Neyla Needs Your Thoughts

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I responded to Dr. Couto's email asking how confident he was - here is a part of his response:

Unfortunately the changes are very characteristic of a primary bone tumor Jen (high degree of confidence). A needle aspirate can confirm it, as I said before. The lesion is realtively early, but we do not know if that correlates with prognosis (we are currently looking at it).

:weep

I just can't believe this is happening. I had somehow convinced myself that this could not happen to Neyla, like somehow we were special. I feel like I could deal with this with any other dog, but Neyla...she's my heart and soul, my first dog, my perfect match, my spook turned into uber confident girlie, my heart dog. Part of me wants to believe this isn't a death sentence and the other part is telling myself it's time to put on my big girl panties and quit kidding myself. :brokenheart

We have at least caught it relatively early, I am trying to hang on to that. I've been back and forth with a tech from Dr. Canapp's (my ortho's) office today and we have an appt set up for Friday morning to get chest x-rays and blood work done. I'll talk wtih Dr. Couto in teh morning and the tech is also supposed to call me back with contact info for Philly and U of Florida who are doing cutting edge treatments. The latter in particular - the stereotactic radiation - interest me, but it means no FNA so I need to get a lot more info before I can make any decisions.

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the support you've given us already. I know I will need a lot more of it in the days to come. Right now I am just so overwhelmed.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so, so sorry. I hope you can find some treatment that will give you hope and Neyla lots of time. My prayers will be with you both.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest IrskasMom

I am sure , you are overwhelmed, we are here for you and with you. Lots and lots of Prayers and gentle Hugs for you and Neyla. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

but you two are special, jen. maybe not in the being-immune-to-anything-bad-happening sense, but special nonetheless. you have her, and she has you. no one else can make that claim.

we're here for you if you need to talk.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

but you two are special, jen. maybe not in the being-immune-to-anything-bad-happening sense, but special nonetheless. you have her, and she has you. no one else can make that claim.

What he said...and so very beautifully too. It is true as well.

you have people on here (me!) who are praying for you, who don't even know you...but recognize her name from being on here so much. lots of hopeful thoughts your way, and hoping for the best for you and Neyla.

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest jettcricket

....a friend of mine told me when my Jett was diagnosed with mast cell cancer and they took a grade 3 tumor under his arm and I was just devastated - prognosis was not good. Like you, Jett was my heart, he was Momma's perfect boy, such a sweet gentleman. A friend of mine told me, "Lin...it is was it is. You will deal with it and you will get thru it". So you pull yourself up by your boot straps and like you said, "you put your big girl panties on" and go on and make the best decisions for your baby girl that you can.

Osteo is such an horrible monster...I pray that one day they will find a cure or at best a way to keep the numbers down so others don't have the heartache of having to go thru this.

I wish you much more quality time with your sweet girl and good days ahead.

I always tell people for all of us each day is a gift.

Sending you comfort and tons of white light. grouphug.gif

So well said steve....

Jen...so many thoughts of strength for you.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Jen, I am soooooo sorry you have to walk this path like too many of us already have. To mimic what many have already said, you will not walk this journey alone. I still clearly remember the day we got the same news about our heart girlie Lulu, and I so know the feelings you are having right now. People who I never even met offered support, and even though they were not there for me physically, it helped for me to know they were there in thought and spirit.

I too received a load of wonderful advice and support from this group when we went through this 15 months ago. It was all wonderful, but I remember one very important piece which I pass on to everyone who has to go through this. As hard as it will be to do, you need to be positive around Neyla. When you need to scream, cry, rant and vent, lock yourself someplace private to do so. These babies are so sensitive to our feelings, and will mirror what we are feeling, and ultimately it makes them feel bad too. Trying to stay positive, even though your heart is in a million pieces, is the best thing you can do for your baby girl.

Stay strong Jen. You say you cannot do this, but like we all find out…..we can….and do manage, because as difficult as it is, it's the only way we can get through it.

You and Neyla will remain tucked tightly in my thoughts as you take this journey.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What he said...and so very beautifully too. It is true as well.

nod.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gifcandle.gifhope.gifcandle.gifhope.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Just grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif 's for you and Neyla, Jen, I'm so sorry you are looking at this. sad1.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Our collective hearts sank....I'm so sorry. Your mind is going to be consumed with thoughts of what to do for your precious girl, and it will be hard to think of much else. So many decisions. You will do what you feel is best for Neyla because you love her so much, and understand her best.

Everyone is here for you, always remember that.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm sorry for Neyla's diagnosis, and I send prayers for wisdom, courage and strength for you in the coming days grouphug.gif

MrAlexTheDog, on 19 May 2010 - 05:45 PM, said:but you two are special, jen. maybe not in the being-immune-to-anything-bad-happening sense, but special nonetheless. you have her, and she has you. no one else can make that claim.

This was such a beautiful sentiment and so well said - take it to heart. Again, sending :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

cry1.gif I'm so sorry you and Neyla are having to go through this. grouphug.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound