Monty Has A Weird Lump: Chemo Started Post 384

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytloves

Oh crap, What does the vet give him with chemo? I've never had a pet with this kind of sarcoma, so I have nothing to share other then my utmost sympathy. I sure hope you can get him either in to see the docs at Penn earlier or have a vet work with OSU.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytmonty
Is your local vet on-board with the OSU plan?

Sending many prayers for you and Monty.

I spoke with Dr. Vilar at OSU and my vet will be calling him today or tomorrow. He sort of said a version of "staging shmaging" when I told him Penn can't see us for a month. As Monty's cancer will kill him in 4-6 weeks without treatment, we cannot wait if we do decide to do chemo. So the plan is for OSU to talk with my local vet, make a recommendation just based on the pathology and clinical findings, and if chemo is indicated, (which Dr. Vilar feels it is), then try to convince my local vet to do the chemo THERE under supervision of OSU, and using OSU's meds.

D*mn, d*mn, d*mn! I am so, so, very sorry! You have all my prayers. How is Sam doing with all this? :grouphug

Thank you for asking. Sam is not quite as upset as me but he is pretty sad.

Guest greytmonty

Oncology update: Monty has an appointment with a Penn trained oncologist at a private practice in the suburbs Thursday morning. mark and I are taking the day off to take him. They will review his records and do some testing (like bloodwork and possibly an ultrasound) and start his chemo that day if they recommend it and if we agree. They will work with my local vet after that so that he might be able to get some of his treatment at my local vet, supervised by the onco doc. I feel so mad at Penn but so relieved. It is amazing what private practice can do in terms of motivation to get patients in quickly.

edited to add: I bought a Mrs. Smith's pumpkin pie today which I just baked for Monty for his dessert tonight. H--l, if he has 4-6 weeks or only up to a year, let him eat pie.

Edited by greytmonty

Guest trevdog

Continuing to send lots of prayers....and hoping chemo is the way to go.....

Glad to hear they are on the ball, I know how frustrating it is.

Pie will help him feel better I'm sure!

I can't even believe how all this happens so fast. Pat(Phillypups) is always talking about how great Monty is and I always feel like I know him from her descriptions. Please know that he's always in my prayers. Oh, and I second the ice cream!!!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

the pathology report came back: Monty has high grade lymphosarcoma. They do not stage it without an oncologist examining him , checking his nodes, etc. We will make the appointment at Penn asap. I am trying to compose myself as Sam comes home in a minute and tomorrow is his birthday.

Karen--

Thinking of you, Monty and Sam today.

Just read your update, and I agree--let him eat pie. Maybe you need a slice, too?

Oh thank goodness they managed to find a way to see Monty sooner! Please please keep us posted on how things go on Thursday... as for the pumpkin pie, I couldn't agree more!!

Monty sweetie - we're all rooting for you... you (and your mum) hang in there!

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest taylorsmom

Pie is definitely the ticket!! I also agree with the ice cream, Monty needs to be spoiled rotten.

I am so angry at Penn too, Karen--how could an oncology department put off appointments for that long??? I have said it before and I will say it again--there is no magic about Penn's vet hospital. A good caring suburban oncologist is all you need, in combo with your vet and OSU. Can I ask who you are seeing for the oncology consult? I know there is an excellent oncology vet practice out here in West Chester.

I have been thinking a lot about Sam too--what a tough thing to happen around his birthday, poor guy.

Is it true that Monty is only 4 years old? I looked at his page on greyhound data--I cannot believe it. I am still in shock. I told my DH (who you met with my girls at the last West Chester playgroup) and he was speechless.

I'm sorry to hear about Monty. I'll keep all of you in my thoughts!

I agree... you should spoil him rotten!!!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest greytmonty
Pie is definitely the ticket!! I also agree with the ice cream, Monty needs to be spoiled rotten.

I am so angry at Penn too, Karen--how could an oncology department put off appointments for that long??? I have said it before and I will say it again--there is no magic about Penn's vet hospital. A good caring suburban oncologist is all you need, in combo with your vet and OSU. Can I ask who you are seeing for the oncology consult? I know there is an excellent oncology vet practice out here in West Chester.

I have been thinking a lot about Sam too--what a tough thing to happen around his birthday, poor guy.

Is it true that Monty is only 4 years old? I looked at his page on greyhound data--I cannot believe it. I am still in shock. I told my DH (who you met with my girls at the last West Chester playgroup) and he was speechless.

CARES is the practice, they are in Langhorne. Dr. Beth Overley.monty is 4 1/2

Guest taylorsmom

EXCELLENT practice!! They know a lot about greyhounds--several people I know from Taylor's adoption group have had their greyhounds treated there. Please keep us posted, Karen.

Just got in from work to check on Monty-I'm so sorry he got this diagnosis. My prayers and thoughts are with you and

your family at this difficult time. Monty is one of my personal favorites on GT. He is just adorable.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest greytmonty
EXCELLENT practice!! They know a lot about greyhounds--several people I know from Taylor's adoption group have had their greyhounds treated there. Please keep us posted, Karen.

I am so glad to hear that! They have a very good relationship with Queen Village Animal Hosp ( my vet) so I am hoping both practices agree to working together if we do chemo as it will be impossible for me to get monty there on a regular basis with only one car in the family.

Guest kaotic1

I am so sorry to hear about Monty!!! Even considering something wrong with Sam (he has a weird lump too, either a cyst or mast cell) shrivels my heart!! :bighug It breaks my heart to hear about Monty.