a culture & sensitivity is, he gets better when on antibiotics, which strongly suggests an infective process. That he doesn't *stay* better suggests that the antibiotic isn't the right one to knock out the bug. We went through this with Gidget -- in fact, of the two antibiotics pinpointed in the culture & sensitivity, one merely kept the bug at bay; we had to use the other for 4-6 weeks to kill it.

Hope you can get to the bottom of things.

:nod

The response to antibiotic suggests infection of some sort, but it can also be improvement from the anti-inflammatory properties of the antibiotic. When Prancer had bladder/prostate cancer he improved on antibiotics. When Vixen was on antis as a precaution while we waited for bloodwork, U/A, and the culture to come back, she improved somewhat - and she had no infection.

A urine culture, done when the dog has been off antibiotics for a number of days, can help pinpoint infection and give guidance as to what antibiotic would be best. If that showed nothing helpful, or if you don't want to wait, I would do an ultrasound.

:bighug for you and Jabari

Lucy, we decided to put him on Clavamox based off of the Ph of his urine. The little brat wouldn't pee enough for us to get a great sample, but, I got a couple of drops and they were able to at least get a Ph from that. He has a recheck on the 5th of February and I'm hoping we'll be able to get some urine from him. Otherwise they will have to do a cystocentesis to get some.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

The vet is stumped, but is suspecting kidneys despite the bloodwork being ok. She put him on amoxicillin for now, and he is getting an ultrasound tomorrow. She is concerned about his weight loss. Hopefully the ultrasound will show something, the worst is not knowing! I get to watch so it should be interesting. Thanks again everyone, will update tomorrow.