Jaynie - Progress Report

Jaynie has been home for one week today! She's doing so well, eating like a champ, active, and as those who read training and behaviour will know, getting into everything on the ground, the most notable "thing" being a dead robin :puke .

Yesterday she had a recheck appointment with Dr. Norris (here is the old thread for anyone not familiar with Jaynie's story).

He just called and the news is really good on the whole:

- NC State tick titer results are back - she's positive for bartonella babesia canis - we will not treat now as Jaynie is asymptomatic, and retest after she is off all meds (more info in post 9).

- Urine and vaginal cultures both negative - Dr Norris asked if there was still blood showing up in her urine - I haven't been collecting it so I don't know - will change her bedding back to the off-white throws, and see if any staining appears. In the meantime she's been on amoxycillin which hopefully cleared up anything that isn't showing on the cultures.

- Latest lepto titer results won't be in for another day or two, so that is pending; now, onto the great news - the bloodwork:

- Her creatinine has gone down to 196! Still above the top end of normal (141) but a huge improvement over the last reading of 250. BUN is 3.9, down from 6.3! I didn't ask about eveything, but he did say it was all looking good. I'll see if my regular clinic has a copy of the report, and if yes will have it e-mailed so I can have a look.

- The only disappointment was the urinalysis - her kidney's are not concentrating her urine too well - her value was 10.10 and the range is 10.01 to 10.5. This was on a first-catch sample.

Pending the newest lepto test results, the plan is to have her go back in about a month to repeat the blood, urine and TBD titer tests.

In spite of all she is eating, her weight is up by less than one pound. A problem I'd be happy to have, but wish she didn't. Our regular clinic is fairly close, so I'll take her up there for weekly weigh-ins, pending our next recheck at the specialty clinic. (She lost 11 pounds while sick.)

In the meantime, she will stay on the prescription diet (along with her much enjoyed buttery one-egg omelet that she receives as a treat through the day).

I am thrilled with her bloodwork, concerned about her specific gravity. Everything else seems to be under control now, pending the lepto titer.

So many of you shared our recent journey, I know you will be pleased as well. Thank you again so much for helping us through that very scary and sometimes dark time.

Edited by Rickiesmom

:yay :yay :yay

It's sounding really really good. I'm sure she'll continue to improve. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thank you for the good wishes - I am so pleased about her bloodwork and hope the lower creatinine is a trend that will continue. Hopefully the SG will be better next time.

Correction: NOT bartonella canis but babesia canis. So the doxy will be allowed to end later this week. Dr. Norris is inclined not to treat for the babesia now, since Jaynie has no symptoms, and since, while she is positive, it's a fairly low positive and the lab agreed it was borderline with an indication of exposure vs. infection. After all she's been through, it seems prudent not to add anything to the mix right now.

We will retest once she is off all meds, probably at the same time as we do the rest, in about one month.

He said a babesia flare-up would explain almost everything she went through.

So I'm off to read everything I can about this disease.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Guest Energy11
Thank you for the good wishes - I am so pleased about her bloodwork and hope the lower creatinine is a trend that will continue. Hopefully the SG will be better next time.

Correction: NOT bartonella canis but babesia canis. So the doxy will be allowed to end later this week. Dr. Norris is inclined not to treat for the babesia now, since Jaynie has no symptoms, and since, while she is positive, it's a fairly low positive and the lab agreed it was borderline with an indication of exposure vs. infection. After all she's been through, it seems prudent not to add anything to the mix right now.

We will retest once she is off all meds, probably at the same time as we do the rest, in about one month.

He said a babesia flare-up would explain almost everything she went through.

So I'm off to read everything I can about this disease.

I have three with low positive Babesia titers. Their PCRs show the disease is not active. But, as you found out, many things can cause a flare up.

Info on Babesia Canis from the experts at Protatek Reference Labs. They tested all of mine.

http://www.greyhoundlist.org/babesia_infosheet.html

Wow- this is really super news. What a ride!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project