Merlin's Test Results

I thought I'd post an update on Merlin.

As we drove home from work last night, DH told me that he had been close to tears all afternoon, because he'd read all sorts of things online and had gotten it into his head that the growth on Merlin's side was hemangiosarcoma, and was just one big knot of worry (this is the guy who thought I was "ridiculous" to worry about Merlin's surgery last week :rolleyes:)

Well, we heard back from my vet about an hour later. I put her on speakerphone, because DH wanted to listen in too. She told us that the growth in Merlin's mouth was definitely an epulis, and everything is okay on that front. :yay

I wasn't prepared for what came next, though. The lab called my vet to say that only ONE tissue had been sent to them. Basically, the vet said she doesn't know how it happened, but the growth tissue on Merlin's side -- the one we were most worried about -- was not sent to the lab because it was somehow.... lost. :unsure:eek:ohno I didn't know what to say. The vet apologized, and said that she wasn't too worried about that growth, so she is going to have a look at Merlin when we go have his stitches taken out on Monday. She said that if a growth comes back, we should make an appointment right away, and she will remove it with larger margins.

I was upset after the phone call. I do accept her apology, and we all make mistakes, and anyway for all I know it might have been a vet tech mistake, and not hers, that led to the tissue not being sent to the lab. But I am rather bewildered... now I don't know what that THING was, and I don't know how I am supposed to feel. Relieved that it's not there anymore? Worried that it will come back? If I knew it was benign at least I could have put the issue to bed, but now I just know I'm going to be checking his side constantly 7e8d1c6e.gif

I am such a worry wart :(

Meanwhile, Merlin seems fine, I have to stop him from doing zoomies in the yard because it's too hot :rolleyes: and his appetite is as good as ever. He is a bit lethargic but he is ALWAYS like this when it's this hot & humid.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest KansasGrey

Kerry,

Sorry you are in the middle of so much worry but think positive. Keep an eye for regrowth and hope for the best. I know how much you love that boy.

Jan

I guess being angry is counter productive now, but I would most certainly want to know what that growth was. I am sorry that happened. Mistakes do happen and we are all only human but dang. :(

Hopefully it is nothing and Merlin will be just fine. Fingers crossed.

Argh. Hopefully it was just a lipoma. And yeah, if it comes back I'd sure be looking for the vet to do a second sampling procedure at no charge. Glad the mouth thingy came back as "not to worry".

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad to hear Merlin feels so good. Very disappointing that they "lost" the other specimen. I get so disgusted at the lack of care and concern and inefficency like that which it seems you always have to wade through when dealing with vets. My thinking is they are supposed to be professionals-heaven knows we pay them as if they are- and then they do something incompetent like this. I can't help but think if it was their dog it wouldn't have happenned. It gets old. Kind of makes it hard for me to ever trust them. Anyway please don't worry too much. I have had so very many "growths" taken off of so very many dogs over the years-even young dogs- and it was never any issue. I'm sure the wizard will continue to shine! Thanks for the update.

I'm with you, Kerry, frustrated not to have that pathology back, but also relieved that the Wizard's mouth is in good shape and he is feeling so well. grouphug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Well Kerry I would be feeling exactly the same way as you are. The only thing I could suggest is asking her if there is any benefit in sending tissue margins now, even just small edges? That would probably only be for peace of mind I guess.....

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Thank You for the update, I have been praing and thinking about Merlin. I am very happy to hear that the Tumor in the mouth was a epulis. :colgate But I would be upset and I would want to know about the growth... I know we all make mistakes, but that is unacceptable, I am sorry I know this is going to keep you worried, but please try not to worry too much even though I know that is very hard not to do.. We will be praying that it never comes back... :hope:grouphug and that it is not Benign and it never will be...

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Thanks... to be fair to my vet, she is very competent and she is wonderful with my two. Merlin adores her. And she is always calling me after hours and putting extra time into visits... we have never felt like mere numbers there. It's very disappointing, but I need to let it go I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestion, Susan - when I go there on Monday I am going to ask her what she thinks about sending tissue margins.

The vet has already told me that if the growth comes back she will remove it for free.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest jettcricket

Glad to hear that the "thingy" in his mouth was innocent, but I'd feel the same as you! I'd want to know....how did they lose it??? Did someone accidentally throw it away or what??? That stinks.

Regardless, I'm sure your boy will be just fine. smile.gif

Guest FreddyGirl

Take a deep breath. There is no changing the past.

You will keep a major eye on Merlin Kerry and the second any changes occur, in you will take him.

He will continue to be healthy, the ONLY option.

That is understandably frustrating. And disappointing---you just want to KNOW! Thank goodness for the good news, and hopefully, there will be no more problems.

Keep feeling good, sweet boy.

Kerry, I guess a lot of men have trouble admitting they are worried. My DH is the same way.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sorry that there's still a worry there for you. I'm sure she feels as bad about it if she is as good to Merlina and Sagan as you say. I would imagine her staff has heard about it big time, and this "mistake" won't be made again.

Watching and waiting are the two hardest things to do when you care so much for your kids. Try and not stress about it *too* much!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greyt2love

Kerry, I am so happy to hear there is some good news for Merlin ! On the other hand, I would also be nervouse and worried, and yes, angry, that you don't have an answer about the other growth. I know mistakes happen, but, jeez, in these kinds of things, they just shouldn't! It would be unacceptable for a human, and it is unacceptable for our Wizard! I guess all you can do now is keep a close eye on him and watch to see if it comes back. All appendages are crossed here ( and you know that's a LOT of appendages in this house!) that you never see it again !!!

Guest Paige12

Gah!! Two words! Happy --- Frustrated!! I am Queen of the WorryWorts and I know I would have to really focus on not reaming someone for loosing the tissue! Keeping good thoughts for Merlin, and You, and your DH!!

I'm glad his mouth is OK. I wish you didn't have to endure the uncertainty about his side. (Maybe it was the lab?)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytbookert

Oh man, Kerry! I'm so sorry that the biopsy was lost. I know I'd be worried too! Sending many good thoughts for you and Merlin!

That does cause one worry when they lose it! I hope it was nothing anyways and we'll keep with that thought and that Merlin is fine.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest ChasesMum

unfortunatley that happens - in human medicine and animal medicine. It likely was the tech that did it, likely by accident (though since most lumps get sent off, it should be standard to set it aside) I've seen tissue samples be stuck to the underside of drapes and still clipped into forceps and the like, and "lost" (or tossed, etc)

At least your vet will redo for free if it comes back. and as someone else said, likely the staff has gotten raked over the coals for this, and more care will be taken in general from this point on.

still sucks tho.