Urgent Help For Amber's Soul Please!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dillymom

Thank you for the updates. I breathed a big sigh of relief to see he's home and doing ok.

:goodluck for a restful night for both Amber and Soul

Guest SoulsMom
Hugs to both Amber and Soulman. Thanks Kerry for providing the update. Not sure whether to exhale or not. I hope both Amber and Soul get to rest tonight.

Whew, ok, I'm here finally. Thank you all SO much, I can't tell you how much it means to me and Soul. I was so scared, and about to lose my mind. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's the truth . . . .

Liz, you said it above, I'm still waiting to exhale. The vet and I both thought it was bloat, but the Xrays showed it was not, yet a BUNCH of air in his intestines and some spots on his lungs that could be the beginning stages of pneumonia. Because the medication for pneumonia can cause further tummy upset, I'm supposed to watch him and keep an eye on his temperature to see if it's developing. Any advice on how to take his temp? :unsure He also got an anti nausea shot that really burned, and he screamed his head off :( He turned around and looked at the vet, screaming at her as if to say "make it stop!"

I'm supposed to give him his Flagyl tonight, along with small meals and small bits of water. And if he continues to vomit then he may need to go spend the night at Tufts again. I'm seriously thrown for a loop here, as his symptoms were sudden and severe---nothing compared to how he has acted before. After a good nap he's still panty and seems a bit restless, but yet NOTHING like he was before. I don't want to take my eyes off of him . . . .

Tom, you sure said it about the 'good fart' :lol even before the shot, he seemed better. She said when they turned him upside down for one of the Xrays he let out a good amount of gas . . . .

Again, I can't thank you all enough. I still can't wrap my mind around the day's events, or what brought this on . . .he's eating nothing but the I/D, and these symptoms are not at all like what he's had before. Yet I saw the Xrays, and saw all that gas . . . .I just don't know what to think. And we are both very exhausted . . .

Guest IrskasMom

I am sure glad , it is not Bloat. I would like to know , why would he eat the Rug and Bedding? Did the Vet commented

on that ? Well Soul Man get better and have a restful Night , your Mom to . :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Of course you're exhausted... you've had a long day. Try to get some rest... although I know you'll probably not get much because you'll be checking on Soul through the night.

What a relief he's not in pain right now. I really hope your vet can figure out what brought this on, and the reason behind the spots/hair.

:grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Get some rest Amber, the shot should settle his system down. If you want to check his temp, get a cheap digital thermometer put a bit of sterile lube on the tip...normal temp runs around 102.3. Hope he passes some more gas for relief.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest SoulsMom

You know, they didn't say anything about eating the rug . . . .I think they attributed it to the restlessness from bloat and then forgot about it . . . he doesn't show any other 'weird' symptoms. He's acting his normal self other than the panting and tummy upset.

One of the things that made the vet think bloat was the way he was trying to hurl when she pressed on his tummy. He's stopped panting now, but still 'coughs' every now and then . . .

Carol, thanks for the tip on the temp taking, I was afraid I would have to use a mercury thermometer, and I can never read those.

I'm glad to hear that Soul is home. Hoping he has a good night and you can both get some rest.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest TurnerMiller01

I'm so glad this turned out good and he is home with you... I just now logged on.. since early this afternoon... and missed the whole thing...

Thank you dear GOD for answering GT's prayers for Soul man.

many more prayers that he continues to get better.... :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

and hugs to you too... :bighug

Guest 2Brindles

I admit, I :eek when I saw the update, "resting peacefully." At any rate, I am glad he is comfortable right now and I hope he continues to mend. :candle

I admit, I :eek when I saw the update, "resting peacefully." At any rate, I am glad he is comfortable right now and I hope he continues to mend. :candle

So Iwas not the only one who went :eek :eek and oh NO!

Glad things are settling down Amber.

You try to rest up, too (ya easier said than done).

:kiss2 for da SoulMan

Guest MAXNAV
You know, they didn't say anything about eating the rug . . . .I think they attributed it to the restlessness from bloat and then forgot about it . . . he doesn't show any other 'weird' symptoms. He's acting his normal self other than the panting and tummy upset.

One of the things that made the vet think bloat was the way he was trying to hurl when she pressed on his tummy. He's stopped panting now, but still 'coughs' every now and then . . .

Carol, thanks for the tip on the temp taking, I was afraid I would have to use a mercury thermometer, and I can never read those.

Amber,

Just saw this. Whew. They make us worry so much. Get a cheap digital thermometer from WalMart. I got mine there. It's called Reli On, and they also carry the disposable tip covers. I have a fur kid one and a skin kid one. They worked great for me.

We're thinking of you.

Oh Amber, the uncertainty about what going on is so unnerving! Prayers and good thoughts for you and Soul.

I did once have the experience of taking Piper to our regular vet because he seemed uncomfortable. The only thing they found upon x-ray and exam was lots and lots of air in his intestines. The vet and I had a good laugh about Piper's "gas emergency". How I hope that this episode with Soul will end just as innocuously.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.