I Need Some Prayers For Sterling, Please

Guest ZBippy

I've posted several times about Sterling's various problems, most seriously his kidney disease. He has started to not eat again (last night and this morning he would only eat a PB&J sandwich so that's what I gave him) and also is having a lot of problems with his hind quarters. His thighs have lost a lot of muscle mass and he's very shaky. I've noticed that he even seems to have trouble holding himself in position to pee (he squats rather than lifting his leg.) He's having trouble going up the 3 stairs between the garage and the house and hasn't been upstairs in our house for a week. He has trouble getting up on the couch so we've stack two dog beds on top of each other on the floor to give him a nice cushy spot there. When he does try to lay down, he seems to have trouble actually going through the motion of laying down. Plus he's panting quite a bit so I can tell he is in pain.

We have an appointment for Sterling at 10:45 this morning so I would appreciate all of your good thoughts, prayers, white light, whatever you've got. I don't want my sweet boy to be in pain and miserable but I just don't know if he's at "that" point yet. I've never been through this before and want him to get better and stay with us but I also want him to have a good quality of life.

Sending prayers for Sterling. :hope

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Sending lots of prayers for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Healing thoughts for your sweetie!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

sending many prayers for your handsome boy!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thank you all so much! Wow, GT is so awesome!

So we're home from the vet. Sterling has a 107 temp and his weight is down to 61 (from 68 in September and 70-something a year ago.) My aunt (vet) is running bloodwork to try to figure out what is going on. She definitely sees that he is having some sort of neurological issue but we're not totally sure if it is related to the temperature (infection) or if there are two issues going on.

One thing I mentioned is that I just started him on his monthly amoxicillin (he takes it the first week of each month to keep his mouth in check) on Tuesday and it was shortly after that he seemed to take a downturn. Plus last month we were on vacation the week he was on amoxicillin and our dog sitter called us, alarmed, because he wasn't eating at all so we had her buy him canned food. Then when we got back, he seemed a lot better but that was also when his amoxicillin week had ended. So could he be having a reaction to the antibiotic? So my aunt got out the drug book and looked it up amoxicillin can cause upset stomach, not eating, and neurotoxicity when given for extended periods. One week a month is not considered an extended period but Sterling seems to have an exaggerated response to illness. (He had a low grade infection in September and his white blood cell count was 37,000.) So *possibly* the antibiotic we have been giving him to keep him well is actually making him sick.

So right now we are switching him off of amoxicillin and onto bactyl and metronidazole, upping him from 1 aspirin a day to 2 aspirin a day, and then leaving the enalapril and soloxine as is. His bloodwork will be back tomorrow morning so we will adjust for any other oddities at that point.

My aunt also agreed that at this point we can feed him whatever it takes to get him to eat and not be concerned with special dog food. In her words, "ground beef, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, whatever it takes!"