The Thank God He Still Has 4 Legs Thread

In a couple of hours Da Bones will be home . . . . sporting all 4 legs! What wonderful news. Good thoughts coming your way and I hope Mom had a good night's sleep.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CorbysMom

Adam and I are on our way to a Meet & Greet, but I wanted to stop by to say g'morning and cheer Bones on as he makes his way home, where he belongs.

Heal, Bones! ;)

Guest ShelbyzMom

I told Derek last night that Bones still had his leg, he was happy.

How is our favorite patient doing now that he's home?

Shelby sends her healing kisses to him, she wants to come up there but your kitties would have to hide :P

Hi Nancy,

Just read through your thread, my goodness how scary for you and Bones. I am happy to hear will be on the road to recovery.

Bella, the puppy, had a major surgery on her leg when she was 15 months old, required several casts and had to try to keep her quiet for a long time. Luckily this happened in the summer, it is much easier to keep a cast dry without snow and ice.

I used a baby sock over Bella's cast to keep it covered, it also deterred her from chewing. I did use an IV bag also when it was really wet out. The other thing I did was put duct tape over the bottom of the sock to prevent her from ruining the bottom of the cast from it rubbing on the ground.

I have also used Pattersonville in the past, the Doc you had has a great reputation, probably not the best social skills but it sounds like he got the job done. Best of luck to you and hope Bones is felling better soon.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

just checking in on Da Bones...how's he doing, Nanc? :grouphug:hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'm sure your extra busy making sure Bones is comfy but just checking in and letting you know that you all are on my mind.

Good morning everyone. DaBones is.......................HOME!!!! :yay :yay :yay

Guys, somewhere in the back of my little pea brain I knew this but in all the goings on I just..........I don't know.......forgot?

This is not a leg break, it is a shoulder fracture. So..........no cast, no dressing changes.........nada.

The vet tech who took care of him (Lisa, yikes is she good!) told me he was awake and TRYING to get to his feet 30 minutes after surgery ended. It took him 2 hours but he finally succeeded. She said they do not see a lot of greyhounds there, but DaBones has changed the staff's opinion of them. ;)

This place is very high tech and very good. I would not hesitate to go back there again. People skills are lacking, but I am not a people person either. I am not paying for pleasantries. I am paying for skill and I got that, in spades.

Bones had a good night. He had a little spit up this morning that concerned Lisa, but he regurgitates at home too. He was just so anxious to get out of there.Hhe heard our voices as soon as we walked in and he started howling at the top of his lungs. He used to do that when I would try to leave him with someone else at a M & G. He has not done it for a long time, but he reverted back under these stressful conditions.

O.K.................if you are squeamish..stop here. I am going to post a picture of Frankendog. He is bruised and purple and a mess. And this didn't have to happen.

Many, many thanks to all of you and hats off to Dr. Thomas S. Bowersox DVM ( who came in to discharge his patient) and the staff of Veterinary Specialties Referral Center, LLC.

Bones.gif

tomato, tomahto, leg, shoulder :P

oh my...as much as it hurts to see him like that, it feels good to see him home, and in one piece...even if the one piece is held together with metal. give that boy a gentle scratch on the head for me!!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I have a CD of before and after x - rays. They are truly astonishing. I can't seem to figure out how to get them off of the Cd bit I am going to keep trying. I think you would like to see them. Awesome job of restructuring.

The gal who did the estimate was off, by about $1200.00. The hospital capped the bill at the highest estimate I was given and ate the $1200.00. They didn't have to do that, I offered to pay the whole amount. It is their policy to not charge the client if they underestimate the bill.

I have a lot more respect for this practice than I did on Thursday.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Wow does that actually look pretty neat and clean.

OK so no cast or wrap to worry about, cool :)

Now I"m sure the vets told you, you are going to see drainage and more than likely swelling in his lower leg. IF you worked in a hospital before you will totally know this :) but don't freak out ;)

Also hydro therapy for the lower leg might work well. A gentle running of the hose on the lower leg with a bit of pressure from the water will help break up the swelling and get it to disperse quicker.

Oh and I have no clue on shoulder breaks. We only had one girl that we had repaired with a shoulder break and um well let me just say the vet's office sucked and the out come was not good :(

I'm just really amazed at how good that really looks :D

Oh the poor guy :( that looks great though, I would be interested in seeing the x-rays. How long before he is good as new? I don't recall reading that anywhere

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

I am so glad to see Bones home. He looks much better than I expected after the surgery - they did a great job with his injury. Bones is relieved to be home, you are relieved to have him back - now the healing begins! May you have a quick recovery Bones! :getwell

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending lots and lots of healing thoughts...so glad things worked out well at the hospital too. I bet you're both glad to be home. Get well Bones...we're all thinking about ya here!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So glad he's doing better!

Go Bones! :)

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Wow does that actually look pretty neat and clean.

OK so no cast or wrap to worry about, cool :)

Now I"m sure the vets told you, you are going to see drainage and more than likely swelling in his lower leg. IF you worked in a hospital before you will totally know this :) but don't freak out ;)

Also hydro therapy for the lower leg might work well. A gentle running of the hose on the lower leg with a bit of pressure from the water will help break up the swelling and get it to disperse quicker.

Oh and I have no clue on shoulder breaks. We only had one girl that we had repaired with a shoulder break and um well let me just say the vet's office sucked and the out come was not good :(

I'm just really amazed at how good that really looks :D

Great minds think alike. I was thinking hydrotherapy too. They recommended hot packing it. I have never been a fan of hot packing, but I will try it for a day or two and see how it goes. They know their stuff, I don't .

He looks good. They cleaned him up well.

Keep an eye on that drug patch though, I'm assuming it's Fentanyl.

It is. It comes off Monday.