Get Em Is Out Of Surgery For The 2Nd Time In 16 Days

Guest goofydog

Guest goofydog

Well, we're home. He is panting heavily and doesn't seem to be able to settle which is probably pain related. He has had his Previcox and amoxicillan and I tossed a pepcid in for good measure. He's not interested in food, just water and lots of it. Can't have it of course but that doesn't stop him from wanting it! I cooked some white rice and will offer it in a little while. Poor guy hasn't eaten in 48 hours :(

SN850491.jpg

SN850492.jpg

E collar removed so his vanity doesn't suffer too much. Not exactly glamour shots :lol

He had some heavy bleeding from the socket so they had to do the pressure bandage. It will be checked again tomorrow and probably removed on Tuesday.

On a brighter note there was a box of Burpdog biskie crack at the door when we got home :colgate Thank you Aunties Diane and Mary. I'm sure they will make recovery much more pleasant for him.

Your prayers are working and we appreciate them very much.

Toni & Get Em

We're not sure if the prior surgery caused his toxoplasmosis to go into overdrive or if there was an opportunistic infection, but something triggered the destruction of his left eye. What had been a somewhat stable eye went from some weeping to total drainage and pain. I had him at the ophthalmologist Tuesday AM and she said the eye must come out ASAP. Under local anesthetic she found a small ulceration on the cornea and a hole in the cornea. The orb was so opaque she couldn't see through it :(

She could have done it on Wednesday but was also comfortable with his regular vet doing the procedure. I checked with them and they had a spot for him today so I dropped him off this morning. The office just called and he is waking up and there were no complications. He will stay the night and I will pick him up tomorrow around lunch time and spend the weekend making sure he is comfortable and has lots of lovins' and treats. Please keep him in your thoughts as he recovers from yet another surgery.

Toni

Edited by goofydog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Toni! I'm so sorry. Good healing thoughts for sweet Get Em. I'll bet you can't wait to get him home.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Geez, poor boy. Hugs for you. Sending good thoughts and prayers for Get Em.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest KennelMom

Awwwww :( Sending get well hugs to Get Em. We will probably have to have one (or both) of Hanna's eyes removed at some point. Not looking forward to it...

Guest TeddysMom

Sending good thoughts and prayers for an uneventful healing for Get Em. Hoping for Mom to be able to relax a little, it is so stressful when our babies have to go through these things.

oh, geez!!!! :( :( :( :(

sending healing hugs to Get Em!!! :grouphug:hope:grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sending healing thoughts and lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest goofydog

Thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes. I just called the vet to see how he was and the tech said he is progressing nicely. If he wasn't so drugged up they think he would be quite perky! I'm to call at 9AM to speak with the doc and see when he can come home. I'm leaving work at lunch so will be able to grab him on a moments notice.

I feel he will do fine with only 1 eye. The eye that was removed had the more advanced disease process and he had been bumping his head less and less anyway. He has been more aware of his positioning in small spaces so I think he was adjusting to the reduced vision. I just hate that he had to loose what little vision was left this way. Medically his right eye vision has been decreased but stable for the last 1.5 years and hopefully will continue that way with the eye drops. Eventually he will progress to only seeing shades and shapes but my fingers are crossed that is many years from now.

Now I need to start contacting collar makers to see if they can make eye patches in the same fabric as his favorite collars!

Toni

Toni, I am so sorry I am just now seeing this.... :grouphug Bless his heart, Sending many prayers for a quick recovery!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Good heavens! Poor Get Em--and poor you, too!

Hope he continues to do well.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)