Jabari Is Sick

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest twoskinnydogs

I have used Michigan State for thyroid panel before, they are rather inexpensive and do a complete thyroid work up. Their Profile includes: TT4, TT3, FT4, FT3, TSH, TgAA, T3AA, T4AA. Along with the tests an Endocrinologist will evaluate the results based on the breed. Just putting it out there, this test is much more accurate than local labs.

Here is the link to the site:

My link

Aww, thank you everyone!

Is licking a sign of pain? I've been noticing that Jabari has been licking his leg a lot. I thought it was b/c he has to pee so urgently when I take him outside now that he doesn't have time to lift his leg and often pees on his feet (and of course I wipe them off afterward). But I've been paying more attention and he's licking the top of his leg also. What could be wrong with his shoulder/leg?? :(

I hope the vet has some new ideas tomorrow, I'm really freaking out :weep

Maybe some xrays of the leg/shoulder area are in order...Sutra licked his osteo leg quite a bit and around that time I read that dogs will do that sometimes...

I hope that you can find some answers soon...it's so frustrating not to know what's going on...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

:riphair Nothing new from the vet. It's not her fault, Jabari gets so scared he just shakes and goes into a zone where he doesn't react to anything she does. So it is impossible for her to really tell what is wrong. He has not lost any more weight, so that is good. But the leg thing is a mystery, the peeing is worse, and overall he's just not himself. At times i wonder if I am just being overly sensitive and crazy, and it's just my dog getting old, but I have that mother instinct telling me that something is really wrong. :(

He's on Rimadyl and supposed to rest for 2 weeks, hopefully that will help his shoulder/leg. If he were a greyhound of course I'd have already gotten x-rays, but osteo is pretty much unheard of in iggies.

Just sending scritchies to your little bug.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Cute video of my toofless boy the other day :heart

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4cLN1oalHJg

Awwww! I love him. I was beginning to wonder if he would ever put that poor tomato out of its misery. I'll be thinking nothing but good thoughts for you and your boy.

Oh Lucy, what Carol said. :grouphug (I thought for sure your nice rugs were going to be toast from that tomato!)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Lucy, I hate to say this, but, I would do the xrays anyway. One of the first iggies that I ever iGURed had one of her legs amputated a few months ago due to OS :( While it's not nearly as common in IGs as in greys, it does still occur, unfortunately.

Hugs to you and Jabari...I hope that you can figure something out.

And you're not being overly sensitive and crazy...all of this stuff, even for an "old" dog, is not what I would call normal.

Have you noticed too that it feels kind of "weird" to have a sick iggy as opposed to a sick grey? Sage was sick a few weeks ago and there was just something different about it. He had HGE, and I have had greys that have had that, but somehow it was just different dealing with it with Sage... :dunno

Adding...Lauren (Gracegirl) just got a diagnosis of renal issues with Fenway - have you done an ultrasound of Jabari's kidneys? That's how Fenny was diagnosed...his bloodwork and stuff was good, but, he wasn't concentrating his urine. All of his other UA numbers were normal, I think. Only real symptom was a lot of peeing.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Oh nooooo :( I know TONS of iggies & volunteer a bit with IG Rescue & have never heard of an IG with osteo. I also googled a bunch & nothing came up. My vet didn't think it was a possibility either. Crap.

He did have an u-s & everything looked ok w his kidneys. They thought it still could be a kidney infection but none of the abx helped.

Thanks for the info, Kristin, and for the good thoughts everyone.

Lucy, I hate to say this, but, I would do the xrays anyway. One of the first iggies that I ever iGURed had one of her legs amputated a few months ago due to OS :( While it's not nearly as common in IGs as in greys, it does still occur, unfortunately.

Hugs to you and Jabari...I hope that you can figure something out.

And you're not being overly sensitive and crazy...all of this stuff, even for an "old" dog, is not what I would call normal.

Have you noticed too that it feels kind of "weird" to have a sick iggy as opposed to a sick grey? Sage was sick a few weeks ago and there was just something different about it. He had HGE, and I have had greys that have had that, but somehow it was just different dealing with it with Sage... :dunno

Adding...Lauren (Gracegirl) just got a diagnosis of renal issues with Fenway - have you done an ultrasound of Jabari's kidneys? That's how Fenny was diagnosed...his bloodwork and stuff was good, but, he wasn't concentrating his urine. All of his other UA numbers were normal, I think. Only real symptom was a lot of peeing.

I am so sorry you still don't have an answer! You know your dog best, and if you think something is not right, don't dismiss it! Since Jabari is older (although I think Iggies live longer than greys?) could it be something as "simple" as arthritis? I would get an x-ray also, just to see. :bighug

Poor little man :( If you're not happy with the answers you've gotten so far, keep pushing. Hopefully you'll be able to come up with the cause of his issues soon!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Echoing that YOU know him best. Especially if he shuts down in fear at the vet's. Any way they can come to the house, or some neutral place, for an exam? Or just an observation?

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I'm sorry, Lucy...didn't mean to be a downer...I'd just hate for you to forego the xray for that reason, and then have it turn out to be something that maybe you could do something about, if you had known.

Do you have an acupuncturist anywhere close? Maybe that will help with his neck/shoulder. Maybe ask about a muscle relaxant? When Sutra had issues he took robaxin and saw the chiropractor.

Hugs :grouphug

Well to add insult to injury or injury to insult or whatever, Jabari was bitten by an off leash dog yesterday EXACTLY where he seemed to already be in pain. It was a chihuahua-sized dog, thankfully. There were 3 of them and Puzz and Legs were happy to just walk in the other direction, but of course Jabari thinks he is so tough and started barking/lunging at them so one bit him. He FREAKED out and screamed so loud I thought for sure his leg was broken. 3 people came outside since he was making so much noise and they got the loose dogs away and I ran home carrying him, sure it was an emergency. But once we got home he seemed ok, he was just very shaken up and sore. There is a small bruised area but no puncture that I can see, so I am keeping an eye on it but I think he'll be fine. As if I wasn't already worried enough about him!!!! :heart

Oh for pete's sake! Poor little guy. :( Do you have arnica handy? It's so good for bruising and sore muscles. The little pills are probably the easiest to give, and they're kind of sweet, so he'll lick them right up, I'm sure.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.