Hemangiosarcoma

For those of you that have been following my previous thread about Hobbes blood filled lumps, we got some really bad news today :(

The results of the needle biopsy came back and after discussing it with some other vets, my vet feels its hemangiosarcoma a aggressive form of blood vessel cancer.

Hobbes is going in for a full biopsy of one of the lumps on his back tomorrow to confirm the diagnosis. Unfortunately because it has already spread to so many areas of his body the prognosis isn't good :(

I'll I can do now is pray the results come back negative.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry.

I'm hoping hard that the full biopsy is negative. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am sorry. Could it be the dermal type? Our whippet had that 2 years ago before we got him. The vet was able to remove the tumors with clean margins and we haven't had a recurrence. Good thoughts coming your way!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest eaglflyt

Oh my, I'm hoping for good biopsy results and that it's not anything malignant or that can't be managed. You must be so worried. I'm praying for you, too.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I'm trying really hard to stay positive but I just can't seem to stop fearing the worst.

I am sorry. Could it be the dermal type? Our whippet had that 2 years ago before we got him. The vet was able to remove the tumors with clean margins and we haven't had a recurrence. Good thoughts coming your way!

I only talked to my vet for a few minutes about it but she didn't think surgery was an option at this point. Hobbes currently has around 20 or more some on the skin but also a few deep rooted in the muscle tissue as well. He seems to get a couple new ones every day so I don't no how much good surgery would do.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Did you happen to talk with Dr. Couto or OSU?

My vet did consult with him already. I didn't ask her specifically what he had said but I know she did talk to him as well as a few other vets including a dermatologist and a pathologist. I really trust my vet, I know if she doesn't know something she is the first one to ask for help.

Prayers for a negative biopsy :hope

Just looked at your previous thread. Dusty had bumps that looked like that several years ago. Biopsy came back as hemangiomas (I think) benign, blood-filled bumps. He will be 13 in January! Hoping that's what you're dealing with.

Edited by DustysMom

Prayers for a negative biopsy :hope

Just looked at your previous thread. Dusty had bumps that looked like that several years ago. Biopsy came back as hemangiomas (I think) benign, blood-filled bumps. He will be 13 in January! Hoping that's what you're dealing with.

I'm really really hoping that is what it is too.

I discussed hemangiomas during the first visit. At that time she didn't feel that is what it was because of how many he had and also it was in so many different areas of his body. She said it rarely migrates across the body like that, but he is a starnge dog so you never know. Here's to hoping anyways.

That's horrendous. :o

A few studies show if it's recognized early enough when it's grade 1 or 2, chemo would work. It doesn't work once it's Grade 3 or 4. I found this out too late though. Our Cullen died from retroperitoneal hemangiosarcoma in Feb 08. It was in the abdominal wall muscles near his left hip. It grew fast once we could see it. He didn't have lots of them; I saw two, one of which was removed. I emailed Dr Couto about this but got no response; I guess I should have told my vet to contact him like yours did.

The sad thing is that Cullen was nibbling at the exact spot for a *year and a half*. I even took a photo of it and showed it to the vet. She said she didn't know why he was doing that. It seems few vets know how to recognize it before it "pops out" nor what to do with hemangio once they find it. If one's dog is repeatedly nibbling at one spot, check for an internal tumor!

I'm really sorry if that's what he has. It's a terrible disease that has no chance of cure unless it's recognized at Grade 1 or 2. Time to push for a cure or at least a way to diagnose it early.

Edited by MZH

Guest BellesDad

I am very sorry and will say prayers for Hobbes that biopsy is negative.

My Belle had Hemangio, the one good thing is she was never in any pain whatsoever. I had 2 wonderful months with her after discovering lump. I so wish it had been more. Crossing my fingers for you.