Red Is Not Feeling Well.

I got back from the vet about 45 minutes ago, left my boy there. He was fine at 6am when we got up so he could have him morning constitutional, down and up the three stairs fine. Then we napped until 7ish (to give me the delusion of having slept in on my day off) when he woke me, he was panting heavily and very wobbly on the back end. It was not a seizure, not the post-ictal effects of a sz.

I wrapped my arms around him and lifted him up to the bed (btw he now weighs 75lbs, down from 86 last year). he settled down and draped his head over my legs.

fifteen minutes later time to really get up. he got off the bed okay but the back end was not tracking with the front, it was veering off to the sides, all wobbly.

He wanted nothing to do with going out, instead retired to his settee to wait for breakfast. i watched ready to help as he climbed up onto the settee, he lifted each back legs, but then flopped down instead of snuggling into the corner.

I had to call him for breakfast, normally he is by my side, 'helping' he oozed off the settee and followed Lottie and I out to the sunroom.

When his bowl went down he didn't he sniff, he glanced then turned, very wobbly and headed tottered to the loveseat out there.

That was it, he refused food. Red, who never, ever refused food. Off to the e-vet.

they are doing blood work, and checking him over, he was not a happy camper, but being his good self for them. Only gave the Vet a dirty look when he took his temp. On physical exam he did show tenderness in his hips, so they will x-ray them and his abdomen. They will be calling soon, hopefully. sigh, danm allergies.

Update: noon - they tried to do x-rays around 11, but he had a bit of a panicked reation to being on the table, heart rate increas, gums paled. They gave him his PB and some diazepam. The this afternnon got him back for another try.

Update: 1:30 - abdominal x-ray cloudy due to fluid in his abdomen, but looks like a mass on/in his spleen, they tested the fluid and it is red.

they are going to do somne chest x-rays and an ultrasound.

Update: a couple of masses on his spleen and liver too. lungs fine. BTW he is 11yrs old. ]]

etA; big question now is wether to euthinize him there or bring him home and have our traveling vet do it, if she is available. If we do i there I will bring a bed and a blanket and probably lottie too.

Fianl update - he is gone. Our fav vet came in and did the deed, he'd been monitoring Red as he was in surgery most the day, but out when we got there. The E-vet stopped by too, the vet he often saw stopped, as did the oncologist who treated Sprite, but never Red.

Red settled with us in the room quickly, Lottie was even there, so he knew we all cared and loved him. He knew it was time and he was ready. Da**it, I wasn't I wanted at least 4 more years of his cold wet nose waking me at 5am.

Edited by GreyWrangler

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug I'm taking Bandit in today too for some changes in him. Hope your Red is OK.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry to see your latest update. Sending gentlest hugs for all of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you, Lottie, and Red.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)