Sardines

RobinM

RE SARDINES: I know raw is best and we will try that when we get to the marke that sells it but in the meantime, when we buy the sardines in the can, should it be in oil or water. I figure the oil is probably good but packs on many more calories.

What's the verdict?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mcsheltie

No right or wrong to this one. Additional Omega 3 in the oil are always good for them. And so are tomatoes. There are new findings that cooked tomatoes help fight cancer in dogs. I am just back from a nutrition seminar and learned about several new studies that can help PREVENT cancer. I will post this information as soon as I get my notes organized. Quite a bit of it was applicable to GHs.

If I was going to feed a large amount I would be more apt to choose by the sodium content. Compare to canned salmon and jack mackerel.

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest Swifthounds

I stay away from the oil (usually a plant based oil, so high in Omega 6s and primed to promote tissue/joint inflammation), and mustard, and tomato (not because of the nightshade issue, but because of some of the seasonings in it), and stick to the water/spring water, which I drain anyway.

Guest DebSzal

My pack loves the sardines packed in hot sauce! I also feed the ones in tomato and mustard sauce. I usually only give a small amount as extras on their food. One can is split with the four dogs, but they go wild when they see that can opening.

NOT in oil, unless you can find them packed in sardine oil (rare and expensive). Most sardines in oil are packed in soybean oil, which is terrible (for humans too!), very high in Omega 6 which they, and we, get way too much of as it is. I used to get the tomato sauce until I noticed that that has soybean oil in it too. I guess you could get sardines in olive oil -- that's what I eat myself for taste, but they're quite expensive. (I'm eating them with balsamic vinegar over salad greens, Beth isn't!)

Now I mostly use jack mackerel, which I bought a case of on Amazon as I couldn't find it locally. Seems like more bang for your buck and also very very high in Omega 3, and canned in water.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I stay away from the oil (usually a plant based oil, so high in Omega 6s and primed to promote tissue/joint inflammation), and mustard, and tomato (not because of the nightshade issue, but because of some of the seasonings in it), and stick to the water/spring water, which I drain anyway.

Agreed with Jennifer here.

Also with the tomato based ones. I can tell you that in racing kennels tomato based products (tomato juice, V8, puree and things of the sort) are given to the hounds to help "draw them up"

I don't know the exact ins and outs of it all but something along the lines of a PH balance. Cuts the fat levels or some such. Now this could be an old wives tale but just passing along the info I have heard in the kennel biz for years.

I would think as long as it's given in smaller amounts and not daily it should be fine. If handing it out daily in their food I would chose to go the more natural route of packed in water.

Mine like the ones in tomato sauce the best of all times 10.

So did mine.

I gave mine the ones packed in oil. They didn't get them that often to have to worry about weight gain or soybean oil. I would take one little can, mix it with green beans or carrots or peas, and then mix about 2 T in with their kibble (per dog). It lasted for about three feedings.

Edited by greyhoundlov

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Mine like the ones in tomato sauce the best of all times 10.

So did mine.

I gave mine the ones packed in oil. They didn't get them that often to have to worry about weight gain.

Here one tin is usually split between 3-5 dogs. Can't really see how there would be enough tomato and/or soy in the sauce of a bit of a can to make a differece in any dogs health.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

my dogs LOVE sardines, since i refuse to use canned dog food(it's a thing i've had for many many years), i split a can up and mash it in. irresitable to the most finicky pup. it's such a small amount of oil that i doubt it really matters, i do buy whole not boned sardines and stock up when they are on sale.

i personally like them on toast w/ mustard!

Guest Swifthounds

I'm eager to see what info Julie picked up. It seems every time I come across support for a food substance to help in an area of concern for greys (esp cancer) it turns out that the dogs they studied were almost all kibble fed. I'd like to see more studies done with different feeding styles, now that there are significant numbers of dogs being fed in other ways - would help us track what it is the items are counteracting, cancer cells or the ill effects of grains and fillers. Ok, hijack over.

I heard that about tomato as well. I might have less concern over sauces if I fed like it sounds most people do - very small amounts. My hounds love sardines, mackerel, and salmon fresh or canned and the omegas are good for them, so we do fish meals on a regular basis, for the health/variety and because they love it.

Wendy loves sardines! I found ones that are packed in spring water and have no salt added. 4 tins for $5.00. Not a bad deal. She loves Jack Mackeral, too, although I don't feed it as often as the sardines because of the salt content.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I usually keep a can of mackerel on hand in the pantry for emergency meals (though a couple of eggs and chicken feet are my first choice before the canned fish). Which is to say I don't feed them very often - maybe a couple of times per year? I pull the fish out of the sauce so they don't really get much of it, but I usually get the oil ones. I'm not going to worry about it much since it's such a rare addition to their diet but if I were feeding them frequently I would consider the above points.

I feed the ones in tomato sauce, but I don't give them the "extra" sauce, just whatever clings to the fish, and I split the can between three dogs, so I don't think they are getting enough to hurt them. Even Fletcher, who is sensitive to just about anything plant based, can tolerate that much. I aim for a can a week, added to regular meals. None of them like raw fish, and Fletcher doesn't tolerate any kind of fish oil, so this is about my only option.

Guest Nuthatch

I used to give tuna in oil, as a more experienced grey owner from dog training told me to do this to stop the scuff.

However in one week the vet told us to drop a couple of kilos off the dog and I heard a food program about omega 3, 6 & 9 which I didn’t really know about and it shocked me. The dog now gets tuna in spring water and I have cut the majority of oil out of my cooking.

I must admit I do constantly wonder why the dogs have a far, far, far better diet than me! In control of the dogs but not myself.

My dogs have always had sardines now and then. Maybe once a week I'll feed either sardines, mackerel or pilchards (adult sardines, in the UK). They'll either be packed in olive oil (which is definitely considered 'heart healthy') or the pilchards will be in tomato which Sid looooves! If I can only get them in water for some reason, that's okay (though not as good, IMHO), but I never feed them in brine. Far, far too salty. ;)

I don't mind feeding a can of fish in sunflower oil now and then, but not as a regular choice.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I've only ever done the sardines packed in water just because I wasn't sure about the others...so many choices (who knew?). I add them in about once a week and my five love them ...especially picky Lizzie. I use one tin to mix in and all five are happy.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

DH brought home several cans of on sale sardines. In water, no salt added. Ollie, Teddy (raw fed) AND Chloe (kibble fed) LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it!!! Finished the can in a nano second.

I'm wondering since it is a white fish, maybe Beau can try it. :huh

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Doesn't matter to me.

George doesn't have a weight issue; the few calories the oil add are insignficant as far as I'm concerned. He's an active dog, not a Victoria's Secret model!

He loves them in oil, water, or tomato sauce!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck