Hemangiosarcoma

:grouphug I'm so sorry :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to hear the bad news, but you are right to look on the bright side that this one doesn't cause much pain. He will tell you when it is time to go, and in the meanwhile you can spend some very quality time with him.

Hemangiosarcoma blindsided us with Chester, so I can really relate to your pain. I am glad you have the gift of a short window of time to spoil your boy.

{{hugs}}

FL

Guest OurLacyandJax
Hobbes didn't end up having the biopsy done today. The vet heard an abnormality in his heart this morning something she didn't hear just 3 days ago. He had a chest and abdominal x ray preformed and unfortunately the tumors have metastasized through his entire heart as well as his spleen. Hemangiosarcoma has been confirmed :weep

With the advice from my vet we made a very difficult decision just to give palliative care. There is no cure and any chemo /radiation/surgery that we would do would only give us a couple extra months, and it would be for us, not for him. So with that we will just love and spoil him for as long as we have left with him be it a couple weeks or a couple months.

Please keep him in your prayers.

:( This is just so hard to read - especially at work. Prayers for a happy life for him - I am sure he will be, with you.

I am so sorry:( It has to be pretty much pain free because other than some labored breathing episodes, we didn't know Alan had it until that one night when he was weak and it turned out that he was bleeding into his belly and had a heart based tumor as well. But he was fine up to then, we never new anything was serioulsy wrong. So cherish each moment with Hobbes. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Hobbes.

I want to thank everyone for your kind words and support, it really does help so much. I was totally devastated today after finding out the results, even though I already knew it in my heart.

If there is a silver lining to this situation, it's that this form of cancer is relatively pain free. I trust Hobbes will let me know when it's his time to go but until then I see many car rides, home cooked meals and hopefully a few more play runs in Hobbes' future.

I think you're right about pretty much pain free, mainly I think its nausea they have to deal with, no appetite. The only way I knew Dear was sick was he lost so much weight very quickly. Like I told you, I thought it was a bad tooth. That's why when I read on here someone has a dog with a poor appetite...that's one of the main symptoms of this horrible disease. The tumor grows very fast & attaches to everything it can. Mainly the liver, lungs, heart, spleen, etc. Main organs.

One of the things Dear loved was going for a ride in the car. I would put a coat on him, and take him with me to run errands & always let him get out & go with me(deliveries). I went outside with him a lot, just walking around with him. I wouldn't expect him to do strenuous stuff...and Dear wanted to be alone from the other dogs. He'd go in my room & sleep on my bed.

Listen for his breathing, it moved to Dear's lungs very quickly. Give him whatever he wants to eat, catfood, hotdogs, steak, ice cream...it can't hurt him now. Soup, spagetti, shrimp...whatever he wants.

Take lots & lots of pictures. I took pictures of both him & Gogh ever chance I had...

Dr B had Dear on an intravenous drip for antibiotics & that helped his fever.

Ironically all this happened in the month of December & in a matter of weeks.

Oh, I am so very, very sorry. Hobbes was our first secret santa, and we had so much fun shopping for him and enjoying the photos! Please give him as much love as you can, and then some. Enjoy every moment that you have with him.

:grouphug

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I thought about ya'll on the way home from work tonight. Take him out to see the Christmas lights with the window open if he wants it. He will enjoy the ride & you'll enjoy the lights & the drive. It'll be relaxing. It'll also be away from home where the stress is. I know when I would take Dear some where at night, just me & him...I felt a lot better. I was off work the week of Christmas. He had surgery on the 11th, he came home on the 17th...I took him Christmas Eve to get his staples out & it was so cold & frosty outside. It felt like Christmas should be, peaceful. That same day, he received a package by UPS from Tricolorgreys...a stocking with his name on it & a black greyhound. I still put the stocking up...but it was one of the best days.

Edited by Heehoo

I cant thank you all enough for the support you have given to me and my family. I'm blown away by the number of people who have taken the time to either post or send me a pm sharing with me their difficult stories or just to say they're thinking of us. The greyhound community really is the best, I just don't know what I would do with out you guys.

I thought about ya'll on the way home from work tonight. Take him out to see the Christmas lights with the window open if he wants it. He will enjoy the ride & you'll enjoy the lights & the drive. It'll be relaxing. It'll also be away from home where the stress is. I know when I would take Dear some where at night, just me & him...I felt a lot better. I was off work the week of Christmas. He had surgery on the 11th, he came home on the 17th...I took him Christmas Eve to get his staples out & it was so cold & frosty outside. It felt like Christmas should be, peaceful. That same day, he received a package by UPS from Tricolorgreys...a stocking with his name on it & a black greyhound. I still put the stocking up...but it was one of the best days.

I have a fun filled days planned for this weekend. Hobbes and Wally are going on a car ride tomorrow to see Grandma and Grandpa and their little dog Lucky who the boys love to pretend is a rabbit. Don't worry folks, she is actually a medium sized dog who just loves that kind of play as well. Oh the fun the three of them always have together. Plus my parents always have those horrible beg'n bacon dog treats at their house. Hobbes LOVES them but since they are so full junk I never let him have any (although my dad sneaks them too him when I'm not looking :rolleyes: ). I think this visit he can have as many as he would like. Of course on Sunday like every Sunday I'm bringing them to a greyhound run. It's the #1 thing Hobbes looks forward to because pretty much nothing gives him more joy then running with his friends. I'm going to be sure to bring my camera :)

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I'm so sorry it wasn't better news. :grouphug You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Hobbes had a rough day. A blood vessel must have ruptured behind his eye this morning while he was playing with a new toy. He cried out when I went to look at it so off to the the vets we went. He was rolling the eye back so we could only see the white of the eye but once the vet froze the eye it went back to normal. There is no vision loss thankfully but the vet felt he was probably in a bit of pain from it so prescribed some metacam (sp) and some drops on the off chance it is an infection. He is fine now though and she believes the eye will be back to normal in a day or two.

Were just now going to my parents, where my mom has some homemade stew waiting for him. Yum yum.

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

we are very sorry to hear about this sad diagnosis for hobbes. thinking about your family. hugs to all of you.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Flysmom

I am so very sorry about the diagnosis. I sometimes wish we would have a magic wand to make it all better! Enjoy your time with Hobbes and spoil him rotten!!!

Sending tons of positive thoughts and white light for Hobbes and hugs to you and your family.

Hobbes has now had two eye episodes the last couple days. He rolls the eye back and will barely open it, the vet believes he is doing it because he is in some pain but doesn't know why exactly. The first time it was one eye the second time it was both. It only lasts a few hours and then they are back to normal. It's very odd and I don't know if it is related to the cancer or not but it's disconcerting none the less.