Polli Is Home

RobinM

Robin & DH, I'm so glad your girl is doing so well. Bless her heart for knowing that somebody could use a kiss from her gracious self.

Sending prayers for continued good healing and many happy days ahead.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin & DH, I'm so glad your girl is doing so well. Bless her heart for knowing that somebody could use a kiss from her gracious self.

Sending prayers for continued good healing and many happy days ahead.

Oh, from your lips...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Robin, just caught up on all the updates now (sorry I missed them!) Overall, it's quite incredible. And the one thing that keeps me smiling consistently throughout is the fact that Polli has you, your DH and the rest of your hounds there to support her. A beautiful, inspiring family, to say the very least. I'm glad she's hopping around, drinking, eating (tripe? Polli, girl, you're brave.) And, to echo the comments of others, she most certainly looks good.

One day at a time. One inspiration at a time.

Guest greytmonty

Sending hugs and good thoughts from us in Philly. I just got back from Dewey with Holly and also with Rhonda, Bodie's mom. He is a survivor now 14 months post amp. He is the most wonderful dog and it was great to see him. I wish Polli YEARS of health and recovery from here forward. Hugs, Karen

Just checking in to see how Miss Polli is doing tonight. I hope her eating streak has continued.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest taylorsmom

So good to hear that Miss Polli is home, safe and sound and eating tripe! Sending lots and lots of healing thoughts and pain-free wishes. Keep up the greyt work, Robin, and make sure to take good care of yourself too.

Oh G-D What a night.

After a rather uneventful day and many cookies eaten, we took Polli out for her last Potty about 10 PM with the full knowlege we would take her again in the middle of the night if need be.

She tripped up the steps and after the 2nd try, she did it but as soon as she got back into the house on the mattress on the floor, she was panting. Really panting. So, I gave her pain meds as it had been 7 hours. That did not help. At 11 Pm I gave her 5 mg of valium. THAT did not help. At 12:30 we gave her 5 more mg of valium. NOTHING. (For furture reference, when she is that stressed out I needed to do 10 mg at once).

The absolute worse thing was the screaming that was happening. A long heartfelt GSOD that lasted many seconds at a time and this went on throughout the night.

Neither Polli or I got any sleep till 6AM. I fell asleep with the bed vibrating from the panting. DH was up at this point.

I called the vet at 8 and she said that unfortunately it sounded pretty normal. She told me not to go 6 hours without pain meds ( I had gone as long as 9 since she didn't apprear to be in pain) because once the pain is out of control, it's hard to get back under.

As far as the screaming, she said she did not believe it was "Phamton Pain" as I heard on other websites it could be. She said she is home and she is frustrated and full of anxiety that she is not able to do the things she should be able to do now that she is home and there is a large incsiion. Had this been a human, they'd be in the hospital a week with morphine drips.

So, I will do exactly as she says and pray that today and tonight Polli starts feeling better. i know that when there is surgery invloved, it can get worse before it gets better. I know that day "3" is one of the worst days and that was yesterday so here's praying that we are now on our way.

Thank you for continued prayers and concerns for Polli. I told her how many people from all over the world love her and have total faith that she will be fine.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Ok Miss Polli...things ARE going to be better...can you believe that in a few weeks you will be running and doing zoomies? Yep...that's right. You have to believe sweet girl. Aunt Patti the RN will tell you...day 3 is often bad for post op patients...it will get better...Much better. You and Mommy try to get some much needed rest. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Hope those meds kick in soon. Sorry you had such a bad night. I would have been in tears listening to that. Good luck!

I was. Sometimes I feel all cried out. Then they flow again. With the lack of sleep, it's not taking much to ruffle my feathers.

I'm waiting, just waiting for my insane neighbor to start with my about something.

More good thoughts coming your way. Last night was a terrible night, let's hope tonight is better and each day after. Hang in there Polli, you will be free to roam soon!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Robin, I know from my own recent spinal surgery, I was told to "stay ahead" of the pain..that is don't wait until it starts to take pain meds, since it may not help as much. But rather, take the meds on the time schedule regardless of pain...with a human that meant for at least the first few weeks (nearly one month for me). I am sure Marybeth can tell you how long to stay on the strict schedule and when to start increasing the time span. she is right about the morphine drip and hospital. Sorry about the rough night. hope everyone is settling down.

Guest PiagetsMom

Celebrate the good moments and do your best to ride out the difficult ones. :grouphug

Thinking of you and sending good thoughts that today will be much better for you!

It sounds like such an emotional roller coaster ride for you to see Polli in this discomfort. I would be a wreck. Hang in there. These are the hardest days for you and Polli but from everything I have read it will be getting better soon. My thoughts are with you and hoping for the smoother days to come quickly.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest EmilyAnne

Oh Robin, I'm so sorry ya'll had such a terrible night. :(

I recently went through some very sleepless nights with Henry being on Valium, confused from seizures and starting PB and having severe anxiety. And I can so relate to the sleepless nights and anxiety part. When you get just one good night of sleep, things will look a lot better. When we are tired it is just incredbly draining on us and we tend to cry and cry. I know, I was there just a few days ago.

Now is just the time to let time pass and remember it will eventually get better. Snuggle with Polli lots and lots as you both need each other very much right now. Henry used to never sleep on our bed with us, he refused. Ever since when he was sick last week, he now sleeps almost exclusively with us on our bed. The more time I spend with him, the less he cries and the less anxiety.

I think our hounds get a sense of security from a strengthened bond during this time.

I am so glad you have GT so you can hear from other's whose grey's have had amputations. Go read a Darcy thread, I bet that will help a little! :)

:bighug

Guest greytmonty
Robin, I know from my own recent spinal surgery, I was told to "stay ahead" of the pain..that is don't wait until it starts to take pain meds, since it may not help as much. But rather, take the meds on the time schedule regardless of pain...with a human that meant for at least the first few weeks (nearly one month for me). I am sure Marybeth can tell you how long to stay on the strict schedule and when to start increasing the time span. she is right about the morphine drip and hospital. Sorry about the rough night. hope everyone is settling down.

I totally agree. I am so sorry you had such a rough night. With human pain control, you have to stay ahead of the pain or the pain meds are much less effective. Find out her maximum dose and at what interval and keep the meds flowing.

Good luck you are in my thoughts.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Robin and Rich,

Please know we thought about you and Polli all weekend. You are and will be in our thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry Polli was painful last night.

You are a wonderful grey-mommy and grey-daddy!!!!

Hugs and kisses sent your way.

Holly

As far as the screaming, she said she did not believe it was "Phamton Pain" as I heard on other websites it could be

Sorry, I believe she is wrong. If it continues, look into neurontin (other amp moms help me out here). I know Max had it and I think Winslow did (phantom pain).

Sending lots of prayers!

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

i heard about the nerontin. I wasn't disimissing that or anything else for that matter. I want her comfortable no matter what type of pain she has.

Have I said this yet?

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS.