Monty Has A Weird Lump: Chemo Started Post 384

Guest greytmonty

:yay What a relief for you, I'm sure! Thank goodness you are pleased with the oncologist and feel comfortable. Sounds like everything is going to work out well. Do you know what chemo protocol Monty will be on? Bonnie started off on the COP protocol (cytoxan, vincristine and prednisolone) for 8 weeks. She did OK with these medications. We've found that the side effects usually don't show up for 3-4 days. Fingers crossed that everything will be just fine for Monty. :)

Offer still stands on the books or anything else that may help you out. Let me know anytime. ;)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news even in small doses is a very "good" thing. Martha Stewart

Way to go Monty!!!!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm here praying for B. You kick butt Monty!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest greytmonty
Greyt update. How many chemo treatments does he need and which protocol is he getting?

Glad to hear he was eating after the chemo - good sign.

Hugs to the both of you.

I will know the protocol next Friday when he gets treatment number two. i do know that it is a combination of injectables and pills, and it involves weekly chemo for 22 weeks (approx) total.

I will get all the info next week when the second path is back.

:yay What a relief for you, I'm sure! Thank goodness you are pleased with the oncologist and feel comfortable. Sounds like everything is going to work out well. Do you know what chemo protocol Monty will be on? Bonnie started off on the COP protocol (cytoxan, vincristine and prednisolone) for 8 weeks. She did OK with these medications. We've found that the side effects usually don't show up for 3-4 days. Fingers crossed that everything will be just fine for Monty. :)

Offer still stands on the books or anything else that may help you out. Let me know anytime. ;)

I do know they have to limit his pred because he was cushinoid from his temaril P two years ago. I don't know the meds names but will know next Fri. He started today with one injectable med and benadryl./

Guest greytmonty
Wonderful news Karen. Hope he enjoys lots of those pumpkin muffins tonight. Way to go Monty!!!

He had his pumpkin pie slice for dessert tonight. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the Discovery channel was taping for an Animal Planet show, and monty and I are on the tape, with our onco vet! The show will be about compassion and how owners deal with grief. I was talking with her about his treatment plan and asked if he could eat pumpkin pie I'd gotten for him. :lol I hope that gets on tv.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Hey Karen,

Having a little computer trouble tonight...

Just got online, and was able to get your update.

:)

So happy you all had a good day! I thought about you all day!

Wish I were there to give you all a hug!

Wishes for an uneventful chemo! :hope :hope :hope , and a speedy recovery!!

Go Monty :gh_runner !!!

I do know they have to limit his pred because he was cushinoid from his temaril P two years ago. I don't know the meds names but will know next Fri. He started today with one injectable med and benadryl./

Karen, it might have been Elspar that was given to him today. That chemo injection is often given along with Benadryl. Bonnie had one dose of Elspar (and the benadryl) when her lymph nodes were up quite a bit a few months ago. She tolerated it well and her lymph nodes did come down right away.

We'll be thinking about all of you. Bonnie sends kisses to Monty. :kiss2

Sending prayers for sweet Monty. I know that you will fight hard sweetie...remember Angel LaceyLaine watches over. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending hugs and drooling a bit re the pumpkin pie reference. Hope your sweetest boy does very very well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad to hear the oncologist was optomistic! Yay Monty! Enjoy that pumpkin pie!

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest greytmonty

Karen, it might have been Elspar that was given to him today. That chemo injection is often given along with Benadryl. Bonnie had one dose of Elspar (and the benadryl) when her lymph nodes were up quite a bit a few months ago. She tolerated it well and her lymph nodes did come down right away.

We'll be thinking about all of you. Bonnie sends kisses to Monty. :kiss2

It was Elspar, you were right. Next week he gets IV Vincristine. The following week he gets oral cytoxan which we can give at home. The following week he gets Adriamycin. That is all I know of the tx plan so far. His drugs over the 22 weeks will be Elspar, Vincristine, Cytoxan, and Adriamycin which are alternated.

Edited by greytmonty

"bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb" It just has to be a "b"! Hope you have many more pies lined up for marvelous, manly Monty! Prayers and hugs all around!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest MorganKonaAlex
His drugs over the 22 weeks will be Elspar, Vincristine, Cytoxan, and Adriamycin which are alternated.

Just FYI - a side effect of Cytoxan is a metallic taste. It made food very unappealing for me... well actually, everything sounded good, but as soon as I tasted it, yuck. Adriamycin will turn his pee red for the first day or so. I had both of these drugs, given together, for my own chemo.

Guest greytmonty
His drugs over the 22 weeks will be Elspar, Vincristine, Cytoxan, and Adriamycin which are alternated.

Just FYI - a side effect of Cytoxan is a metallic taste. It made food very unappealing for me... well actually, everything sounded good, but as soon as I tasted it, yuck. Adriamycin will turn his pee red for the first day or so. I had both of these drugs, given together, for my own chemo.

thank you for the heads up. I am sorry you went through cancer treatment and I hope you made a full recovery .

Checking in on Monty this afternoon. :grouphug Keep in mind...Monty's protocol can change several times...Every other time we went into Oncology...they changed Angel LaceyLaine's protocol. Hug Monty for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.