Hemangiosarcoma

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. It took Dear 2 years ago. Its very agressive. I will NEVER put another dog through this type of cancer & surgery ever again. I PM'd you.

I hate being brutal, but HS is a very agressive, malignant cancer. Most dogs have had HS a month before the symptoms are apparent. Loss of weight is the main one. Dear went from being a beautiful, fat, sassy black greyhound to a bag of bones. He was depressed in days. Ran a fever of about 103. WBC was 90,000 vs 10,000.

Most websites state that surgery & chemotherapy gives the dog anywhere from 3 to 6 months.

hermandio sarcoma

Edited by Heehoo

I almost could not stand to read this thread. I hope and pray the diagnosis is wrong. Hemangiosarcoma is the silent killer.

Viceral Hemangiosarcoma took my beloved Catwalk. An incredibly fast onset. She went from active and happy to at death's door within a few days. We counted ourselves lucky because most hemangio dogs just seem to die in their beds without warning. We had some few days warning, at least, because she got visibly sick.

We decided to let her go, because she was so very, very sick. And in pain. All Tufts could offer (post diagnosis) was a possible 6 weeks on chemo, with pain control. We were not sure that the pain control would be enough and were afraid that the chemo would not make her feel any better. It broke my heart to let her go, but I hope we made the right decision, at the right time. For her -- not us.

My thoughts are with you at this hard time. I would never second guess your decision. I hope you will not second guess mine.

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Looking at the pictures you posted......it looks like the hemangiosarcoma that our whippet Piper had. He had it all over his body when we got him out of the shelter and we were able to remove the growths for awhile, but it eventually started growing internally and that's when we had to let him go. :cry1 Piper had LOTS of these growths and we did probably 4 or 5 surgeries in the 2 years we had him, removing many of the growths by laser. They did grow rapidly though. I got pretty good at finding new growths on him almost daily. :( I don't know what grade his were and I remember chemo as a treatment option, but I remember the odds not being very good. I sure hope it turns out to be something else.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Before you completely despair check outthis link: caninecancerawareness.com

There is a big difference between dermal and visceral hemangiosarcoma. Dermal has a much better prognosis.

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

:candle:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

We're praying here as well that the news is negative.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts for your boy (and hugs for you).

Edited by maryz

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Oh no :( I really really hope that the results come back negative tomorrow... I am sending lots of good thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed for Hobbes and for you :goodluck:candle:goodluck:candle:goodluck:candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Praying that the biopsy is negative. Sending lots of prayers meanwhile.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hobbes didn't end up having the biopsy done today. The vet heard an abnormality in his heart this morning something she didn't hear just 3 days ago. He had a chest and abdominal x ray preformed and unfortunately the tumors have metastasized through his entire heart as well as his spleen. Hemangiosarcoma has been confirmed :weep

With the advice from my vet we made a very difficult decision just to give palliative care. There is no cure and any chemo /radiation/surgery that we would do would only give us a couple extra months, and it would be for us, not for him. So with that we will just love and spoil him for as long as we have left with him be it a couple weeks or a couple months.

Please keep him in your prayers.

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I'm so sorry you got this devastating news. Prayers that you have some quality time left with him.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I'm so sorry. :cry1 I had really hoped for better news. Spoil him rotten and treasure the time you have left with him.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound