Polli Is Home

RobinM

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each hour that passes Robin, is taking you and Polli closer to the point where things start to improve :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Hi Robin -

My dh called me at work this morning to tell me that Polli was home (woohoo) and that you all had a really rough night so I should come check in on you (along with all the other gt'ers who are giving you strength and a little sanity at this point). We remember how tough the first two weeks were - the "mini" gsod's, the high pitched pain yelps, the panting - not to mention your own panting from being exhausted! After everything we went through with Vinnie and then knowing from my own pain meds - keeping ahead of the pain is always best - if I know I am going to be doing something that is going to work my injured area or that I will be doing something that is going to be physically taxing on me, I take my meds before I start - it helps take the edge off so that I can start on the project needed and then lets me control the pain instead of the pain controlling me. With Vinnie, the first two weeks home, we kept him on his meds as we knew that was the hump to get over - after that, I swear it was like I flipped a light switch - no more pain meds, no heavy panting, no gsod - it was the weirdest thing.

We did not have a big pack at home as you do but we did bring him to work every day where we also worried about his interactions with other greys - for the first couple weeks we kept him close and used leash and controlled visits till we were comfortable that if he got knocked into he was ok and he would not get into a disagreement with the others - like a sign of weakness may cause another to be more aggressive type of incident. It gave Vinnie the confidence he needed to run and play and do all the other things he would normally do.

But it was those first two weeks where you are constantly worrying and jumping at every sound, trying to second guess a sigh of contentment against a sigh of pain, are they too hot/cold, is the panting normal or not - did I remember to eat or not? It will get better - just keep coming back here often to keep your sanity - gt'ers are the only reason we didn't end up in straight jackets! Sending hugs & scritches and continued chants and prayers for quick healing.

You know, I'm betting more than anything that she was flustered and a little caught off guard that she didn't make the stairs on her first try last night. That would really raise her blood pressure, which would cause an increased amount of blood flowing throughout her body, which would then make her owie hurt even more.

So, that, coupled with her upset-ness, it took her a long time to calm down and then I'm sure she was freaking out from the pain, which didn't help matters.

Here's hoping you're "over the hump" now and can start having more restful nights :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hi Robin -

My dh called me at work this morning to tell me that Polli was home (woohoo) and that you all had a really rough night so I should come check in on you (along with all the other gt'ers who are giving you strength and a little sanity at this point). We remember how tough the first two weeks were - the "mini" gsod's, the high pitched pain yelps, the panting - not to mention your own panting from being exhausted! After everything we went through with Vinnie and then knowing from my own pain meds - keeping ahead of the pain is always best - if I know I am going to be doing something that is going to work my injured area or that I will be doing something that is going to be physically taxing on me, I take my meds before I start - it helps take the edge off so that I can start on the project needed and then lets me control the pain instead of the pain controlling me. With Vinnie, the first two weeks home, we kept him on his meds as we knew that was the hump to get over - after that, I swear it was like I flipped a light switch - no more pain meds, no heavy panting, no gsod - it was the weirdest thing.

We did not have a big pack at home as you do but we did bring him to work every day where we also worried about his interactions with other greys - for the first couple weeks we kept him close and used leash and controlled visits till we were comfortable that if he got knocked into he was ok and he would not get into a disagreement with the others - like a sign of weakness may cause another to be more aggressive type of incident. It gave Vinnie the confidence he needed to run and play and do all the other things he would normally do.

But it was those first two weeks where you are constantly worrying and jumping at every sound, trying to second guess a sigh of contentment against a sigh of pain, are they too hot/cold, is the panting normal or not - did I remember to eat or not? It will get better - just keep coming back here often to keep your sanity - gt'ers are the only reason we didn't end up in straight jackets! Sending hugs & scritches and continued chants and prayers for quick healing.

Thank you. You get it, that's for sure.

Today, she was kept her on her meds every 6 hours. I decided to give her a 10mg valium before I left for work (12PM) and Dh had afternoon shift.

So far today she is much mellower (thank GOD for valium) and quiet. Good news bad news. She hasn't had a thing to eat yet but she normally doesn't until later. She hasn't pooped yet either and that's a result of the opiates, i am sure.

I plan on calling the vet just ot be on the safe side.

Dh got a little more sleep than I did, it didn't make sence for both of us to stay up with her, but we are hoping she eats tonight and is comfortable enough to sleep through the night.

Tomorrow or the next day we will take off the binding sweater and put on a tee shirt, I hope that makes her feel better.

I love this baby girl. There are just no words. I

am rambling.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending prayers for healing and peace. Hang in there Miss Polli....brighter days are just around the corner sweetie. :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

rambling is good for you - it keeps you sane :lol:wacko::lol - the tshirt helped Vinnie - less constrictive and not overly warm - their bodies are alternating with healing and side effects from pain meds - we gave Vinnie lots of ice to help him too - hope you all get some rest tonight. hugs and scritches.

I'm getting crazier.

Polli hasn't peed since 1pm today. We have taken her out 2 times and she just stands there looking at us. The 2nd time we brought the rest of the pack so she would want to follow them. DH took her, I had them and she was not interested.

No pee. No poop.

She has not eaten today and only has had a few sips of water.

No eating, drinking or peeing or pooping today. NOT GOOD and I am trying not to get upset my it's kind of difficult.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I just can't read about this pup without crying. I hope you all have a better night and Miss Polli is able to eat something soon. Scritches for this beautiful mama. :bighug:bighug:bighug:bighug

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

No eating or drinking = no pee, no poop. Don't worry too much yet. Maybe chicken noodle soup or vanilla Ensure for the menu tonight? And remember, if she was in pain she won't want to eat.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

She peed and drank water at 11:15. I can not believe the things that are making me so happy. Now, Maybe, just maybe she will want to eat a little. I fell aslpeep for about 20 minutes.

We will try and spend some time seeing if she is interested in eating. When we have gave valium in the past, she has eaten like I have never seen before. I think the opiates are making her not hungry.

Good nite... Thank you all.

Guest grey_dreams

Hope that Polli continues to get well. Baby steps, baby steps. At least she finally drank a little. Maybe today she will eat a little too. Sending all good thoughts your way.

Maybe a little ice cream or yoghurt that she can lick?

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!