Bye Bye Birdie

Guest sweetpea

Guest sweetpea

cockatielonstand.jpg

My little buddie left today.

We spent 15 years together, and he was never sick a single day, but the past couple of days, he just seemed a little

off. I found him sitting on his perch with his head turned all the way to the right, like it was stuck, but then I'd ask him

what's doing, and he'd turn and look at me like I surprised him. And when I fed him yesterday, he was bright and chipper,

but he kept sitting only on his left foot, and his right wing and foot he held up and away, like they weren't his.

If I had to guess, I'd say he might have had a stroke, but by the time I came home for lunch today, he was gone.

Oh, what a spit-fire he was!

I taught him to whistle the song from "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (

) and over the years

it mutated into his own jazz version so that the original tune was nearly unrecognizable (except to me).

He would say "Good Morning" which was also nearly unrecognizable as "good morning" (except to me).

He would say "What's doing?", and yes, only I could understand it.

He was a terrible flyer, staggering around like orville the albatross in "The Rescuers".

He had a habit of careening into mirrors and windows, and leaving a dust outline of himself, and then waddling

across the floor squeaking like nobody's business. Luckily he was such a lousy flyer that he

never picked up enough speed to hurt himself.

Oh how he loved his bath time, chirping and singing and splish splashing away, he was really a noisy little

bugger, but it was a joyful noise to me.

He liked to sit on my shoulder and hide in my hair, and sometimes, for no apparent reasons, he'd attack my earrings.

When Sweetpea came for a home visit (the one where she never left), her foster mom and I were discussing the best

way to introduce her to our cats. Sweetpea stuffed her nose into Succotash's cage and he nipped her, and they understood

each other perfectly from that day forward.

He saw me through 15 years, I will miss his joyful noise.

Buzzy

I'm sorry Buzzy. What a joyful bird. I know there will be huge hole in your heart and your life. Fly like an Eagle, Succotash!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend :grouphug He sounds like he was quite the character :) I'm sure he leaves a big silence. :grouphug

I'm so sorry. Birds make great pets.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I'm so sorry. :cry1 He was a handsome boy and obviously quite a character.

Godspeed Succotash.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a handsome birdy. I'm so sorry he's gone.

Fly away home, Succotash.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GriffinsMom

I'm so sorry for your loss. Succotash sounds like quite a character. It is amazing how our companions fill our lives with such joy and love which only makes it harder when they leave us too soon. :grouphug

cockatielonstand.jpg

My little buddie left today.

We spent 15 years together, and he was never sick a single day, but the past couple of days, he just seemed a little

off. I found him sitting on his perch with his head turned all the way to the right, like it was stuck, but then I'd ask him

what's doing, and he'd turn and look at me like I surprised him. And when I fed him yesterday, he was bright and chipper,

but he kept sitting only on his left foot, and his right wing and foot he held up and away, like they weren't his.

If I had to guess, I'd say he might have had a stroke, but by the time I came home for lunch today, he was gone.

Oh, what a spit-fire he was!

I taught him to whistle the song from "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (

) and over the years

it mutated into his own jazz version so that the original tune was nearly unrecognizable (except to me).

He would say "Good Morning" which was also nearly unrecognizable as "good morning" (except to me).

He would say "What's doing?", and yes, only I could understand it.

He was a terrible flyer, staggering around like orville the albatross in "The Rescuers".

He had a habit of careening into mirrors and windows, and leaving a dust outline of himself, and then waddling

across the floor squeaking like nobody's business. Luckily he was such a lousy flyer that he

never picked up enough speed to hurt himself.

Oh how he loved his bath time, chirping and singing and splish splashing away, he was really a noisy little

bugger, but it was a joyful noise to me.

He liked to sit on my shoulder and hide in my hair, and sometimes, for no apparent reasons, he'd attack my earrings.

When Sweetpea came for a home visit (the one where she never left), her foster mom and I were discussing the best

way to introduce her to our cats. Sweetpea stuffed her nose into Succotash's cage and he nipped her, and they understood

each other perfectly from that day forward.

He saw me through 15 years, I will miss his joyful noise.

Buzzy

I am so very sorry. I just lost my Charlie who I handraised from a baby and who turned 40 in April. Amazing how those feathered babies worm their way into our hearts.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm so sorry for our loss. Cockatiels have such personality! I owned one for 11 years. Chester was a character!

:grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Buzzy, I'm so sorry that your little sweetheart had to leave you. What a beautiful bird and what an appealing personality you described. :grouphug

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Oh, Miss Buzzy, what a wonderful bird Succotash was! What a wonderful memorial you have written about him!

Fly free and fast, singing your big heart out, sweet birdie :grouphug:kiss2

Miss Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Buzzy, I am so sorry for your loss. What a long time you had together - and the house must nowseem so very quiet without his joyful noises.

Deb

Buzzy, I am so sorry for your loss. What a long time you had together - and the house must nowseem so very quiet without his joyful noises.

Deb

Deb

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, Buzzy! I used to have a cockatiel named Flipper. I can hear his little squeaky voice now when I read your sweet goodbye to Succotash.

15 years is a good, long life--you took really good care of the little fellow, and I can tell how much you loved him!

Hugs from Canton, MA,

Susan, former bird keeper

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Buzzy :cry1 :cry1 I am so very sorry... :(

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.