Get Em Is Out Of Surgery For The 2Nd Time In 16 Days

Guest goofydog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toni, looking forward to the post that says your boy is home. Have to say the idea of a matching collar and eye patch made me smile - good on you for being strong for him even when this latest surgery on top of the last one has been such a worry.

Arlie whispered to me that the rugged pirate look has more than a little appeal ... inlove.gif

I am just seeing this.

Feel better soon, sweet baby.

Sending prayers and hugs to Get Em and to you, Toni.

:grouphug:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest goofydog

How is Get Em feeling today?

I just talked to the clinic and he had a good night(I bet he was dreaming of his Arlie :rolleyes: .) The vet wants to keep him for a while longer since he is pawing at the eye. Well, DOH! What did you think he'd do? Dr. Correy is trying to figure out how to limit that particular activity. I'm supposed to pick him up at 4PM unless they call me earlier. So I wait some more........

Hope Get Em's recovering nicely.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

An e collar will help. SieSie had to wear one for weeks when she had a bad ulcer and the Dane I mentioned to you that had her eye removed wore one too. Somewhere I have one that you can attach to the collar so it won't come off. Also, you can alter ones you buy from the vet or Petco/Petsmart with a hole punch.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Glad to hear he's recovering nicely. It amazed me when Emmy lost her sight how she was able to adjust as well as she did in such a short time. I'm sure he will do great. Can't wait to see pictures of him with his matching collar/eye patch combo!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

So glad Get Em is doing well - agree he'll likely need an e-collar - my old foxhound wore one following removal of some big nasty seed thing from the back of one eye. We attached it to his collar as Diane mentioned, to keep it on - also more comfortable for the dog I would imagine.

Oohhh! ohmy.gif Just seeing this. Give that boy a bucket of kisses and scritches! He has really had it lately, huh? Here's to better days ahead. kiss1.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

It's nice to see him home. You heal quickly Get Em, your mom's been awfully worried about you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Toni, does he usually eat from a raised feeder? Or from a feeder on the floor?

For now, at least, a raised feeder--or at least an elevated serving bowl--might be a good idea. I'm thinking of the uncomfortable feeling he might get around his eye when his head is lower than his heart.

I'm presently suffering from sinus problems, and if I bend over too far my sinuses smack--plop!--up against the front of my skull and just sit there and throb. Not pleasant. That prompted this thought about Get Em. (Meanwhile, I stoop down to pick up after the dogs--my poor knees!, but I don't bend over.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Get Em's eye ... but it sounds like surgery went well, so I hope he'll be feeling better soon!

My vet mentioned that some of the meds that Riley was on (especially after surgery) cause lots of panting, so that's probably to be expected. Eating the burpdog biskies, is a great sign that he's doing better, though -- yippee!!

Prayers coming your way that all of the bad stuff is behind you now and that healing will be swift & uneventful!

"He hasn't eaten in 48 hours and turned down kibble and rice. What did he eat, you might ask? Two Burp biscuits"

That boy has been to too many Sandy Paws packing parties Hope he starts eating for you soon Toni. Are you allowed to offer him roasted chicken or turkey? Those have been my best bets in the past (along with rice cooked in low sodium broth).Gentle kisses to Get Em from all the girls here, including me.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Some guys don't care for or do well with rice. Pasta or potatoes could be an alternative for a filler with boiled/drained hamburger, turkey or chicken - just make sure it's low fat because the last thing that sweet boy needs is pancreatitis. Hope he feels better soon! Kisses and scritches from FL!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Poor guy. I hope his appetite is returning.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

oh geez, your poor boy!!! glad he's home and I hope he starts eating better for you! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway