Callie Broke Her Leg - Update Post 220

Yes Jane, thank YOU, this is a greyt help! I am going to print off and take with me to the vet tomorrow.

I already knew about the Amicar (thank you Leann!), but the rest is so valuable too. I am giving Callie 1 and 1/2 Tramadol every 4 hours and trying to keep her home until out 1pm appointment tomorrow. If she is too restless or the pain becomes unbearable, I can take her there anytime for some stronger pain meds. I'm going to run to our vet tonight before they close to pick up Callie's x-rays, although I think they will do more. Our vet had been holding Callie's blood before sending to the lab, but after talking to the specialty hospital, they said to send it and get a head start and she'll fax the results tomorrow morning.

Our vet also went over you #1 regarding if Callie is a good candidate for amputation - will she be able to support herself. She had a little back leg weakness so that concerns me greatly.

I know this hospital we are taking her to has worked with OSU with other greyhounds they have done, so that's comforting.

Thank you again for the all this information, it's going to help us greatly tomorrow to have everything laid out and know what to ask, etc...

kim

p.s. I'm so very sorry to hear about Joe. I hope he is doing well.

I am so sorry to hear this. My boy Joe had his front leg amputated on July 28 at OSU. This is what I've learned in regards to what OSU recommends.

1) Before amputation, a complete orthopedic examination should be given. X-rays should be taken of the legs and possibly the back. An examination for lumbar stenosis should be done. Mild arthritis and mild lumbar stenosis are acceptable. Severe problems with the legs and back might cause the dog not to be a good candidate for amputation. If the dog is currently walking on just three legs, it is very likely they will do well after amputation, despite findings of mild arthritis or back issues.

2) Before amputation, a chest x-ray should be done. Visible metastases in the lungs do not cause a dog not to be a candidate for amputation but it should be understood that the expected life span will be shorter. Amputation in this case is done to relieve pain. There has been some promising results in the treatment of lung mets with the drug Palladia, combined with Cytoxan and artemisinine. In the past, amputation on a dog with lung mets was very rarely done. Now Dr. Couto will do amputation in a dog with lung mets in rare, selected cases.

3) Before amputation, do complete blood work. Pay special attention to clotting factors.

4) During amputation, carefully monitor the dogs temperature. Some greyhounds develop hyperthermia. I believe it is common practice now, but the surgeon should lower the dogs temperature during surgery.

5) I believe, but am not positive, that OSU starts IV aminocaproic acid (Amicar) during surgery.

6) The surgery should only be done at a hospital that has a vet physically present 24/7 in an ICU environment. A greyhound should stay in the hospital with constant monitoring for 3 to 5 days. Care should be taken to monitor excessive bleeding. The majority of the deaths in the 5 days following surgery occur when the dog in a hospital that does not provide 24 hour ICU care.

7) Aminocaproic Acid (Amicar) should be administered for at least 5 days after surgery. Greyhounds do not form strong clots (even though there clotting factors appear normal in blood tests). Bleeding severe enough to cause death can occur as long as 5 days post surgery and seem to peak at 2 to 3 days post surgery. Administering Amicar drastically reduces the chance of severe bleeding. This is not a drug that is often kept on hand at many vets offices, so they should plan in advance and procure it prior to surgery if at all possible.

8) Greyhounds tend to get more nervous and stressed than other breeds of dogs. OSU has found that keeping them "doped up" on a combination of fentanyl, lidocaine, and ketamine via IV is helpful. This often continues for 2 to 3 days with the dog being weaned off the IV meds. By the time the dog is ready to come home, they have been on an oral pain control program (typically Deramaxx and tramadol) long enough to ensure that it is effective.

9) OSU gets the dogs up to urinate the day of the surgery. They put the dog on a cart and take them outside. Then 2 or 3 people lift the dog (with the aid of a sling) and encourage it to urinate. This is done regularly, whether or not they actually pee. They feel this is an important way of teaching the dog how to live with three legs as well as providing physical therapy to improve blood circulation. The dog is typically able to walk some the day after surgery and this is actively encouraged. By the 3rd day, most dogs are able to walk on their own for several hundred feet.

I hope this info helps you.

Jane

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kim,

First, I am so sorry you and Callie are going through this. Jane provided a great list and I agree, all must be done.

You will want to also look into some of the more obvious things such as:

- slippery floors -> we purchased a bunch of area rugs for our Charlie who is a tripod also (rear leg July '10)

- stairs -> we live in a one story house but if you have stairs, it will take a bit of time for Callie to get used to them again. I built a berm for Charlie off our deck so he doesn't have to use the stairs

- ramp for car -> we picked one up for our truck. We do not need it for our Mazda and the alternative is lifting Callie up if she is light enough

- sling or harness -> we were loaned a harness from a fellow GT'er and it was gold for us to help Charlie out the first few days home

- get some rest -> you will need it as the first few days after release will be stressful and can be sleep deprived depending on Callie's response. I took off one week and worked from home the second week and both DW and I were there for Charlie which helped a great deal

- pain control -> obtain the details of how much you can give Callie to ensure she is comfortable

- tramadol -> will likely make Callie pant and restless, don't panic

- wound site -> it will be a little disturbing at first but heals quickly. We were more disturbed by Charlie's state of mind because he was so drugged up and wasn't his normal self when we first saw him but that changed quickly when he got home

- cold compress -> we used a frozen bag of peas and it seemed to help Charlie a lot

- chemo -> the drugs are Carboplatin or Doxyrubicin, the latter OSU uses however both work. We stressed over which to give but in the end, I don't think it really matters so try not to get stressed out over it like we did. We went with Doxyrubicin

-

I know there are some things I am forgetting. Please ask if you have any questions or concerns. Good luck and you will find she will come through this well, it's shocking how they recover.

-

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

No advice, just :goodluck.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest VelvetEars

Saw your post to the RR list. I'm so sorry to hear this. Our greatest nightmare..... Let me know if you need anything, even if it's just to talk/cry. I'll be around all weekend and I'm kid-free this weekend, so very loosey-goosey on schedule.

I just thought of one other thing. Believe it or not, Callie may be feeling so good by day 4-5 that she may try to do things she can't do.

Diamond was trying to go down 6 stairs (even though I had her ramp up) by herself and decided to jump instead. I had just caught up to her when she took that flying leap. (I have a dog door and rushed out when I realized it was her that went thru). She landed in a heap. She was very very lucky, she didn't hurt herself. (I was very very luckY!)

So, their mind is saying "I'm feeling better" but the body hasn't adjusted to just three legs yet.

Actually, I like this kind of warning. That they feel that good.

You have all my prayers, and there are a lot of GTers that have been where you are now.

Many prayers.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

All in all Callie had a good night, considering. Twice she had gotten off the couch by herself. The first time when we tried to put her back on, she peed a lot while standing there (vet said she gave her a lot of fluids). The second time she was kind of heading toward the front door, so we ran and got our coats and put her right outside the door, but nothing.

Sammie keeps coming around Callie and sniffing (being gentle, but annoying) so Callie is showing her teeth at her. Pixie seems confused of what is going on with her sister, but was obviously happy she was back home.

I had given her 1.5 tablets of Tramadol around 930pm and was going to give her another 1.5 at 130am and hope she slept through the night. Around 1230am I heard commotion in the hallway, Callie had gotten off the couch and was headed to our bedroom to get on her bed. :blush It was nice to have her in there for the night. Callie was sleeping so good that I skipped the 130am Tramadol.

Around 450am, Callie woke us up trying to get up. We let the other two outside to go potty. She got up by herself and walked over on Pixie's bed and peed up a storm. ;) We were glad, but I'm kind of concerned that she hasn't pooped yet.

We got Callie situated on her bed again, gave her another 1.5 of Tramadol, got Pixie's bed squared away and all went back to sleep.

Now Callie is somewhat hanging off her bed, with her head on the hardwood floor. I asked Herman to help me move her back up on her bed, but she let this hoarse cry and I don't think I had even touched her yet. Maybe she was anticipating the pain and trying to brace herself. I just can't stand seeing her in this much pain. :weep I put a pillow under her head and we'll just leave her where she is

since we have to leave for the vet around 1215pm.

Our vet called around 730am to ask about Callie... she was pleased to hear that she got herself up off the couch and her bed. Yesterday she was worried she had hit her head when/if she fell because she was kind of stiff, like her back legs weren't working, that maybe there was something neurological going on. I didn't think that, just thought she was so afraid, in so much pain and stressed that she was shutting down.

I don't know what I would do without Herman! He's able to pick her up and carry her (although his back is sore this morning)... I could probably pick her up in a pinch, but I think I would hurt her more.

I offered Callie a bit of can cat food yesterday (she steals it all the time!), but she wasn't interested. I had a can of white meat chicken and she did lick and and nibble a small bit, but then turned her head. She wouldn't drink water, but I found this big syringe we had from Kony and filled it was cool water. She did seem to enjoy that, since her mouth seems so dry.

I am anxious to get to this new vet and very nervous. I hope Callie is a good candidate for surgery.

Oh forgot, when the vet called this morning she had got the results from Callie's bloodwork (after talking the the surgery hospital, they told her to send it last night so we could get a jumpstart of that today). She said it is actually pretty good, just shows she was a little dehydrated. I ran last night about 750pm and picked up Callie's x-rays (although I think they will take more), at least they can kind of see right away what's going on.

Thank you all for all the prayers and well wishes... I took off work again today and if Callie has the surgery, I think I'll go in on Thursday and Friday. We have a 3 day weekend and then maybe I will ask off for next week anticipating Callie's return home. I don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched though.

Will let you know how this all goes...

xoxo

Kim, Herman & Callie

p.s. Thank you Meredith for the offer!

post-7876-0-39696300-1294851616_thumb.jpg

post-7876-0-60665000-1294851785_thumb.jpg

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Wishing for the best for your girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.