Jabari Is Sick

Keeping Jabari in my thoughts... Hugs to you :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentle hugs to Jabari!! I am keeping my fingers and all our paws crossed for good news for him and Legs, too!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

No real news :( I'm pretty sure my vet thinks I'm totally crazy :crazy She did a needle aspirate of the lump but couldn't see anything and said she doesn't think it is worth removing it. She said she's been chatting with the internist and they thought maybe Jabari is going senile or he's very anxious at home, maybe try rescue remedy. I think she was implying I need it too :lol This couldn't be farther from the truth though, he's just sooo scared at the vet. :( At home, he's totally relaxed, he's the boss of all of us, and hasn't shown any signs of dementia that I can tell. He will visibly flinch when I touch his shoulder at home, but at the vet he just shakes and shakes and nothing elicits a reaction from him. So, it's not my vet's fault at all, but it's frustrating. She prescribed him prednisone, i think just to do something, but to be honest I haven't given it to him. I don't want to give him such a powerful drug when there's no specific reason. Am I wrong? He doesn't seem to be in awful pain or anything, but will cry out when I pick him up sometimes (so I have pretty much stopped picking him up). He's gained a pound since he's been on his AYCE diet, but is still peeing frequently.

Ah, Lucy! :( I wish I had something useful to say, other than trust your own gut. You know him better than the vet, and YOU know if he's not right. Glad his diaper rash is better, but the seizure is definitely a sign something's out of kilter. The shoulder lump may be something or not, but it sounds like that side is tender, anyhow, for some reason. Hopefully you can work out what it is, or it goes away, soon!!

:bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

How's your little guy doing, Lucy?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

How's your little guy doing, Lucy?

Thanks for asking Kristin. He's doing ok... still peeing too much and not totally himself, but he has gained weight! Now that he doesn't look as frail I am not as freaked, but still watching him like a hawk and really making sure to appreciate every single moment we have together. :)

I've been following this thread but hadn't posted since you already had everything covered between your internist and other responses responses here. Glad to hear Jabari's doing ok and has gained some weight back. Don't have a whole lot to add now, but just wanted to share a similar experience.

I had an IG, Casey, who started having episodes of increased drinking and urinating that started when he was around 9 years old. During this time, his urine concentration was borderline dilute (USG around 1.025-1.030) and bloodwork stayed completely normal. Can't remember if you've said what Jabari's urine concentration has been?

After a couple years, the increased drinking and urination became more consistent to where he had to go out every 1-2 hours, which continued for the rest of his life. When I wasn't home, he was baby gated in my kitchen, and he would pee on towels that I kept down for him. It wasn't until he was 12 years old that bloodwork showed increases in his kidney levels, and he was diagnosed with chronic renal disease.

Casey also developed some mobility issues, and started having trouble going down stairs at about 10 years old. This was eventually diagnosed as a cervical neck issue, and having him treated with acupuncture, chiro, and therapeutic laser by a vet who specialized and rehab and sports medicine helped for a while. I'm wondering if lower neck pain might explain Jabari's painful shoulder and crying when you pick him up? In talking to a friend who breeds IGs, she said that she's seen a lot of iggies develop disc problems in their neck when they get older.

I lost Casey a couple months before he turned 13 back in 2008, and I still miss him and think about him often. Here's my favorite photo of him.

casey10.jpg

And a video taken the day after he turned 12. His stiff gait and occasional loss of balance was due to the neck issue.

th_caseyyard.jpg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I've been following this thread but hadn't posted since you already had everything covered between your internist and other responses responses here. Glad to hear Jabari's doing ok and has gained some weight back. Don't have a whole lot to add now, but just wanted to share a similar experience.

I had an IG, Casey, who started having episodes of increased drinking and urinating that started when he was around 9 years old. During this time, his urine concentration was borderline dilute (USG around 1.025-1.030) and bloodwork stayed completely normal. Can't remember if you've said what Jabari's urine concentration has been?

After a couple years, the increased drinking and urination became more consistent to where he had to go out every 1-2 hours, which continued for the rest of his life. When I wasn't home, he was baby gated in my kitchen, and he would pee on towels that I kept down for him. It wasn't until he was 12 years old that bloodwork showed increases in his kidney levels, and he was diagnosed with chronic renal disease.

Casey also developed some mobility issues, and started having trouble going down stairs at about 10 years old. This was eventually diagnosed as a cervical neck issue, and having him treated with acupuncture, chiro, and therapeutic laser by a vet who specialized and rehab and sports medicine helped for a while. I'm wondering if lower neck pain might explain Jabari's painful shoulder and crying when you pick him up? In talking to a friend who breeds IGs, she said that she's seen a lot of iggies develop disc problems in their neck when they get older.

I lost Casey a couple months before he turned 13 back in 2008, and I still miss him and think about him often. Here's my favorite photo of him.

Hi Jennifer, thanks so much for your post. Casey was so handsome! :wub:

My vet did mention a disc issue, but it was 1 of like 20 possible things she mentioned it could be, so I didn't really think much of it. It is interesting that your friend said she's seen lots of IGs with disc problems. I am going to look into this for sure.

If i remember correctly, one of Bari's urine sample was dilute, but the rest were all perfectly normal, so they dismissed that as a fluke. I think I've brought in at least 5 samples by now, and they did a sterile urine culture as well. They keep telling me it is just old age, but the way it came on so suddenly and has happened in the past and then improved makes me feel like it is more than that. But I am not going to put Jabari through any more tests for now, since we are managing the situation ok at this point. Thanks again!

Guest IHeartDogs

I'm so sorry, what a run of bad luck.

I just wanted to concur with your choice of not wanting to give the pred. Frequent/dilute urination will most likely get worse on pred because that is the #1 side effect of pred use.

Sending tons of healing thoughts and prayers...

:grouphug

Edited by IHeartDogs

In a perfect tuck position. All judges give him a 10+.wub.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis