Bandit

My boy Bandit came to us one year ago and is now 13. We've struggled with his teeth and he really needs to get a dental. I am so afraid of this because our last senior to get a dental at 12 had a stroke as soon as we got home and he died an hour later.

Bandit has had a lump come up on his right front leg just above the wrist, suddenly, 3 weeks ago. He is not fussing with it or limping from it. I think I know what "it" is.

When I had Little Dude the iggy at the vet's recently I told my vet about this. He said bring him in and let me listen to his chest. We go in tomorrow and may get pre-anesthesia bloodwork done too. A dental and xrays can not be done tomorrow, consult only.

Bandit does not like car rides and will be anxious at the vet office. At least at the hour of his appt there shouldn't be too many other folks/dogs there.

But Bandit also has an old broken hock injury on his right rear leg. He walks like he's about to keel over yet he still loves to run (and it looks painless).

My dilemna:

13 year old dog undergoing anesthesia for his leg lump and probable chest xray.

If the chest is clear, go ahead with the dental....or....if the leg has osteo proceed with the dental or not?

How many months of a good life would he have if it is osteo, and wouldn't he be happier/healthier with a cleaned mouth/extractions?

Bandit is not a candidate for amputation because of the old broken hock and weak hind end. We will opt for pain control only. This boy had a difficult life before coming here and deserves a comfortable send-off.

On top of it is that my husband has been sick for 6 months with a bad blood disorder and now a blood clot. He is still able to go to work and is one tough retired Marine but it adds to our stress in worrying about Bandit.

Friday at 2:30 Bandit will see Dr Martin. Some of you may remember that name as I posted his hunky picture when he took care of Gracie.

Think good thoughts for my boy.

082.jpg

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No advice, just the toughest good thoughts for your Marine, your Bandit, and You.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Oh Ducky, I'm so sorry this is all hitting at once. It's hard to try and give someone advice in this situation. I know what I would probably do but what I would do isn't what everyone else would do. You've got all the prayers I can muster going with you tomorrow.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Reading these posts makes me so sad. All the best for Bandit tomorrow. You are a special boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Many hugs to you, Bandit and your Marine.

My thoughts - and of course from the perspective of Bandit not being mine, my heartstrings not being tugged at, etc - I think if it were me and the lump is osteo I would opt for no dental and yes to pain management. Only you have the perspective of the difference between pre & post dental - Bandit doesn't. I would save the funds, the worry and the stress on him and forgo the dental. Also, that is based on my understanding that opting for pain management only if it is osteo means a few more months of care, not years.

:grouphug

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhh Ducky, it's just never easy. You have my Prayers and Hugs for your Husband and Bandit and of course you (Caregiver).Please don't think of the worst yet. Your hunky Vet will guide you through and we are here for you to.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Edited by IrskasMom

I don't have much advice but I do want to say that a lump can be many different things besides "it". So don't stress...it may be nothing. Especially if it isn't bothering him. Also, Koda just had a chest x-ray (side shot and one with her on her back) and they did not sedate her. I was holding her head neck steady while the vet and vet tech had her front and back end. She fought a bit and HATED it but it was doable without sedation. So with that being said, he shouldn't have to go under to have his leg looked at and chest x-rayed. Unless they want to biopsy or something but at the same time....can't they do a localized freezing in the leg? I would request that over anesthetic at this stage...but that is just my opinion.

As far as teeth....I guess tackle that after you have everything else looked at. Koda is 9.5 and has HORRID teeth...to the point that every single one of them need to be yanked at this point. However, at the same time, we discovered she is in renal failure and congestive heart failure so her teeth are the least of our concerns and are no longer considering getting them done. Just wait until you have all of your facts in front of you and go from there.

Hope the lump turns out to be nothing and that all goes well with the tests... :goodluck

Ducky, I'm so sorry. Both to hear about sweet Bandit and also your husband. Hugs all round. :bighug

In the end you must decide with your vet what the best thing is to do, if the lump turns out to be 'it'. You've already decided not to amputate, for good reason, but if he's under GA for the x-rays and maybe a biopsy, I'd probably let them do the dental - especially if it's mostly cleaning and not too much trauma in the way of extractions. If it's 'it', you probably won't have another chance, and you're right, having a clean mouth will contribute to his general well-being.

Nobody can tell you how many months he'd have. You simply have to make the best decision you can with the facts you have at the time. It's all anyone can do. Let your vet help you decide, and then don't stress about whether you did the right thing. Bandit was very lucky to end up with you and have you so determined to do your very best for him right to the end.

And you have your Marine to think of too. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest TBSFlame

When Beecher had x-rays they just gave him something to make his sleepy and drunk. He didn't care what they were doing to him.

Ducky, I'm sorry to hear that Bandit might have a lump. I know how scary that is.

Edited by TBSFlame

Guest Energy11

Sending you all the LOVE and PRAYERS we can!

If Bandit were MY dog, and I found OS, no, I wouldn't do the dental. I'd opt for plenty of love and pain control. Max, whom we, too, adopted as a senior, did have OS and a bad mouth. He had three VERY good months with us, after his OS diagnosis, AND was able to get up here with us too!

CALL if you need me! Love, DEE

It helps to read what you all have posted. Still trying to sort things out and from what you posted maybe there are options I haven't thought of.

Although I have given this vet clinic's 2 offices both copies of Care of the Retired and Racing Greyhound and notebooks with Dr Stack's, Dr Couto's and Dr Dodd's reference information, will have to remind them about greyhounds. They'll listen.

For Bandit's age I would only want anesthesia this one time. I strongly doubt I'd be able to talk the vet into xrays without general anesthesia but will ask him about "just something to make him really relax" rather than be totally under. Anyone know what meds might work for that?

Until reading your replies I hadn't thought about limiting the dental to a cleaning and no extractions. I'll ask about that too if we go that way.

Or maybe we'd do some turkey neck therapy to clean up that mouth. :dunno

There's the guilt involved in wanting the best of care, and the reality of how much is too much to put him through if his time is short.

Poor Bandit had another visit from the Turd Fairy last night. It had been a while since he'd pooped in his sleep. Odd that this is certainly something I'll miss when he's gone.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

It helps to read what you all have posted. Still trying to sort things out and from what you posted maybe there are options I haven't thought of.

Although I have given this vet clinic's 2 offices both copies of Care of the Retired and Racing Greyhound and notebooks with Dr Stack's, Dr Couto's and Dr Dodd's reference information, will have to remind them about greyhounds. They'll listen.

For Bandit's age I would only want anesthesia this one time. I strongly doubt I'd be able to talk the vet into xrays without general anesthesia but will ask him about "just something to make him really relax" rather than be totally under. Anyone know what meds might work for that?

Until reading your replies I hadn't thought about limiting the dental to a cleaning and no extractions. I'll ask about that too if we go that way.

Or maybe we'd do some turkey neck therapy to clean up that mouth. :dunno

There's the guilt involved in wanting the best of care, and the reality of how much is too much to put him through if his time is short.

Poor Bandit had another visit from the Turd Fairy last night. It had been a while since he'd pooped in his sleep. Odd that this is certainly something I'll miss when he's gone.

There are LOTS of good products out there for keeping the teeth as healthy as possible. Also, Dr. Beau used to recommend, "zapping" a "bad" mouth about once every six weeks, with Amoxicillin, to keep it as healthy and clean as possible, if a dental was not being done. There are also lots of good things to treat the mouth out there, including my new favorite, Biotene Gel and Petzlife Gel and Spray. I have used all of these on Staggerlee, 10.5, and Oakly, 8.5, whose teeth aren't great by any means!

Dr. Beau recommends Valium and Ketamine for light sedation, NEVER ACE. There is also Domitor, which is directly reversed by Antesedan. Something to ask about, as well. I have seen MANY senior greys do VERY WELL with the Domitor and Antesedan.

Again, let me know if you need anything, and, YES, these vets ALL HAVE TO BE REMINDED about Greyhounds and their sedation! I HATE that! Mine here is STILL learning, and because is in my age bracket, and has "been there, done that ..." it is HARD to "teach" her "new tricks! " :-(

Edited by Energy11

Drives me nuts when vets automatically sedate for x-rays but nothing you can do about that. I'd suggest maybe a small dose of Valium.

Whether and what to do about the teeth depends. If he does have osteo and it's well advanced, I'd do only as much as needed to keep him comfortable, which might be nothing, might be some antibiotics, etc. If he doesn't have osteo, harder question. You don't want him to die of an infection caused by nasty teeth or to be in pain from them, but it is hard on a dog to go under, too.

Sending lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.